Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All,
I'm new to the scene, expecting delivery of our Outlander PHEV in March. So, naturally, we've been looking into charging locations, prices, networks etc and bugger me, it's confusing! There seems to be a few networks (I read the sticky post on networks) and various charge maps and apps. But, all the maps, including those that claim to be universal, all seem to have some points missing that exist on others.
So, I have 2 questions
1) Is there a reliable charge map website or App that actually has the best information ?
2) Is there a page that compares the networks regarding prices in particular.

I've noticed that the "Polar" network seems a real rip off with similar prices as other charge points but then with a £1.20 admin fee on top, which in my opinion, is a p*ss take.

Thanks in advance!
Tony

·
Global Cooler
215 Posts
Steer clear of Polar.
They're crooks who'll steal your money.
Get an Ecotricity free card, and buy a lifetime Podpoint card (£15 inc P&P)
That's all that have any economic point for a PHEV owner.
Anything else is more expensive than petrol.
Your point about maps is apposite.
Podpoint posts appear on Zapmaps which don't even appear on their own map.
No way to know, other than check in passing, who's right as far as I can see.

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
It depends where you are and where you will be travelling.
The maps mentioned above are useful but there is still an element of user input in the process. Some require user input to keep up to date.
Polar may seem expensive while there are still free chargers out there. Not sure how everything will compare when more users add to the competition.
For now check multiple sites before making long journeys if you are relying on Electric. (Not such a problem with the Outlander)

And welcome to the EV world. BEV or PHEV is all good so ignore any comments that you may read on other threads which may sound anti PHEV.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I did note that because we only have a relatively short range with a PHEV that paying above a certain point for charging points would not work out well, unless we turned into every single services on any trip and charged for the next 20 miles, probably less with a car full of kids and luggage.

Re the unreliable maps, is it worth us, as a community, sticking with an open source map and pledging to submit charging point information when we find a new point?

·
The best there is at what I do
10,632 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I did note that because we only have a relatively short range with a PHEV that paying above a certain point for charging points would not work out well, unless we turned into every single services on any trip and charged for the next 20 miles, probably less with a car full of kids and luggage.

Re the unreliable maps, is it worth us, as a community, sticking with an open source map and pledging to submit charging point information when we find a new point?
I always try and update Zap Map as I get a successful or otherwise charge experience, it's easy to do and kills a little time (y)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,264 Posts
I gave up on zapmap after their very public sting on early adopters, dropping the app cost to nothing. Especially bad as they get their map data from NCR and don't even update all that up to date.

I stick with plugshare now.

·
10,632 Posts
I gave up on zapmap after their very public sting on early adopters, dropping the app cost to nothing. Especially bad as they get their map data from NCR and don't even update all that up to date.

I stick with plugshare now.
I use Zap Map because it has some useful route planning features, it's a shame that there isn't a good single app that could be updated to show the last known state of a charger.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,264 Posts
Or down load the national Charge point registry data, it's a spreadsheet and save to your desired format. I converted mine to. Ov2 and uploaded to my rlink.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, I just looked at the registry but already it has a few points missing in my area that appear on other maps. So at first glance I wonder if this is also not fully maintained.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,264 Posts
NCR is updated daily. Reliant on charge point owners though. It even gets updated when posts are down (again reliant on operators).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe we need a mix of this and they crowd sourced data? I still haven't found which map has the right mix and I'd rather not have to go through 2 or 3 apps trying to work out where my charge points are.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I use Zap Map, Open Charge Map and Plug Share to find the charger then go to the providers site for detailed up to date information:

Charging points and electric vehicles UK 2016 - Zap Map
Is anyone else getting problems looking at Zap-Map on a laptop or desktop, or is it that I should really update from Windows XP? When I try the above link using Google Chrome I get:

"This webpage is not available

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

A secure connection cannot be established because this site uses an unsupported protocol or cipher suite. This is likely to be caused when the server needs RC4, which is no longer considered secure."

Can anyone explain?

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Is anyone else getting problems looking at Zap-Map on a laptop or desktop, or is it that I should really update from Windows XP? When I try the above link using Google Chrome I get:

"This webpage is not available

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

A secure connection cannot be established because this site uses an unsupported protocol or cipher suite. This is likely to be caused when the server needs RC4, which is no longer considered secure."

Can anyone explain?
Increasingly websites will not work with old browsers that do not support the more recent versions of encryption for https: sessions. The old encryption is too weak now to be secure so the websites don't want to use it.

Time to upgrade at least the Operating System and therefore browser, however unless you run something like Linux on the same hardware you will find your XP computer lacking in memory and processing power for more modern versions of Windows. So you may be buying a new computer as well. If you have a friendly Linux guru person, they could pop on a copy of something like Bodhi Linux which runs on older machines but is up to date, quick and secure. Saves money and keep old hardware running with secure software.

·
10,632 Posts
You may find that your PC can run Windows 10 but unfortunately Microsoft aren't giving that out as a free upgrade and to go from XP to Windows 10 you have to do a fresh install as there is no upgrade route.

·
otleyshev ( kev)
1,257 Posts
Welcome to our world come on in its like Alice in wonderland everything is a little different but a pleasant change people on the out side are looking and wandering ohh should we can we afort to its scary isn't it not. But enjoy its a brease from hear on ;-)

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you read the comments and checkins on (all three) Zap Map, Plugshare and Open Charge Map, then you can be reasonably confident of a charger's operability.

It is always worth commenting on these apps to advise others of the status of a charge point, particularly quieter posts in rural areas; it only takes a couple of minutes once you're used to doing so and can enable the next person to plan their journey with confidence.

·
10,632 Posts
it only takes a couple of minutes once you're used to doing so and can enable the next person to plan their journey with confidence.
And hopefully they will see the benefit and do the same so the next person after them will benefit. (y)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts