Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so as a newbie I have nothing to add here. Most public charging points are functional, you charge, refresh and get on your way. But I'd be interested to here of any stand-out charging locations. Ones where you think at least, "I'm coming back here if I can!"

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,158 Posts
You mean "attractions" with destination charging?
Like the Harry Potter tour, which has 40-ish 7kW posts for EV owning visitors

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,175 Posts
Durham services on the A1M is a good charger to stop at if you easily get bored while plugged in. You can play a game of 'Can I gain more than 5% before somebody emergency stops my charge?'

It's a single charger on a busy motorway, and a hotspot for impatient drivers, general curious idiots, and youths from the local village who all like to push the big red button while you aren't looking (or are looking, if they're feeling especially brave/stupid)

I realise this may not be the serious type of answer you were hoping for, but it's definitely my most memorable charging location due to the frequency I see this happen there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I guess you’re maybe meaning “interesting towns” and so on with charging points?

if so, there are 2 in Otley, West Yorkshire, in the car park on Cattle Market Street. OtLeyburn is a fine place to look round for an hour (not 2 though ? ) - market days are Tuesday, Friday and Saturday if that floats your boat. Lots of independent cafes, Bloomfied Square is very good, albeit a limited menu (towards the healthy end than greasy spoon). Run by Tony Wright, lead singer with Terrorvision and a thoroughly nice chap. Good butchers too, Middlemiss award winning pies worth looking out for ??

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps thinking of places that may also be viewpoints, great facilities. Perhaps places with a cinema might be good for some people. I have rellies in otley, a great place so might check these out.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eden Project, Cornwall. Only two type 2 chargers last time I was there but a useful charge when spending the day there. Of course Eden Project worth a visit anyhow.
Now these kind of destination charge points are great for those staying for a few hours and hoping to make it a primary charge location. thx.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many of the Welsh National Trust sites have a 13A socket and a Type 2 socket courtesy of Zero Carbon World (but check Zap-map first)
That's very useful. Often when travelling somewhere in no rush we'll try to find a NT or similar property en-route. Typically we'll at least go for a good wallk and have some food & drink. To have one that had a charger would be icing on the cake, so to speak.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
That's very useful. Often when travelling somewhere in no rush we'll try to find a NT or similar property en-route. Typically we'll at least go for a good wallk and have some food & drink. To have one that had a charger would be icing on the cake, so to speak.
Houses and cafés closed from now on, but gardens will be open free to non-members - so a good walk but sadly no food and drink!

(I'm a member, but can't see me making use of it this year. :cry:)

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,381 Posts
Ah those were the days!
Roll on their return. SWMBO is starting to go stir crazy. She's the main driving force for most of our journeys. We've been in self isolation for over a month now.

·
Registered
Kona 64
580 Posts
Baie du Somme A16 in northern France. There is a nature reserve attached, this is probably my all time favourite service area and has super-fast Ionity. But as this is a place to linger at who needs a super-fast and expensive charger?

Chester Zoo with its bank of free podpoint chargers.

NT properties in Wales, Powys Castle for one

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,381 Posts
NT properties
Hardwick is one to avoid for charging (house and grounds I would highly recommend). The charger is no where near the entrance and is on public (NT owned) ground and is used by the locals for free charging when they go for a walk. Was grossly disappointed as it is turn around point for me.

·
Registered
Kona 64
580 Posts
Hardwick is one to avoid for charging (house and grounds I would highly recommend). The charger is no where near the entrance and is on public (NT owned) ground and is used by the locals for free charging when they go for a walk. Was grossly disappointed as it is turn around point for me.
Yes I clocked that one and thought what a dumb place to but the charger.
NT in England are well behind NT Wales and I guess the big hit to income this year will slow roll out?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,381 Posts
Yes I clocked that one and thought what a dumb place to but the charger.
NT in England are well behind NT Wales and I guess the big hit to income this year will slow roll out?
It's the only one so far that I've found like that. Styal, for instance, is right beside the entrance. You need to go right to the end of the car park to find it. They've moved the entrance down there and makes a shorter walk to get to the 'action'.

At my age I'm more interested in finding a loo beside the car park.;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts