Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I've owned my Volt for almost 5 years now, and it's been great! The only problem is when trying to charge my Volt, the charging unit is tripping. I've tried it out on a few charging units and cables, and it happens every time, so it's the car, not the charging unit.

There are no errors shown on the dash.

I wondered if it might be damp in the charging port (as it's started happening while we've had terrible weather this winter), but after trying some WD-40 and a heat gun to try and dry out the port, nothing has changed, still tripping.

Anyone got any pointers or suggestions?!

I'm having difficulty finding anyone to have a look at it, so any suggestions are welcome. I live in Derbyshire, but appreciate I may have to travel to a garage willing to investigate.

Cheers!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mine had a hairline crack which caused a charging failure during a period of bad weather. Replaced by Bellingers under 8 year HV warranty.

As I recall the initial symptoms were green light on dash followed quickly by the charger cycling on & off (ie Rolec unit clunking repeatedly) and light changing to amber. I assume a different charger would just trip out instead.
Car remained drivable, just couldn't charge it.

Not a "they all do it" problem, but a known issue nonetheless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. When you say a hairline crack, do you mean in the charging port on the car?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,611 Posts
Mine did the same, charger port in the car, out of warranty due to the mileage for me. It is possible to do it DIY if you look through the Chevy Volt forum for instructions.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,928 Posts
Mods - there is a duplicate thread running around with other answers on it. Please can you merge them or at least close the other?

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
@Admin - plz merge with duplicate thread elsewhere, thx.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts