Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've now had our Leaf for a month and love it!

I've been reading a few posts where people have said that they don't charge their battery to 100%, but stop it at 80%. This prolongs the battery's life. Obviously things move on and with the newer batteries this may not be needed.

Anyone have any experience or opinion about this please?

Many thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had no problems with my leaf. I think this all comes from that fact that batteries dont like to stay at a high state of charge for a long time, i mean days/weeks,Fully chraging the battery balances the cells and generally isn't a problem at all.

Have a watch of this - he is a battery chemist

·
Registered
675 Posts
FWIW, when charging at home from AC I usually go to 100% so that battery cells balance correctly. When using a Chademo, I'd usually stop at 80% (or sometimes 90% if next stage of journey needs it). after several rapids in a row, I'd try and find a 7kW point (or obviously go home) and do a full charge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your replies and for the video link iou40p. Just watched the video and charging up to 100% is a good idea as it helps balance all the cells, which will have different charging rates.

So up to 100% overnight it is.

Many thanks and happy EV motoring!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Obviously charging to 100% at home is a good idea if you're going to be driving the next day. What batteries don't like is being left idle at high states of charge for long periods.

PS: Does anyone know why some users have a little green circle on their icons, when others don't?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts