Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In October/November I'm planning a trip to Bruges. I plan to use the DFDS Dover - Dunkirk service. Ideally I'd like to charge as near to Dover as possible so I'm boarding the ferry with a near fully charged battery. I can then do the Dunkirk to Bruges (80 miles) in one go (with 30KWh Leaf).
Can anyone offer a suggestion as to where I can charge in Dover? This can either be at a charge point (which network?), or at an EV-friendly hotel/B&B

·
Registered
506 Posts
I went to Belgium today actually, charged at Maidstone on the M20 then Nissan Dunkirk.

Nissan Dunkirk are very nice, let me keep their KiWhi card while they had lunch, 12:00-14:00 everyday in France, but you could get your own in advance.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That part of Kent is a bit of a wasteland when it comes to charging. I often use the Rapid chademo at Sandwich when I'm down there. It's not cheap (c £10 for the Leaf) and for you would be 26 miles round trip from Dover (13 each way) but I find it pretty rapid :). It's on the CYC network. Only other option really is as previous poster mentioned Maidstone Ecotricity or Nissan dealer.

·
Read Only
66 Posts
There is a CYC charge point in Hythe - Military Rd car park (22kw). This is not far from Jct 11A M20. Still 13 miles from there to Dover.
When will they install a charger at the 11A Services? It would be really handy for m/way and ordinary users as its an 'off M/way services'. Especially as Kent is, as has been said, a bit of a wasteland. I really only use my EV for local driving. I think you are very brave attempting trips like this!
If you can afford the tunnel I believe there are CYC chargepoints there, so it may be worth paying the higher fare for a quicker trip. Cheriton is also 10 miles nearer than Dover.
Good luck!

·
Registered
591 Posts
What I always use when I go to Dover is the Vicarage Lane car park in Ashford. There is a Wetherspoons pub around the corner, so you can get some breakfast / lunch there whilst it is charging up. It's only a 7kw charger though, so probably best to charge to 85% at the Ecotricity in Maidstone and then head there to take it to 100% (it's about 15 miles from Maidstone and 20 miles from Dover). You don't even need to have the CYC card to use this one - you can just install the app on your phone and use it for free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts