Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having charging issues with my EV6. I collected my car on Thursday, the Sales Chap assisted me with the setup of the car and KIA Connect. Both the car and the app were set to allow off peak charging (00:30 - 04:00). When I got home I plugged the car in all seemed fine, in the morning I got messages saying charging had started also charging completed. I thought I would try the pre heating, so tried that, after a minute or so I got a message saying it had failed due to the Charging cable Unplugged. This was not the case but the pre heat did not work. I did not charge on Friday night. On Saturday I noticed the settings on the car had gone AWOL, I had inadvertently changed from my account to a guest account. Also the app seemed a bit confused.
I visited the dealership on Sunday, my settings were restored under my account, the times were put in for the off peak charging etc. The app was also deleted and re installed and reconfigured with the off peak times under scheduled charging. All appeared good.
When I got home I plugged in the car expecting the charging to start as was set up, at 00:30. Unfortunately the car wanted to charge immediately! The car was locked & unlocked the lead unplugged then plugged back in again , but charging was still starting immediately.
I had to resort to plugging in the car after 00:30 so I could get the cheap rate. This morning I could see the messages showing charging had started and charging completed. I then attempted to pre heat the car, initially it looked like it was doing it, but heating did not start, I got the message saying “charging cable unplugged” so no pre heat, I have noticed on other forums about owners experiencing problems with the pre heat.
I contacted the dealership again today, it would appear none of the technicians have yet had their training to work on the EV6, so they are a bit nervous about working on the car. They are wanting to have a look at the car perhaps on Wednesday so they can discuss the issue with KIA UK.
I suspect it is an issue with the KIA Connect app rather than a problem with the car settings, but is may be that something needs switch on or off to allow the car to do the scheduled charging as requested.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
@gordon - I have had a similar issue on the Kia App saying car is not plugged in when it is actually plugged in. Similarly stopping pre-heat. Will do some more tests. I use off peak charging but get charger to control this. I.e. pushes 7kw to car at 00:30 this seems to work.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@gordon - I have had a similar issue on the Kia App saying car is not plugged in when it is actually plugged in. Similarly stopping pre-heat. Will do some more tests. I use off peak charging but get charger to control this. I.e. pushes 7kw to car at 00:30 this seems to work.
Hi Goldfish120, I use the car/app for the scheduled charging as my charger is not a SMART one. It was fine for my MINI for the last 2 years or so.
UPDATE on my charging. I had a call from the Workshop Manager Mr Kevin Rowntree, he was off yesterday and knew nothing of m problem until he got to work this morning. I explained what the problem was, he then asked if I was using UVO or KIA Connect, I told him Connect. he said he would give me a ring later after he’d been in touch with KIA UK.
True to his word he rang me back and said he would like to check the car and the app. He also asked if he could visit me at home, rather than drag me down to the dealership again, (15 mile away).
He arrived a little early, we plugged the car in to demonstrate the immediate charging, guess what? The car went to scheduled charging straightaway, the dash indicating this. I felt a bit stupid as the car made a liar out of me. Kevin explained KIA had been working on the app and an update was available this morning. It was 13:45, we tried resetting the scheduled timing to 13:50, sure enough the charging started as planned. We tried the pre heat, this also worked. So it looks like the update on the app has resolved the issue. I shall keep you posted.
Thanks to Kevin from SG Petch for the home visit.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi Goldfish120, I use the car/app for the scheduled charging as my charger is not a SMART one. It was fine for my MINI for the last 2 years or so.
UPDATE on my charging. I had a call from the Workshop Manager Mr Kevin Rowntree, he was off yesterday and knew nothing of m problem until he got to work this morning. I explained what the problem was, he then asked if I was using UVO or KIA Connect, I told him Connect. he said he would give me a ring later after he’d been in touch with KIA UK.
True to his word he rang me back and said he would like to check the car and the app. He also asked if he could visit me at home, rather than drag me down to the dealership again, (15 mile away).
He arrived a little early, we plugged the car in to demonstrate the immediate charging, guess what? The car went to scheduled charging straightaway, the dash indicating this. I felt a bit stupid as the car made a liar out of me. Kevin explained KIA had been working on the app and an update was available this morning. It was 13:45, we tried resetting the scheduled timing to 13:50, sure enough the charging started as planned. We tried the pre heat, this also worked. So it looks like the update on the app has resolved the issue. I shall keep you posted.
Thanks to Kevin from SG Petch for the home visit.
That’s great, I was getting with mine the “not plugged in” message when it was plugged in this afternoon. However if I used my Zappi app to push power to the vehicle it would work and take the power so it was plugged in! Anyway tomorrow I have it charging at 00:30 and then a climate and defrost cycle scheduled for a departure at 06:30. In theory this pre-conditioning should trigger the Zappi to allow power to go to the vehicle. We will see 😀. I will also check to see if there is any IOS app update available for Kia Connect. I have a BMW i3s so same software as Mini so I know this works well. Just trying to understand the logic of the Kia and the app does seem to tell me some wrong things on occasions.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update
the car charged fine last night on scheduled charging.
but the pre heat still refuses to work. I have been in touch with SG Petch, who have spoken with KIA Technical. KIA are asking if I’m using the KIA cable, I’m not as the type 2 cable is tethered to my wall box.
I am going to visit the dealership this afternoon to try the pre heat whilst plugged in to the dealers charger, see if that makes any difference. I will also take a couple of type 2 cables I have. I have a curly type 2 I used on my MINI and another unused type 2 cable I bought off eBay some months ago. It should be interesting to see what happens

·
Registered
494 Posts
Update from my end. Also Preheat failed but charge took place I use charger to allow power to vehicle. See message below from Kia Connect.
Rectangle Font Parallel Electronic device Magenta

However car is connected and Zappi charge is saying car is thinking about pulling power.
Font Screenshot Circle Technology Automotive design
Note the hour glass symbol on car so the cable is not unplugged.

Car took 7kw during night to charge the vehicle (even though saying it is not connected). In summary EV6 is saying charge cable is not connected but it is, it is taking the charge when power is available but pre-conditioning is not taking place. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is the same alarm message I am getting. I have not touched the car or the cable since overnight charging so I know the cable is still connected.
KIA are suggesting that there may be a fault with my cable, hence my trip back to the dealers. Cable has worked fine for the last couple of years on my MINI
will let you know what happens today.

·
Registered
494 Posts
That is the same alarm message I am getting. I have not touched the car or the cable since overnight charging so I know the cable is still connected.
KIA are suggesting that there may be a fault with my cable, hence my trip back to the dealers. Cable has worked fine for the last couple of years on my MINI
will let you know what happens today.
It is not the cable, I am using a 3 phase cable and it is working fine with BMW i3s. Same specification as the Kia cable.

I have spoken to Zappi - It seems a pilot signal is sent from a charger to the car, the charger then knows the vehicle is connected. So the charger is saying a vehicle is connected but the car is saying a charger is not connected. The car is only recognising connection when the power is sent. Once the vehicle is at at 100% a signal should be sent to the charger to say precondition, it would seem that some communication has taken place as the “hour glass” symbol is saying the charger is awaiting an instruction from the Kia but that instruction has not been sent.

show them this thread or send the link by email. Also does the EV6 do over the air updates or is it a dealer visit?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is not the cable, I am using a 3 phase cable and it is working fine with BMW i3s. Same specification as the Kia cable.

I have spoken to Zappi - It seems a pilot signal is sent from a charger to the car, the charger then knows the vehicle is connected. So the charger is saying a vehicle is connected but the car is saying a charger is not connected. The car is only recognising connection when the power is sent. Once the vehicle is at at 100% a signal should be sent to the charger to say precondition, it would seem that some communication has taken place as the “hour glass” symbol is saying the charger is awaiting an instruction from the Kia but that instruction has not been sent.

show them this thread or send the link by email. Also does the EV6 do over the air updates or is it a dealer visit?
Been back to the dealership, we tried various cables and got the same issues on whatever cable we used. The Dealer has now logged a call with KIA so we’ll have to see what their boffins come up with.

What I want and expect to happen, is for the car to charger on scheduled charging between 00:30 & 00:40, then allow me to switch on the pre heat at say 08:30 before I leave the house at 09:00.
we can ONLY get the preheat to work whilst the car is charging.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KIA Connect
I have been having charging and pre heat problems with my EV6. Initially I could not get the car to do a scheduled charge.
It worked on the first night, but I have had problems since. I also cannot get the car to do a pre heat unless the car is currently charging.
I have been back to the dealer, tried various things including different charging cables, but have not been able to get the car to Pre Heat. The dealer has logged a call with KIA. Since my visit to the dealers I have not needed to charge the car, I did try last night as the battery was down to 48%.
The original problem occurred again where the car goes to immediate charge. I tried all sorts with the app but was unable to get the car to do a Scheduled charge. To cancel out the peak rate charge I had to select ‘stop charging’ on the app.
My off peak electric is 00:30 - 04:30. At 00:35, I checked but scheduled charging had not started. I tried various things but could not get the car to start charging, so I gave up and went to bed, as I put my phone on charge, I got a notification from Connect that charging has started at 01:04 that charging had started. When I awoke this morning, I checked my phone, charging finished at 04:41! This is outside the scheduled times set in Connect and is on the peak rate.
I did a refresh on the app to check things over, the new range is showing 230mile but the battery was still showing 48%. I went to the car which shows 230miles on 79% battery. The app still showed only 48% charge, despite many refreshes. I rebooted m phone to see if anything had been frozen, now the status screen shows no data!
Whilst the car is great the KIA Connect app is absolute RUBBISH! I emailed my dealer to advise him of the problems and I suggested dumping Connect and trying UVO, he agreed.
Who else is having problems with KIA Connect?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Gordon, Kia Connect it turns out is a basket case. I posted on the Zappi Forum and there are a load of people with e-Niro’s also saying it is pretty useless. If you go to the Apple App Store and read the reviews they also highlight challenges, some are really funny. Same with the Hyundai App used with the Ioniq 5 seems to be same App but re-skinned.

The BMW app works seamlessly if Kia want to play with the big boys selling £50K cars they really need to get this sorted. It is a shame as everything else is great.

Kia EV6 charger connected but saying not connected. I asked for tips from e-Niro users as they have had more time to deal with this apps crazy issues. Seems refreshing 6 times is standard, Perhaps a thread in the general Kia Forum on the app may be appropriate.

See this for example:
myenergi-Kia EV6 charger connected but saying not connected.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,740 Posts
So the Kia EV6 won't pre heat when it's unplugged or thinks it's unplugged at all? That seems a big omission as most people would want to pre heat/cool regardless.

With charging issues it can be something daft like the locking pin isn't working properly. Some cars are fussy about exactly what angle and speed you plug the cable in at. If you get it not quite right it tries to lock the cable in before the plug is in properly so it looks ok but then decides later to either not start charging or it finishes early.

Can the charge timer just be set in the car without using the app at all?

I'm sure there were previous issues with Zappis and some models that meant you just had to change a setting on the Zappi and it would then work fine with scheduled charging.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gordon, Kia Connect it turns out is a basket case. I posted on the Zappi Forum and there are a load of people with e-Niro’s also saying it is pretty useless. If you go to the Apple App Store and read the reviews they also highlight challenges, some are really funny. Same with the Hyundai App used with the Ioniq 5 seems to be same App but re-skinned.

The BMW app works seamlessly if Kia want to play with the big boys selling £50K cars they really need to get this sorted. It is a shame as everything else is great.

Kia EV6 charger connected but saying not connected. I asked for tips from e-Niro users as they have had more time to deal with this apps crazy issues. Seems refreshing 6 times is standard, Perhaps a thread in the general Kia Forum on the app may be appropriate.

See this for example:
myenergi-Kia EV6 charger connected but saying not connected.
Goldfish 120 yes they are the same problems I have been getting, it is a right PIA!
I have removed the Connect app from my phone and downloaded the UVO app, it appears the same, but have yet to try it out. My battery is still at 78% so does not need charging
The UVO app still opens in Kms! So I’m not convinced the older app will be better than the new one
Yes as you say the BMW app works well, it does on my MINI.
It is disappointing that KIA can produce a good £50k+ car but seems unable to make the app function the way it should. It WILL pi55 off new owners very quickl!!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
So the Kia EV6 won't pre heat when it's unplugged or thinks it's unplugged at all? That seems a big omission as most people would want to pre heat/cool regardless.

With charging issues it can be something daft like the locking pin isn't working properly. Some cars are fussy about exactly what angle and speed you plug the cable in at. If you get it not quite right it tries to lock the cable in before the plug is in properly so it looks ok but then decides later to either not start charging or it finishes early.

Can the charge timer just be set in the car without using the app at all?

I'm sure there were previous issues with Zappis and some models that meant you just had to change a setting on the Zappi and it would then work fine with scheduled charging.
I have spent a bit of time this afternoon trying to find out it there is a way to programme the schedule within the car. I can not find it. However have set up schedule using app and then plug in Zappi with fast charge. Did the usual refresh 6 times, spin in a clockwise direction once and then stand on one leg and refresh again. The app then displayed something like “awaiting schedule” and Zappi said “charging delayed”so all seemed, good, half an hour later Zappi still says charging delayed but Kia Connect now says “not plugged in”. Well tomorrow morning I will see what happens 😀

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I were you I would ignore the Kia app and remove any car/app schedules. Then setup the schedule you want in the Zappi/myenergie app.

The above works perfectly for me on my E-niro.
I can’t do that. In June 19 I got a pre smart Rolec charger and have used the MINI app successfully for the last 2years or more with no problems. Unfortunately there is a serious problem with the KIA app which needs resolving VERY SOON!

·
Registered
494 Posts
That's doesn't sound right.
Zappi should be in eco+ mode and the display and app should say "waiting for surplus". "Charge delayed" means that Zappi is ready, but the car isn't.
With Zappi it seems to work on boost and Eco plus although Car says “Not plugged in” on the app. So I am trying this tonight, I have enough charge for my trip to work and back so not mission critical. Will see what it does 🤦‍♂️

1 - 20 of 53 Posts