Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seem to have an issue with my otherwise faultless ioniq.
Sometimes when charging, the plug is locked in even when the car is unlocked and the charge has stopped. Have fixed this by locking and unlocking the car.
However, when charging out and about yesterday, it wouldn't take a charge from the fully functional charge genie point and the plug was locked in despite the charge point not acknowledging that it was connected. In the end I had to use the emergency cord in the boot to unlock it.
(oddly it did eventually charge after about 3 attempts)
The granny cable charger shows an error sign when trying to charge at home.
Any ideas? I suspect a faulty charge socket and think I've read about someone having this issue before?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm having some difficulty with my charging plug not releasing from the car. Not yet sure where the problem is. I eventually did get it to release, but I'm not sure how. I'm now trying to monitor what I need to do to make it work reliably.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I was expecting to fight to get the plug released this morning, but the plug released on unlocking the car. I unlocked the car using the key fob, not the door button.I know this shouldn't matter, but next time I will use the door button to see if this still allows the release. At the moment I am trying yo put some logic to why I have struggled to release the plug. I have not had to use the emergency pull cord, but I only had the car Friday, and have charged 3 times.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have been to the dealership about this and they said my trickle charger/3 pin brick was faulty and will be replacing it.
More significantly they acknowledged that the charging cables can get locked in the socket on a number of cars (their test car included). As yet there is no fix other than to cycle through locking and unlocking the vehicle a few times until it releases... That or pulling the emergency release cord in the boot.
They said they are expecting a recall on it at some point soon...

·
Registered
537 Posts
What I have found is that it is all to easy to reset the off peak charging schedule back to zero. If you the don't realise this has happened you can ask for a scheduled charge, but the car goes to charge now, even though scheduled is still selected. I am wondering if this is how the plug is then locked in the car socket. Since discovering this unintentional resetting of the schedules, I have not had my plug locked into the car. I can not be certain of my logic yet, as I have only done 4 charges in total. However, I recommend you check the above. When you set the times and save, then go back and check, the keys left to operate are Cancel and Clear. This to me is ambiguous. Does Cancel me reset times, or just clear the screen? Does clear mean reset times or clear screen. To be safe I press EV button to escape screen. This leaves your schedule in tact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had issue with charging yesterday, stopped charge on ac before 100% and as I pressed the power button on dash a charging error fault came up. To get this to clear I had to turn car off then back on again. The green car symbol then came on. I now notice the horizontal led on the power button does not come on. I have driven the car a few times today and led still not on. I have charged at home and on public ac charger today with no charging fault. Does anyone know a fix for the power led or should I contact the dealer, thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I experienced the previously reported problem that the car won't release the charge cable. Had to resort to Hyundai Assist (AA).

I phoned my dealership who advised that there is a known problem with a recall out. However, more recent cars are supposed to be without the problem. Mine was delivered 26 June so problem still not fixed so worth noting regardless of car age.

I am booked in to have the recall work shortly.

Can I suggest all owners to follow up and get the work done as it is most inconvenient when it fails at always the worst possible time. If the plug is stuck in the car it is immobilised!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I experienced the previously reported problem that the car won't release the charge cable. Had to resort to Hyundai Assist (AA).

I phoned my dealership who advised that there is a known problem with a recall out. However, more recent cars are supposed to be without the problem. Mine was delivered 26 June so problem still not fixed so worth noting regardless of car age.

I am booked in to have the recall work shortly.

Can I suggest all owners to follow up and get the work done as it is most inconvenient when it fails at always the worst possible time. If the plug is stuck in the car it is immobilised!
There is an emergency release pull cord in the boot of the car. I found that the car unlock button on the key fob works reliably. If not lock the car then unlock again with the fob. Personally I have not had to use the emergency pull, but on odd occasions have had to follow the procedure above to release the plug. I am not surprised to hear there is to be a recall. Surely it should release when unlocking the car via the door handle buttons anyway, with 100% reliability.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks David. That is really useful to know.

Neither the dealership nor Hyundai Assist (AA) either knew or didn't think to advise there was an electrical lead emergency release. AA found the flap release only.

Just been through the handbook and when I knew what I was looking for I found it but not the most accessible information.

I will follow up on my recall, but can put ICE back in the garage for my commute reassured that I am not going to be stranded

1 - 11 of 11 Posts