Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive Ioniq Electric 2020 and usually visit at the weekends for over night stays. What is the best and most cost effective way to recharge it in and around central London, particularly the west end? Do you recommend source london where parking is free but I pay for charging, or pay to park somewhere where charging might be very cheap or free?

I usually get to London late on a Friday with little or no charge left. I stay one or 2 nights and return on either Saturday or Sunday evening. I would like to head back with a full charge if possible. The parking is free on street at those times but the rapid chargers seems to be mostly in paid car parks. The other option I have is to leave it parked on street using a type 2 charger, which is fine as I don't use the car during my stay much.

I would be very much interested in hearing from others who use charges in central London in similar scenarios.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
139 Posts
I drive Ioniq Electric 2020 and usually visit at the weekends for over night stays. What is the best and most cost effective way to recharge it in and around central London, particularly the west end? Do you recommend source london where parking is free but I pay for charging, or pay to park somewhere where charging might be very cheap or free?

I usually get to London late on a Friday with little or no charge left. I stay one or 2 nights and return on either Saturday or Sunday evening. I would like to head back with a full charge if possible. The parking is free on street at those times but the rapid chargers seems to be mostly in paid car parks. The other option I have is to leave it parked on street using a type 2 charger, which is fine as I don't use the car during my stay much.

I would be very much interested in hearing from others who use charges in central London in similar scenarios.

Many thanks!
Where abouts in central London are you staying?

I'm living in Paddington with no off street parking so always use public charging. Some supermarkets give you 2/3 free hours parking on Pod Point (7kw) chargers - not long enough for a full charge or to park for a long time though. There are Polar/BP Pulse 7kw chargers dotted about depending on where you will be.

I find Source London really expensive as they charge per minute, (to include parking fees) not per kwh - although they do have an overnight cap so that may be your best option then move the car in the morning.

Another option for overnight would be Ubitricity lamppost chargers (5kw? - @ 24p/kw) - many are in resident bays but there are some resident bays that only apply Mon-Fri till 6.30pm.

ESB are expanding their rapid chargers (I think about 30p/kw) in London - some new ones at Hammersmith and Hyde Park for example, and of course Shell recharge and BP have some rapid chargers at some filling stations. Have you checked Zap Map for recommendations?

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
279 Posts
There's a couple of chargers on-street in the West End, there's a few either side of Oxford Street but normally in use. Parking cost is much cheaper if you have an EV, and free on Sundays I think.

Not sure exactly where in London you stay but I think I've seen some around the north side of Regents Park, not far along from the Zoo.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
I tend to stop at a rapid on the way into London (nice warm battery) - until the speed drops off/ I get bored of waiting/ I reach enough SoC that I can get to full on a convenient AC post in the time I will be parked. That kinda depends as near my parents' house is either 3.6, 5 or 7.2KW depending on what's available!

It depends where exactly you're headed as to what's the most convenient.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I use Source London. Have you heard about the overnight cost cap?

Overnight cap 8PM-7AM (only valid on 7.4kW charge points): charges are capped at 4h

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,156 Posts
If you're coming into London from the North or Northwest, this might be useful in the future:-

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
Good news, but I think Franklin's PR department might be pulling a bit of a fast one here.

50 fast charging points (22kW AC) ... . The fast chargers take 1-2 hours to fully charge a car battery
There can't be many cars that can fully charge in 90 minutes on 22kW AC! A 30kWh Zoe maybe. The vast majority are going to max out at 7kW, maybe 11, and have a much bigger battery.

Why make such a silly promise?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,156 Posts
Good news, but I think Franklin's PR department might be pulling a bit of a fast one here.

There can't be many cars that can fully charge in 90 minutes on 22kW AC! A 30kWh Zoe maybe. The vast majority are going to max out at 7kW, maybe 11, and have a much bigger battery.

Why make such a silly promise?
Because press releases are made by PR departments, not people who might actually know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
279 Posts
We always park at Westfield. Easily accessible off the A40, plenty of (free) charging points, and only a few stops on the tube from the west end.
This is what we often do, to be fair the parking cost is fairly inexpensive, especially for London.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everybody for the responses. The source London cap is very handy to know about. Couple of posts asked me where I stay. I stay in Hammersmith not far from the station. On the last day I tend to hang around in West End so would like to park there and leave from there. I tried Westfield last time the cable got stuck in the chargers and I had to wait an hour and a half on the phone to get through to some one. And they couldn't help either in the end so I'm not so keen on Westfield chargers. Thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Not too far from the West End but there's a couple of Pod Points at the National Theatre car park in Waterloo, car parking cost isn't too bad either.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,528 Posts
Although ideally nicer to combine the two, you might have to separate the two issues as what is best for parking and what is best for charging might not have one solution. There are some rapid chargers at the BP fuel station in Hammersmith, W6 8BJ. It may be easier to spend an hour there charging, and then you’ll be free to park wherever is convenient. I believe in Westminster, EVs can stay for up to 4 hours in on street parking bays. You just have to pay the minimum amount, less than £1, so the Wardens know at what time you arrived.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tried Westfield last time the cable got stuck in the chargers and I had to wait an hour and a half on the phone to get through to some one. And they couldn't help either in the end so I'm not so keen on Westfield chargers. Thanks.
When was this? I ask because they had new chargers installed in 2019, which are just bog-standard Chargemaster chargers that you'll find in their thousands across the country. The old Source London chargers (the grey ones) were indeed useless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts