Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tech v2.1
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We get our home energy from a renewable electricity provider but I haven't been able to find any information about the energy mix used to provide power to rapid charger networks. As we got an EV to reduce our climate change impact I would like to think we could access renewable energy when we're going longer distances. Does anyone know where to find this information?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,665 Posts
We get our home energy from a renewable electricity provider but I haven't been able to find any information about the energy mix used to provide power to rapid charger networks. As we got an EV to reduce our climate change impact I would like to think we could access renewable energy when we're going longer distances. Does anyone know where to find this information?

Thanks.
Ecotricity Electric Highway chargers are all powered by solar and wind energy (or at least offset to the grid)
The only other two networks off the top of my head that I can think of who actively advertise the fact that their chargers are powered by renewable sources are Electric Blue, and ESB.

I'm sure that many more are too, just very few seem to make it clear to their customers that this is the case. It may be a case of searching them one by one, or maybe even having to contact them and ask if they don't say anywhere on their website/social media pages.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,156 Posts
I believe that networks signed up to Octopus' "Electric Juice" card are all buying their power from Octopus, which is also 100% renewable.
  • Osprey
  • Alfa Power
  • Franklin LiFe
  • Char.gy
  • Plug-n-Go
  • Hubsta

·
Registered
312 Posts

Thanks.
Pretty such Polar/BP Pulse/whatever name they are this week also buy all their electricity as 100% green based on their commitments when I signed up . I know I wouldn't charge at them if that wasn't case.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Pretty such Polar/BP Pulse/whatever name they are this week also buy all their electricity as 100% green based on their commitments when I signed up . I know I wouldn't charge at them if that wasn't case.
I know some of their slower ones in Bedford are labelled up as being supplied 100% renewable by OVO. Not sure if this is just a local thing though.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,665 Posts
BP Chargemaster's Pulse/Polar network is powered by OVO Energy since late 2017 according to their website. But this doesn't seem to be the case with the other networks that BP Chargemaster are responsible for, for example CYC And Chargeplace Scotland. I Can't find any reference to this on their websites.

I know some of their slower ones in Bedford are labelled up as being supplied 100% renewable by OVO. Not sure if this is just a local thing though.
Yeah their website says that is still the case. But I have never seen such a sticker or sign on any of the chargers up here in the north to say that.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tech v2.1
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ecotricity Electric Highway chargers are all powered by solar and wind energy (or at least offset to the grid)
The only other two networks off the top of my head that I can think of who actively advertise the fact that their chargers are powered by renewable sources are Electric Blue, and ESB.

I'm sure that many more are too, just very few seem to make it clear to their customers that this is the case. It may be a case of searching them one by one, or maybe even having to contact them and ask if they don't say anywhere on their website/social media pages.
Thanks. It seems strange they don't see it as a marketing opportunity.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I used a new motion point yesterday and it advertised my carbon savings on the app. This isn’t quite the same, but I think providers are wary of being perceived as greenwashing and so even though Shell do use carbon credits (Shell Go) they still want to be credible in future without damaging their current petrol sales

·
Registered
312 Posts
TBF I feel a lot better about charging on BP stuff than Shell. Something to do with the massive investments BP making themselves in both Solar and Wind (if you havn't seen the press, 25GW by 2030 apparently, 50GW by 2050), to me Shell feels worse. (** even Greenpeace are reasonably positive now )

Personally I have made sure my Pension doesn't touch Shell (and I avoid their chargers), but BP, I'm less concerned about. They still are dirty oil yes, but at least they making positive moves towards a Wind powered future. (though the Hydrogen as noted is bad, but we will also need Hydrogen fuel cells in future for transport I suspect ).

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tech v2.1
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have consulted someone who understands more about this field and it seems that REGOs (renewable energy certificates) are the problem as they can be purchased cheaply by providers and provide green cover for them, but with the increased levels of renewable energy currently they don't provide much incentive to create more. So, mostly, we're just getting whatever the national mix is. Some providers might have specific renewable supply contracts which would be good but it's hard (impossible) to track these down in a consistent way. There may at some point be government action to increase transparency, if you're feeling lucky. So I suppose that frees us up to use any charger that doesn't offend our sense of brand values (I agree about BP/Shell, for instance). And if Exxon continues to just focus on pumping the smelly stuff we can forget about them.;)

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,566 Posts
Just looked at Instavolt site and....."All of the electricity supplied through our chargers comes from 100% renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind farms. It means you can be sure you’re doing the best you can for the environment when you top up with InstaVolt."

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,156 Posts

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
A lot of them claim 100% renewable, in various wordings, but I suspect there;'s a lot of smoke and mirrors involved. The truth is, if you plug in at 1730 on a cold winter's eve, it will be fossil fuel that's cranked up to meet your demand, surely?

I wonder if all the 'we supply 100% renewable' was added up, how it would compare to the actual renewable generation over a year!

I confess I don't know how renewable obligation certificates work, although I strongly suspect somebody is laughing all the way to the bank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts