Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased 2017 egolf but it won’t charge from my home 110v outlets. The green on button on charging cable comes on when I connect to outlet but when I attach to car after a few moments or sometimes minutes the on button flashes along with top red warning light, which apparently indicates outlet is not grounded properly. It is an old house but I haven’t had any other electrical problems. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I am reaching out to dealer and an electrician as well. Do you know whether all setting in echarging menu makes a difference? I have it at max but there are other amp settings from 13A down?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks. I am reaching out to dealer and an electrician as well. Do you know whether all setting in echarging menu makes a difference? I have it at max but there are other amp settings from 13A down?
The current rate setting won't make any difference as the granny lead will only charge 10a max whatever you have the car set to.

·
Registered
265 Posts
On mine this only happens when I have the scheduled charging on. you can clear these in the weconnect app if it’s working or in the car menu.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I have actually got it running off an outlet above washer and it worked fine if slow but it means running cable under door to garage. Now considering whether to get 240v dedicated outlet installed or run off 240v dryer outlet with splitter switch and 240v cable. Any thoughts? Looking for most affordable option

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is it dual voltage then if it works off 240v but not 110v? Obviously it will draw twice the current on 110v. What the regs re CV charging points are in the US are I don't know but they're quite strict in the UK and what you're suggesting will result in sharp intakes of breath!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does work on both 110v and 240v. Just need different charging cable and use different outlets. Most outlets are 110c but dryers use 240v

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The current rate setting won't make any difference as the granny lead will only charge 10a max whatever you have the car set to.
I have it working now although it really is granny speed. Thinking about running cable from dryer and buying 240c cable for a speedier charging experience

1 - 9 of 9 Posts