Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the Model 3 charge fine with an E-golf charger? I leave it plugged in for my e-golf and it would be good to use it for both cars.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,356 Posts
It should do, unless the implementation of Type 2 is unique to Tesla?

My neighbour borrowed mine for his Nissan Leaf and it worked fine.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had an e-Golf before my Model 3 SR+. I use the same 7kw home charger (PodPoint). Tethered, just plug in and go.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gentlemen. I just wondered if the E-Golf granny charger may be a bit VW specific and will cross my fingers it's not.

Paul, I'm keeping my e-golf alongside the M3 for a couple of years probably. I'd be interested in your thoughts on upgrading to the M3? How does the handling compare?

·
Registered
511 Posts
First, a thought about the granny charger. The M3 will come with one that has a button on it that opens the charge port and unlocks the cable. It avoids the need to use the app or touch the central display. May be worth at least trying it. I expect it will also work with the e-Golf.

As for handling, I think the e-Golf is a very good car. I did 18k miles in 12 months including several long trips up to 960 miles in two days. Used it fully loaded at times including a roof box. However, the M3 is a clear step up. It feels more planted and solid. Much more traction in the wet. And AP is excellent. As you would expect, it is faster and more comfortable. And the Supercharger network is another planet. Both are good cars but in a different market segment.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
I would agree with @PaulD from my own experience. In my case driving the Model 3 came as much less of a revelation than for many other people simply because my experience of driving the eGolf had been so good. Also just getting into an eGolf felt so good and instantly comfortable. But I agree about the traction especially on the stock tyres, which I replaced with Cross-Climates.

I also use the same charger as for our eGolf, which actually charged at only 3.3kw so it’s more than twice the speed with the Tesla. However if you’re relying on a granny charger, be prepared for a long wait..!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts