Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Leaf 40kwh Tekna
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Covid dependent, we're taking our Leaf to the Vandee mid west France in Summer. We are booked on Portsmouth to St Malo ferry and it's an easy 160 miles down to our campsite.

I have got Chargemap and Plug Surf all and cards. Has anyone got any tips / advice for a stress free continental excursion?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Kona64
1,697 Posts
There's a genie point at Morrisons NorthEnd which is about 1 mile drive to the south of the Portsmouth Continental ferry port.
Ironically it's a 1/2mile walk from the Morrisons to the ferry checkin booths.

Or, north of Portsmouth, about 10-12mins drive on down the A3(M) to the Ferry Port is another genie point Morrisons at Horndean right by the motorway junction.
These might be worth using for a cheeky top up before driving on to the Ferry.
(or coming back home before fully heading home on UK roads)

If you've more time to kill on arrival in Pompey then there are some new pod points for you to drink at 6.6kw in Gunwharf Keys -- shops plus historic dockyard. But beware the carpark is expensive there.

I don't work for the Portsmouth Tourist Board but if they want to bung me a fiver .........

·
Registered
545 Posts
There's also a BP charger by the car ferry... to the Isle of Wight.. so don't get confused and drive on to the wrong one!

Have a delve around on the board as this subject has come up a bit, although having had a look myself all I've done is confuse myself as the charging situation over there seems even more fragmented and expensive. ABRP (A better route planner) is a useful app, and others on here have talked about commando cables and schuko plugs to use on camp sites. As the weather and covid situations improve I'm sure the subject will come up again.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The Chargemap card is your best friend for this journey - it'll activate nearly every rapid charger in France. The online map shows all of the chargers along with their live status.

We've done that journey a few times (albeit a little bit further - to Charente-Maritime) and had absolutely no problems; we primarily stopped at Nissan dealerships to charge. The primary reason for this was at the time those chargers were completely free (though I think they're chargeable now) and if you go inside there's always a free coffee waiting!

If you can get a full charge in Portsmouth (see posts above) then you should be able to head straight to Nantes, where there are several rapid chargers available near to the peripherique - I'd recommend E. Leclerc Orvault, which sits right off the main road from Rennes, and has toilets/restaurants/etc.

On the way back, there are a couple of rapid chargers before you get to Saint Malo - one at a park and ride in the middle of nowhere, and one at a Nissan dealership. Alternatively, stay overnight in Saint Malo before the morning ferry back (highly recommended, the place is a holiday destination in its own right) and get a slow charge at one of the many Type 2 plugs in the main Saint Malo car parks near the intra-muros - these all work with the Chargemap card.

Bonne route!

·
Registered
782 Posts
I hope @Glyn Hudson won't mind me sharing this - but his blog has a very helpful document on some of the trips they've done and charging cards, apps etc:

Reactions: DuRam and jonnobris
1 - 5 of 5 Posts