Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I see that German models come with a 3-Phase Option. If you somehow got this retrofitted later, I assume that you would then ben able to utilize the 22kw chargers to their fullest extent - yes ?
Not necessarily - see part of the spec for MY2020 at post #15 in this thread Kia e-Niro '4' Specs confirmed and on Kia UK site. My positives and negatives
This states 11 kW for 3 phase, although comparing the spec estimated times for 7 kW single phase charging and 11 kW (3 phase charging) suggests the 11 kW rate is effectively nearer to 9 kW...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Much of Europe is 3 phase to the house but the current per phase is much smaller then the UK (typical 40A /phase in Germany). This is why you find 3 phase chargers in cars on sale in europe.

In the case of the pug208 and 2008 and its variants the onboard optional multiphase charger is 3 by 3.6kW so the cars draw 11kW max on 11 or 22kW post. You do not get 22kW I'm afraid.

On a single phase post (7.2kW) the cars parallel 2 of the 3 onboard chargers to give a 7.2 kW capability.
Only old Tesla model S and ZOE are I think capable using a 22kW Post fully, the S I think is limited to 17kW. ZOE can pull the full 22kW.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
The Audi E-Tron appears to have an optional 22kW (3 by 7.2kW) 3 phase charger, Normally its 11kW capable.
So you could get one of these to use the 22kW posts.

Its possible the Merc EQC may have a 22kW option as well.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I see that German models come with a 3-Phase Option. If you somehow got this retrofitted later, I assume that you would then ben able to utilize the 22kw chargers to their fullest extent - yes ?
I believe that it's actually a 11kW charger for 3 phase not 22kW.
That seems a pretty common approach.
Struggling to find a definitive source but the closest info I can find is in this thread: Niro EV 22kW Charging

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,867 Posts
The Audi E-Tron appears to have an optional 22kW (3 by 7.2kW) 3 phase charger....
Uncharitably you could say that the E-Tron needs it given its appallingly high energy consumption with reliable reports of under 2 miles/KWh being the norm. The issue then becomes how does the 22kW charger perform on a single 7kW supply as is the norm for home charging in the UK - is the internal charger operating close to its maximum efficiency or far from it? Reports of 11kW models on "granny" chargers indicate that these have efficiencies of converting from the AC consumed to DC in the battery of below 50% in some cases.:rolleyes: Given the slow charge rate and the high consumption home charging may not be practical causing more charging to need to be away from home at potentially higher cost. The main beneficiaries appear to be those with access to 22kW "free" at work.
Having trolled the E-Tron, back to the topic in hand. It might be worth checking whether there is a loss in efficiency when charging at 7kW single phase on a 3 phase equipped car if the former rate is going to be the norm.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
The issue then becomes how does the 22kW charger perform on a single 7kW supply as is the norm for home charging in the UK
As the 22kW charger is actually three 7.2kW chargers the efficiency should be the same just slower...

·
Registered
874 Posts
The e-Niro and Soul were upgraded in 2020 to have a 3-phase charger on the very top model only - at 11kw.

The rest have a 7.2KW.

Given the lack of 3 phase in UK, it's not really an issue - but if you have one of the Soul First Editions after the upgrade (mine is before) E-Niro 4+ (and possibly Kona?) and you plug into a 22kw post you'll get 11kw - which is nice, but not a true "rapid" charge.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts