Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in a fairly windy part of the country and I've been wondering about whether charging a car in strong winds is a dumb idea. Here's what I'm thinking:
  1. Charge flaps on the cars I've seen in person seem to be a bit flimsy, and a strong gust of wind at the right/wrong angle might claim it as a trophy (and bounce it off the neighbour's fancy beemer)
  2. A cable flapping in the wind could do a real number of the paintwork.
So before I spend time figuring out how to solve these problems (need to do something while waiting for the car to be delivered), are these actual problems that people have encountered and worry/do things about or am I massively overthinking a non-problem?

(Garage is the obvious solution to both of these problem, but not sure any power in the verse could make me declutter/de-mouse that enough to get a car in there...)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The flap probably depends on the car you have. Charging cables are quite heavy and it would take quite the storm to get them to move enough to damage your paint.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So I live in a fairly windy part of the country and I've been wondering about whether charging a car in strong winds is a dumb idea. Here's what I'm thinking:
  1. Charge flaps on the cars I've seen in person seem to be a bit flimsy, and a strong gust of wind at the right/wrong angle might claim it as a trophy (and bounce it off the neighbour's fancy beemer)
  2. A cable flapping in the wind could do a real number of the paintwork.
So before I spend time figuring out how to solve these problems (need to do something while waiting for the car to be delivered), are these actual problems that people have encountered and worry/do things about or am I massively overthinking a non-problem?

(Garage is the obvious solution to both of these problem, but not sure any power in the verse could make me declutter/de-mouse that enough to get a car in there...)
Haha! A man after my own heart. My driveway is a west-facing wind tunnel and I've got worries about the flimsy-looking charger flap on the Zoe in a strong blow (or even a bouncing wheely bin banging it off!). Cable should be ok as it's pretty heavy, but I'll be interested to see what people say about wind damage!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Wrong idea, always charge in the wind as UK will have highest level of wind turbine power. Next best is to charge on sunny day on home solar, or go to a Bannatyne Instavolt with solar panels on the roof, look at Bannatyne Rotherham.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
If you add a wind turbine close by, that will reduce the wind speed a bit by removng energy from the wind itself, and putting it into your car! A win-win !! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks for the replies, glad to hear that it seems to be a non-issue :) Still a few months until I actually get the car, so plenty of time to ponder other non-issues until it arrives.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts