Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until recently Jersey boasted two (2) public charging points. The good news is that, as of April 2019, this 45 square mile Channel Island now has a total of thirteen (13) fast-charging spaces across six sites. These are operated through a partnership with Charge-Your-Car who apparently have 2,200 chargers in the UK. (Jersey is neither in the UK nor the EC, but we are British).

Statistics say that there are now 450+ electric / hybrid vehicles on Jersey's roads. We have around 120,000 vehicles registered on the Island, (yes, you read it right: more than one car per head of population). But it's a start. Jersey imports electricity via an undersea cable link to France, just 15 miles away.

As a newbie, I'm interested to learn about Orkney's approach.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
There are some great videos on the fully charged youtube channel about this. Fantastic detail.

Reactions: Viridis

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Viridis Orkney's renewable energy is fascinating both from a technology and social point of view. Guardian article gives a glimpse. Neil Oliver reckons stone circle technology was exported by Orcadians to Southern Britain aka Stonehenge. So we are seeing the same now with world 1st smart grid.

How Orkney leads the way for sustainable energy
Hi freddym. Ah, your replies always either help or make me laugh - often both! Will read Guardian article over mug of coffee in a mo. Also, my iOn has had a full Spa week since I bought her (oh dear, I'll be giving the car a name next!). She's now had a proper service; including 12v battery, gear oil etc. She's had 4 new tyres; 2 were ok, 2 weren't and the ones the tyre people had in stock had different tread, so had to get a full set. Finally, she had her paintwork restored to combat the bits of UV fade plus acquired dings and scrapes. I feel I've got a new EV for a third of the price. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are some great videos on the fully charged youtube channel about this. Fantastic detail.
Fully Charged: only discovered Kryten's - er Robert Llewellyn's - channel 3 weeks ago, about the same time I found SpeakEV. It's brill isn't it. Fully Charged delivers excellent content without the hype. Thanks for directing me to Orkney episodes, which I didn't know about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts