Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Charging my Zoe from my detached garage (from a 3-pin plug)

Tags
garage zoe 50
4K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  scottyf1 
If the garage already has a supply, and running a new one is going to be disruptive, then the first job is to figure out the capacity of that existing supply.

Call a local spark out and get him to check out what is currently feeding the garage, cable size/type, protective devices etc. Or look yourself if your that way inclined. You can always post some images up here etc.

From there, you can figure out what capacity the cable has, and how much current you can draw. I would imagine even the most basic garage supply should be able to handle a 16A charger, and many of the common units can be adjusted down from the normal 32A.

A typical basic garage supply done in 2.5mm SWA for instance can potentially supply in excess of 30A depending on various factors. Likely plenty of scope to install a 20A charger and have some left over for the lights and sockets. Even if they've really skimped and done 1.5mm SWA, its probably still able to carry 20A+

Many of the big chargepoint installers dont seem that flexible or willing to think outside the box. They have a standard blueprint they want to apply to every job.

The installer who came from Octopus did look at our supply in the garage and said the black cable wasn't thick enough to install the charger there (I presume the thickness is a good gauge of the ampage? I have no idea what I'm talking about of course!!! LOL)
I note this. regarding my post above, take a close look at the cable jacket, usually the size is printed on it. See if you can find it. Is there some sort of distribution board in the garage already?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.