Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

What charging networks are people subscribed to? I don't want to pay any monthly fee but want to be covered for longer journeys, is there a "must subscribe" set of charging networks? Is zap pay the new standard or does that not quite cover everything?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Depends very much where you are / where you’re going as some networks have a degree of regional presence.

If you stick to contactless rapid chargers like Instavolt, you can avoid apps altogether, just pay and go.

MSAs have Ecotricity Electric Highway chargers but they haven’t been the best for reliability and you’d be better looking for other solutions if you can.

Shell / BP forecourts are becoming more commonplace as are local type 2 chargers from a range of networks.

Also depends on your car too. Since having the long range of the Niro, my charging away from home has plummeted so not using many of the networks now.

Occasionally PodPoint, Polar or Genie

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll have an e-niro so will benefit from the range, hoping mainly to use destination chargers, but I can foresee having to use chargers on some longer journeys.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm mainly using Pod Point as there's one locally when I need a quick boost and they're 23p per KWh which isn't bad. Lidl's seem to have them quite frequently. You can go and browse the middle of Lidl whilst you charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use PodPoint most often. Second choice is BP Charmaster. If not available than I go for Ecotricity. I also have Alfa Power app and used it couple of times.
As a last resort Instavolt and GeniePoint. I know some say Instavolt is convenient but it is expensive in my views. Geniepoint not convenient at all and most expensive.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Thanks, I'll have an e-niro so will benefit from the range, hoping mainly to use destination chargers, but I can foresee having to use chargers on some longer journeys.
Destination chargers (I usually refer to 2/3/7kw posts in this context) are fine if they are convenient and reliable. In the early days, they usually fell down on one or other or both criteria although they are getting better as time moves on.

Personally, I prefer to find a rapid on route as near to my destination as possible then arrive fully charged for the return trip / next day. Provides much more flexibility around parking etc.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Beware that not all Ecotricity chargers have CCS and not all motorway service areas have a chager at all.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I can charge at home, so that is the vast bulk of my charging. When travelling distances, I tend to go for Ecotricity (because they are at service stations on the motorway) but, by choice, InstaVolt because they are so simple and reliable and don't need membership.

Please, please, please, InstaVolt - find some way of getting on to the motorway service stations. I'd declare my undying love for you and have your babies.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Please, please, please, InstaVolt - find some way of getting on to the motorway service stations. I'd declare my undying love for you and have your babies.
Not quite a MSA, in fact nothing like, but I used Instavolt at Banbury yesterday, 8 chargers only 1/2 a mile form M40. Costa coffee drive-through there, that's all though!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Did they not claim sometime in the past that they had covered all motorway services?
But possibly chargers are not automatically being installed at new services, e.g. none except Tesla at Tebay southbound FarmShop services on the M6 (there are in the Northbound services but it was not obvious that that was the case and that you could get to the northbound services from the southbound side).

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Slightly of subject. Is all newly installed grey InstaVolt chargers 125kW?
The row of 8 in Necton, in Norfolk are. I've used them several times - at 47.5k.

Interestingly, the Leaf 40 has feathered down to half power at 80%.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts