Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one 5m and one 10m Type 1 J1772 leads, and am about to lose the EV that requires such things.

The question is; given the 'obvious' move to EVs generally, it is not like EV leads are going to become useless, I am sure another J1772 ported car will end up back in my hands at some point in the future?

So, will leads be needed and common currency in the future, like owning a tyre inflator or battery charger, which likewise you don't sell just because you're getting a car with TPMS and a 12V battery warranty?

So better just to keep your J1772 leads?

Or sell, and just buy new ones if ever needed again?

Does anyone want ex-donald leads?

These are the leads that came with top quality ITT plugs from a few years back (I bought 5m in 2013 and 10m in 2016), in fact I think they were amongst the first 32A leads out because 7kW charging wasn't very common 'back then' (the 5m was used with the Fluence, and then the Ampera, so only saw 7kW in 2018!). Nice fully metal release buttons, slick silver plated receptacles, etc, don't seem to get this quality any more, can you still buy these? Just cheap stuff, so maybe I should keep them?

(The leads that came with the Kia in 2018 are really naff and cheap by comparison, horrible to use. I actually had the first lead swapped because it was so bad, the dealer offered to let me keep the first one, and it was so bad I didn't even take it!! Have never used the replacement either, nasty thing.)

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I have one 5m and one 10m Type 1 J1772 leads, and am about to lose the EV that requires such things.

The question is; given the 'obvious' move to EVs generally, it is not like EV leads are going to become useless, I am sure another J1772 ported car will end up back in my hands at some point in the future?

So, will leads be needed and common currency in the future, like owning a tyre inflator or battery charger, which likewise you don't sell just because you're getting a car with TPMS and a 12V battery warranty?

So better just to keep your J1772 leads?

Or sell, and just buy new ones if ever needed again?

Does anyone want ex-donald leads?

These are the leads that came with top quality ITT plugs from a few years back (I bought 5m in 2013 and 10m in 2016), in fact I think they were amongst the first 32A leads out because 7kW charging wasn't very common 'back then' (the 5m was used with the Fluence, and then the Ampera, so only saw 7kW in 2018!). Nice fully metal release buttons, slick silver plated receptacles, etc, don't seem to get this quality any more, can you still buy these? Just cheap stuff, so maybe I should keep them?

(The leads that came with the Kia in 2018 are really naff and cheap by comparison, horrible to use. I actually had the first lead swapped because it was so bad, the dealer offered to let me keep the first one, and it was so bad I didn't even take it!! Have never used the replacement either, nasty thing.)
Sell them unless you are actually planning to buy a J1772 car and are certain to do so. But what current or future cars will use them? They do sound nice, but not a work of art ......

·
27,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm ... maybe ...

OK, what am I bid?.......

·
27,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sell now while they're still worth some money, otherwise you'll wind up putting them in your pile of reclaimable copper in a decade or so alongside those VGA cables, SCART leads and IDE connector ribbons you've got in the cupboard... ;)
Mine are in a big box :)

Reactions: dk6780

·
27,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've only gawn and dun it!

Not sure I am ready to start selling stuff, it is against my hoarding instincts!

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
General rule is if you can’t think of a need for something in the next two years, sell it.

(Yes, my wife says I’m in borrowed time as she doesn’t want any more kids)

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
305 Posts
Haha. My general rule has a slightly different focus .. if it is quicker to order something new from china because you can't find the one you already have, it's time to tidy up ..

·
27,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha. My general rule has a slightly different focus .. if it is quicker to order something new from china because you can't find the one you already have, it's time to tidy up ..
It's a good philosophy, at which point you both order the thing and also start tidying up. See which one appears first ....

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
It's a good philosophy, at which point you both order the thing and also start tidying up. See which one appears first ....
I swear someone stole my £25, 5 year old, smelly running shoes from outside my front door last week.

I have bought a new pair of running shoes, but the old pair haven't shown up.

What am I doing wrong?

·
27,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
230 Posts
I swear someone stole my £25, 5 year old, smelly running shoes from outside my front door last week.

I have bought a new pair of running shoes, but the old pair haven't shown up.

What am I doing wrong?
Not feeding the foxes properly. You are lucky, I had one of a pair stolen from my back door step.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts