Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im thinking of taking a road trip across Europe, involving France, Switzerland, Italy (Covid 19 permitting), Spain, Austria and Germany.

Does anyone have experience of travelling across Europe like this and what charging networks would I need to join to make life as straightforward as possible?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yes, I've done it a couple of times. From 1.8K miles round trips to Poland to 3K miles Euro-trip.
1. IONITY: always reliable, the fastest way to charge. Especially in Germany, Austria, Belgium, Netherlands which I tried. You need two things for that: IONITY app or Newmotion (shell recharge) RFID card. Get both!
2. Newmotion card - this lets you use a vast network of chargers in most of Europe. You may also get Plugsurfing (almost identical coverage as newmotion).
3. Some supermarkets may also be a good alternative if you want to buy some food while charging. Kaufland is quite good (Germany); Lidl is also good but can be busy / abused so i wouldn't really plan for that unless it is in location where you are going to stop / stay anyway.
4. And lastly: Plugshare app. Let you find all other chargers outside Newmotion network (destination chargers, free chargers, etc).

Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
121 Posts
Willl the Shell RFID work in place of New Motion as that’s the card we use in the UK? I ‘think’ they are the same.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Willl the Shell RFID work in place of New Motion as that’s the card we use in the UK? I ‘think’ they are the same.
That's my understanding. New Motion now identify as a "Member of the Shell group" on their home page. The New Motion app was discontinued in favour of the Shell app (same app, rebadged). I think the "New Motion" brand had more exposure in mainland Europe, so they kept that brand there. In the UK the Shell brand is better known.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts