Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time since I posted on here! I know a lot of you non motorway charging not such an issue. Had our leaf 6 years now and Salisbury is still on one rapid charger (currently broken), around 30% of 7kw around seem to be broken too! (And likely in use due to huge amount more EVs on road). We can no longer take our now 65 mile EV out on the road longer distance!
It all feels contrived, done to throttle the EV market. No desire to add any serious infrastructure. I bought a petrol SUV last year and will have to use that longer trips for foreseeable. Next EV will have to be 250 mile plus to cope with the terrible infrastructure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Still broken? Was broken when I tried to use it a while ago. Ended up going to the next service station to ecotricity which was on free vend. Kinda made up for it..
Yes the infrastructure is bad, would people put up with petrol stations like that? No..
Basically always have a plan B and C..
The other thing to point out is the cost of the ones that are working. Obviously fast chargers will be more expensive but when councils are putting in 3kW chargers that cost 24p/kW, that's crazy. It's less supporting the revolution more milking it....
25-30p is the about the equivalent of diesel prices I think.
Rant over..

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don’t know if it’s getting worse, for sure, as I never use it. I joined this forum just over a year before I got my e Golf and I’m glad I did.

I decided that I was happy to go BEV on the basis that it would handle 95% of my journeys and 40% of my miles without ever having to use the public charging network.

Just over a year later I am convinced that I made the right decision. So many threads and comments on here about rubbish charging networks! I think it was on here that someone said anecdotes don’t make data, but the more there are then they do for me.

I’m with you Ryan, but I want 500+ mile range before I go total BEV.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t know if it’s getting worse, for sure, as I never use it. I joined this forum just over a year before I got my e Golf and I’m glad I did.

I decided that I was happy to go BEV on the basis that it would handle 95% of my journeys and 40% of my miles without ever having to use the public charging network.

Just over a year later I am convinced that I made the right decision. So many threads and comments on here about rubbish charging networks! I think it was on here that someone said anecdotes don’t make data, but the more there are then they do for me.

I’m with you Ryan, but I want 500+ mile range before I go total BEV.
I'm lucky enough to be in a two car household. One pure ice. One bev. The ice will sit for a month sometimes as I work from home a lot. I reckon the charging infrastructure is getting a lot worse on the rapid charger per EV on the road basis. I almost never see an EV as old as ours now. And I can see very minor improvements in rapids since 2014 around rural areas.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
My experience has been the opposite. I've only had an EV for 6 months, but the charging infrastructure on my usual routes has improved substantially even in that time. I'd still be happier with a bit more range, but who wouldn't!?

When I first looked at getting my car about a year ago, my thoughts were 'it's just doable for me, and it will get better all the time'.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
257 Posts
Still broken? Was broken when I tried to use it a while ago. Ended up going to the next service station to ecotricity which was on free vend. Kinda made up for it..
Yes the infrastructure is bad, would people put up with petrol stations like that? No..
Basically always have a plan B and C..
The other thing to point out is the cost of the ones that are working. Obviously fast chargers will be more expensive but when councils are putting in 3kW chargers that cost 24p/kW, that's crazy. It's less supporting the revolution more milking it....
25-30p is the about the equivalent of diesel prices I think.
Rant over..
I am with you on this. With the cost of charging using public chargers for many people makes more sense to get an ICE car and get 350/400 miles per tank without all the waiting around for car to charge, not to mention the initial cost of buying EV vs ICE car. For a £25/26 000 you need to get Renault Zoe for example, you can get a new Audi A1 with petrol engine that will give you 50+mpg in return or a new Mercedes A class with the same results. Both of them are much better cars overall and you can cover 450/500 miles on a tank.
Now...charging at home is completely different story and much, much better solution. Unfortunately a lot of people don't have space/driveway etc to do so. It will take some time for the country to replace current cars with EV.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Long time since I posted on here! I know a lot of you non motorway charging not such an issue. Had our leaf 6 years now and Salisbury is still on one rapid charger (currently broken), around 30% of 7kw around seem to be broken too! (And likely in use due to huge amount more EVs on road). We can no longer take our now 65 mile EV out on the road longer distance!
It all feels contrived, done to throttle the EV market. No desire to add any serious infrastructure. I bought a petrol SUV last year and will have to use that longer trips for foreseeable. Next EV will have to be 250 mile plus to cope with the terrible infrastructure.
I'd keep an eye on Zapmap IIWY Ryan. BP have a number of rapids that are presently awaiting activation. There is a thread about it here: Huge expansion of Polar HPCs

Any of those any use to you?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,018 Posts
It's frustrating but it isn't contrived. There are numerous problems with legacy devices that can't be maintained, lack of parts on shelves. Networks like BP's are full of junk because they've bought up networks with some legacy chargers that are now bust and they've focused on expanding rather than maintenance.

Chap from Zap-Map on the FC podcast a while back commented the situation was improving with the percentage of failed chargers slowly reducing but covid has reversed that trend.

There are plenty of improvements coming. Instavolt have done deals with KFC and McDonalds to put their chargers at a significant number of drive-thru sites. These are usually very well located to trunk roads. BP, though much of their network is garbage, have invested in Freewire - who build rapid chargers with battery buffers so they can be installed without needing a very high current grid connection.Then there's the gridserve services at Braintree.

It is going to get better, and I suspect probably quite quickly. At least I hope so. Meanwhile cars that can do a comfortable 200 miles UK wet winter weather are not rare.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
I think it's getting better too. It's been a slow increase in rapids but the ridee seems to have turned and the number of charge points being installed is increasing all the time.
Unfortunately it's going to be hard to make long distance runs with smaller battery bevs for quite assume time, but the options to charge are getting better.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think Salisbury is in some ways a bit worse than many other parts of the country. A great number of improvements elsewhere. But your view may be impacted by the relatively short range of your car now and the routes you would like to use. For example, there are two 50K chargers at Amesbury (in addition to the new Tesla ones there too - useful for others) and some new rapid chargers at Andover.

The vast majority of EVs nowadays have a much greater range than 65 miles so that puts you at a big disadvantage for long journies.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,171 Posts
Yes, its worse now. I'm in the 7th year of EV ownership and still have a 5 yr old frugal diesel. I used to try and use the Leaf if I could but have given up due to unreliability of existing chargers on main motorway routes, and the reliable ones being off main routes. I don't entertain the ones needing membership and problems with apps have meant I avoid those. BP don't at the moment have them where I need them most.
So for long trips say over 100 miles each way, I automatically take the diesel unless its a place I know, Broadstairs say, where I know there is a good back up and I can stay overnight. It saddens me that the needs of EV customers have been put last in the business models of many providers and that government money has been spent unwisely.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh
187 Posts
Things have improved massively on some routes since I got my first EV in 2015. Especially over the last 12 months or so.
I have to go from Folkestone to Manchester once a month at the moment in my Ioniq 28 and the A1/A1(M) is very well served with 2 and 4 charger locations. That route is a non issue now even in my small battery car.
We even did the A1 and across to the Lakes in the summer and every stop I made was at a 4 charger site. Ionity and Instavolt.

Having said that we went to Norfolk a couple of months ago and had a complete nightmare with a 2 charger BP ultra site on both the outward and return journey which was a bit of a wake up call.

The only network I really trust at the moment is Instavolt which seems crazy.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,156 Posts
Things have improved massively on some routes since I got my first EV in 2015. Especially over the last 12 months or so.
I have to go from Folkestone to Manchester once a month at the moment in my Ioniq 28 and the A1/A1(M) is very well served with 2 and 4 charger locations. That route is a non issue now even in my small battery car.
We even did the A1 and across to the Lakes in the summer and every stop I made was at a 4 charger site. Ionity and Instavolt.

Having said that we went to Norfolk a couple of months ago and had a complete nightmare with a 2 charger BP ultra site on both the outward and return journey which was a bit of a wake up call.

Sounds like the new Gridserve site at Braintree isn't far off your route to Norfolk?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Having said that we went to Norfolk a couple

'Tis true. Instavolt charging sites are the best, except it's often a detour to get to one. If you wanted to stop in Colchester on route to Norfolk, you'd be lucky to find it.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,156 Posts
Thats a lo......ng detour.
I was going off your mention of Folkstone.
Google maps for Folkstone to (say) Norwich shows only 2 miles difference for the 3 most logical routes:-
  • A11 (172 miles)
  • A12 with a diversion via Braintree (174 miles)
  • A12/A131 between Brentwood & Thetford via Braintree (174 miles).

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,129 Posts
My experience has been the opposite. I've only had an EV for 6 months, but the charging infrastructure on my usual routes has improved substantially even in that time. I'd still be happier with a bit more range, but who wouldn't!?

When I first looked at getting my car about a year ago, my thoughts were 'it's just doable for me, and it will get better all the time'.
Likewise - had mine 20 months or so and the amount of rapid charger options on my frequent longer routes is at least 3 or 4 times what is was back in April 2019.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have been driving a BEV as my only vehicle since 2013 and in that time the charging infrastructure has improved exponentially. With the new hubs opening up long journeys will be a breeze. Off to Bournemouth from Cheshire later in the week and will stop off at Instavolt hub at Banbury and enjoy a Costa. What could be simpler than that?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have been driving a BEV as my only vehicle since 2013 and in that time the charging infrastructure has improved exponentially. With the new hubs opening up long journeys will be a breeze. Off to Bournemouth from Cheshire later in the week and will stop off at Instavolt hub at Banbury and enjoy a Costa. What could be simpler than that?
Yes, that all depends on range but I would think at least one more stop required, depending on vehicle. A lovely Instavolt installation on the M40, and about time, but there are many more routes with dire unreliable and difficult to use chargers. Try the A14. Given the cost of 35p/kWh its not much more expensive, if at all, to take a 60mpg diesel with no need to worry about problems with chargers.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts