Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my Nissan Leaf four years ago, I had a 7Kw Pod Point (with tethered lead) installed. This worked fine on timed charging because the Leaf had a built-in charging timer.
I am using a Type One to Type Two converter lead as my wife has a smart ForTwo electric Drive. This arrangement has worked perfectly well for four years.
Now I've changed to a MG ZS EV and this does not have a built-in charging timer. I'm faced with a problem as now both cars (smart For Two Electric Drive and MG ZS EV) both use a type two plug.
I would like to have timed charging on the MG to utilise my Economy 7 tariff.
As I see it, I have four options: -

1) Keep things as they are, forget timed charging on the MG, and continue with the Type One to Type Two converter lead
2) Change the tethered lead on the Pod Point to a Type 2 lead, and forget the timed charging on the MG
3) Try and source an external timer for my existing Pod Point, if such a device exists. I can then either keep the Type One to Type Two converter lead or change the lead to Type 2
4) Bite the bullet and change the Pod Point for a charger with a built-in timer

Does an external timer for such a high current load exist?
Could I get a grant for a new charger and use the existing wiring? The cost, in this instance would be a lot less?
Should I just forget about having a timer, and just get up twice in the middle of the night to turn on/off the charger during cheaper Economy 7 times? (!)
What do members think I should do?

·
Registered
966 Posts
You don't need a very powerful time switch for a podpoint. You just need to interrupt the control lead. with a small relay connected to an Economy 7 timeswitch. This is mine at the bottom of the stairs connected through the wall to the podpoint. Mine has a small refinement which allows the car to know it is connected to the podpoint even when not charging.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
When I had my Nissan Leaf four years ago, I had a 7Kw Pod Point (with tethered lead) installed. This worked fine on timed charging because the Leaf had a built-in charging timer.
I am using a Type One to Type Two converter lead as my wife has a smart ForTwo electric Drive. This arrangement has worked perfectly well for four years.
Now I've changed to a MG ZS EV and this does not have a built-in charging timer. I'm faced with a problem as now both cars (smart For Two Electric Drive and MG ZS EV) both use a type two plug.
I would like to have timed charging on the MG to utilise my Economy 7 tariff.
As I see it, I have four options: -

1) Keep things as they are, forget timed charging on the MG, and continue with the Type One to Type Two converter lead
2) Change the tethered lead on the Pod Point to a Type 2 lead, and forget the timed charging on the MG
3) Try and source an external timer for my existing Pod Point, if such a device exists. I can then either keep the Type One to Type Two converter lead or change the lead to Type 2
4) Bite the bullet and change the Pod Point for a charger with a built-in timer

Does an external timer for such a high current load exist?
Could I get a grant for a new charger and use the existing wiring? The cost, in this instance would be a lot less?
Should I just forget about having a timer, and just get up twice in the middle of the night to turn on/off the charger during cheaper Economy 7 times? (!)
What do members think I should do?
Where to begin?
  1. Converter leads reduce safety, particularly if plugged and unplugged regularly. This is not a sensible long term solution.
  2. A sensible solution to charge the Smart with, and you could get a 2nd grant for a charge point with timing functions. Beware however that the ZS has an issue with some charge points by going to sleep and failing to wake up when switched on.
  3. People on here have arranged timing switches to interrupt the CP line which is at 12v. This is not supported so only do this if you know what you are doing.
  4. Why pay to lose one that works? Go for option 2 instead.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
You don't need a very powerful time switch for a podpoint. You just need to interrupt the control lead. with a small relay connected to an Economy 7 timeswitch. This is mine at the bottom of the stairs connected through the wall to the podpoint. Mine has a small refinement which allows the car to know it is connected to the podpoint even when not charging. View attachment 130387
An excellent solution. Have you tried an MG on it to know if this avoids their tendancy to sleep?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Another solution is to buy an Ohme cable. This has its own controls and works with the ZS EV and could be used if you changed the tethered cable charger for one with a type 2 socket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts