Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick search of the forums suggests threads covering this topic are somewhat out of date.

Does anyone have any recent experience of charging networks in Spain? There are plenty of websites that show charge points but as there are so few EVs in Spain, my suspicion is that the network is rather like the UK maybe 4 years ago with low reliability, lack of maintenance etc.. Certainly, ICEing seems to be a problem in some locations I've seen, but I have no idea about the rapid chargers on the main routes. If anyone has any experience and can provide pointers about what to expect, I'd be interested to hear. What cards/apps would you recommend?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
The forum search function is clearly broken. I think it provides results in chronological date.

There are actually loads of EVs in Spain and a growing charging network. Most of your comments aren't really correct, unless you are talking about some of the more remote places. But that's like saying the UK charging network is poor because of Wales.

First port of call would be to have a look at www.electromaps.com and order their RFID fob for €10 if you are planning on touring.

What EV are you thinking of taking?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
329 Posts
First port of call would be to have a look at www.electromaps.com and order their RFID fob for €10 if you are planning on touring.
Not 100% sure but I think that the electromaps app can also be used to activate charge points that are managed by electromaps so no need for the RFID

For DC charging I think it also would be wise to install the Iberdrola app for the northern part of the country, and the Juicepass app (Endesa) for the south.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Electromaps and ABRP are your friends. Easycharger is the most reliable network (apart from Tesla) but at the moment is operating mainly in the north of the country. Iberdrola is expanding fast too. In the south, Endesa is also expanding the network but ussualy they only install one DC charger per location and it's a lottery whether they work or not. In summary, it depends a lot on the route you want to do. Easy travel in the north. Risky business in the south.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
Not 100% sure but I think that the electromaps app can also be used to activate charge points that are managed by electromaps so no need for the RFID
You're right. Although some points can only be started with the fob.

The app helpfully indicates which can be started from the app or will need the fob.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The forum search function is clearly broken. I think it provides results in chronological date.

There are actually loads of EVs in Spain and a growing charging network. Most of your comments aren't really correct, unless you are talking about some of the more remote places. But that's like saying the UK charging network is poor because of Wales.

What EV are you thinking of taking?
It would be a Zoe 41kWh R110, in the north of Spain. I'm actually in a pretty rural area so my comment about very few EVs applies to what I have seen, but I agree the cities are quite likely to be better and better served. There do seem to be a number of service areas on the motorways with charge points but I have perhaps been put off by the Ecotricity chargers at UK motorway services - sometimes not working, often ICEd or even EVed, never to be relied on as the only option.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
It would be a Zoe 41kWh R110, in the north of Spain. I'm actually in a pretty rural area so my comment about very few EVs applies to what I have seen, but I agree the cities are quite likely to be better and better served. There do seem to be a number of service areas on the motorways with charge points but I have perhaps been put off by the Ecotricity chargers at UK motorway services - sometimes not working, often ICEd or even EVed, never to be relied on as the only option.
The DBT chargers in France and Spain seem to be more reliable. At least for AC and Chademo.

If you give me some town names that you’re going to be in I can have a look at see what I think about the options.

Of course it’s a long way from Kansas so won’t be visiting there myself anytime soon.

But Asturias should be on everyone’s bucket list.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you give me some town names that you’re going to be in I can have a look at see what I think about the options.
I'll be arriving in Santander by ferry, so looking at options between there and Oviedo/Gijón, including motorway options. I'll be heading that way on Friday (but not in an EV) so will stop at a couple of service areas to see if I can figure out if they're likely to be working.

But Asturias should be on everyone’s bucket list.
Sssshhhhhh......don't tell everyone! But yes, it's a fantastic region.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
I'll be arriving in Santander by ferry, so looking at options between there and Oviedo/Gijón, including motorway options. I'll be heading that way on Friday (but not in an EV) so will stop at a couple of service areas to see if I can figure out if they're likely to be working.
Looks like lots of options around there. The ones at the shopping centres are pretty helpful, as are the triple header rapid chargers.

I don't think you'll have an issue in any EV.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I visited a couple of charge points just off the A8 yesterday, and both claimed to be usable with an app (Wenea at Llovio and Recarga Pública Iberdrola at Unquera). Both had CCS, Type 2 and Chademo connectors. However I wasn't in an EV to try them out. There's also an impressive looking array of Tesla superchargers just west of Torrelavega at Reocin, but I was unable to locate the Urbener charger that is shown on Electromaps at the same location.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts