Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am awaiting delivery of my Leaf ( mid July ) and would like to use it to travel from North of Portsmouth to Dorchester to visit my sister. My sister only has street parking so I will have to use public chargers. EV maps show a council car park with 2 points ( but only 1 for public use). The Nissan dealer in Dorchester don't show up on any maps , but I just rang them and they say they have "medium" chargers , not rapid , and I could use them in the the day.
Does anyone have any experience of charging in the area , any advice would be appreciated , possible costs , cards needed etc . Thanks .
Nigel

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
dorset is a real charging desert, however the county council has funding for deployment of rapid chargers. That said I have heard nothing from them and the likelyhood is they will be run by chargemaster so will be too expensive for people to use unless its a real emergency

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Does anyone have any experience of charging in the area , any advice would be appreciated , possible costs , cards needed etc . Thanksl
ZeroNet has a few locations in Dorset that might be useful if you have a Leaf with the 7kW (32A) charger option. No cards are required but you may be expected to make a purchase (drink from restaurant or pay for car parking, etc).

http://zerocarbonworld.org/zero-net

Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 14.00.11.png

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live in Dorchester and am due to take delivery of my Zoe on Wednesday, I did have a drive down to the car park at the council offices earlier to look for these chargers but I can't find them! Any ideas where they are?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks like it's my fault, I've been looking in completely the wrong place! I just assumed it was the new council offices, it's not - behind the old one! I've just been and had a look on my way to work this morning, once found all is good, council had their own leaf plugged into one side with one spare socket and space clearly marked for EV's

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good , ( you get up early ) .Adam when you get chance could you tell me what cards you need , and costs of car park and or electricity . Also the site says is a type 2 plug is that correct ?. Enjoy Wednesday . Thanks .
Nigel

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nigel,
Its on the Charge your Car network, I will chaeck the plugs.
I have applied for a card and am just waiting for it and a couple of others to come through. Wednesday should be interesting as I have to get the car back from Birmingham, like I say, as yet no cards! I did phone Ecotricity who have the charger at Chievely Services, they have told me if the card does not come through in time to just call them up before I leave and again when I get there and they will activate the charger from their end - I'm just hoping that's possible and It goes smoothly - we shall see!

Adam

·
Registered
36 Posts
Made it home from brum at 2.30 and got back to Bmth around 6.30 which I didn't think was too bad. I took it steady at 50mph all the way in Eco mode. I stopped at Moto Cherwell valley for a top up, wasn't really required at that point but charger was free, it was quiet so I thought I'd have a go as it was my first time. I then stopped at Chievely services at Newberry, filled Zoe up to 100% from around 20%, took just under 30 mins. Was very impressed with both charging points although I have to admit it tends to draw the crowds! Anyhow, all back fine.

But that then comes back to locally round here, but of a panic tonight. I'm waiting for my Home charger & work charger to be fitted, hopefully in next 10 days say British gas. I left Bournemouth (my work) to home in Dorchester tonight, hadn't yet topped up, range said 37 miles, distance is 32! Anyhow, I made it to the council offices here, the ones this thread was started about. Council leaf was all plugged in, spare charger waiting for me (Zoe now warning me she needs a recharge desperately) I flashed my card on the charge point and got the wonderful sight of an error message!! Something along the lines of charge point not available for my card. I phoned 'charge your car' it seems the council are allocated one side of the charge point, public the other - you might know they were plugged in the public side. Council offices all closed till tomorrow, only other place was Little Chef at Winterbourbe Abbas 5 miles away, I made it pulling into the car park as Zoe was telling me she was slowing down! Charged up now, with dinner at little chef tonight.

I will be phoning 'charge your car' and Dorset County council tomorrow to find out what's going on.

Still very happy though :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Adam , enjoyed reading you adventure , did you speak to the Council , something has changed because for 1st time I've looked the charger is shown as available ? Does the Little Chef require a card ?

Nigel

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nigel,

Yes I have managed to sort the problem out, after talking to the council over twitter last night (power of social media) they have been in contact with me today and are now plugging their car into their socket! The guy there has also had a sign made for me too to make it clear which to use and emailed all the relevant staff that use their car so we shouldn't get a problem again. I'm assuming this was why it was always showing unavailable as they were always plugged into the public side.
I have been to it tonight, it's working fine - right hand socket is for our use.

Adam

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Little chef is a Polar unit and you need a Polar card or you can activate the unit via the 'Polar Instant' iPhone app - good job as I've had no card through yet. It is a chargeable point however it didn't seem to charge me at all.

Adam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts