Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. First post here. Please forgive a newbie question! First EV.

I'm looking at these Zoes:

100KW i R135 50KWh Rapid Charge Auto Iconic, and
100KW i R135 50KWh Rapid Charge Auto GT Line

Am I right in thinking that they can charge at 7-22kW AC via Type 2, and 50 kW DC via any CCS.

References to Zoe's not being compatible with the Instavolt network don't apply to this model with Rapid Charge?

I also see references to 43kW charging. Where does that come into it? Or is it from a previous model.

Trying to work out if this would be a practical car do take trips from Newcastle to the Lake District (200-270 mile round trip depending on exact destination) without undue hanging around. I'm not likely to find destination charging where I go (cheap campsites and parking in laybys for the day). Having looked at Zap Map, there appears to be just enough rapid charging (a 45 min boost in Booths in Keswick), a couple of Ecotricity on the M6 home.

I think in the Summer I could get away with little or no charging. In the winter, or when going a bit deeper into the Lakes, I would need at least one.

According to EV Database, it suggests a real world range of 165 miles in winter. Rapid charging to 80% (132 miles) - is that comfortable for a 100 mile journey?

I think I'm eventually holding out for a Kona or e-Niro, where the longer range and 80kW charging will make it a lot easier, but I might be an old man before they become available. I want to get the EV ball rolling.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
All ze50s will have type 2 AC as std able to charge at up to 22kW, if you take the CCS option too you will get DC charging up to 50kW.
The 43kW you mention are the current Rapid charge Zoe's

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Correct. The new Zoe has CCS DC charging up to 50kW, and keeps the upto 22kW AC charging.

The 43kW was the fast AC charger on the previous 'Q' model.

I wouldn't bank on it getting 200+ miles on long motor journeys. Particularly in the colder months. Based on some preliminary videos, the 50kW CCS means it would take around an hour to get from 10-80%. That means you will probably likely need a charge midway, and then probably another charge to give you enough to get anywhere once you arrive, as you likely be on low charge again.

Difficult to say with any certainty though, as there aren't many around yet!

Edit: Oh sorry just seen it was a 200mile round trip! Yea it will be fine with 100miles. Just need a way to charge it nearby to give you charge to use it once you arrive

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies so far. Glad to see it has 22kW and 50kW options.

Oh sorry just seen it was a 200mile round trip! Yea it will be fine with 100miles. Just need a way to charge it nearby to give you charge to use it once you arrive
I was hoping to do the whole 200 mile trip with little or no charging - at least in summer. There's unlikely to be any destination charging where I'm going. There's fast chargers in Keswick and Ambleside that could probably fit into my usual routine half of the time, but I'd rather not have to plan on it for every single trip.

Do people commonly stop at a fast charger just for 10 or 15 minutes if that's all that's necessary to get home?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Do people commonly stop at a fast charger just for 10 or 15 minutes if that's all that's necessary to get home?
Yeah, its called a splash and dash (y)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Correct. The new Zoe has CCS DC charging up to 50kW, and keeps the upto 22kW AC charging.

The 43kW was the fast AC charger on the previous 'Q' model.

I wouldn't bank on it getting 200+ miles on long motor journeys. Particularly in the colder months. Based on some preliminary videos, the 50kW CCS means it would take around an hour to get from 10-80%. That means you will probably likely need a charge midway, and then probably another charge to give you enough to get anywhere once you arrive, as you likely be on low charge again.

Difficult to say with any certainty though, as there aren't many around yet!

Edit: Oh sorry just seen it was a 200mile round trip! Yea it will be fine with 100miles. Just need a way to charge it nearby to give you charge to use it once you arrive
i have found those rapid charge times, stated on website , based on worse case senario. after driving 30 miles, battery should be warmed up, i rapid charged a nissan leaf in 25 mins from 19% to 90%

·
Zoe Devotee
8,576 Posts
i have found those rapid charge times, stated on website , based on worse case senario. after driving 30 miles, battery should be warmed up, i rapid charged a nissan leaf in 25 mins from 19% to 90%
I think unfortunately because of the battery density and that its only forced air cooled the times will be pretty accurate, maybe a bit faster than real world if you check out TeslaBjorns videos. He's tested Zoe in warm conditions and cold and it didn't charge at 50kW at any time. Low 40's, 44? to be expected.

·
Registered
49 Posts
similar to the leaf. low to mid 40s. no aircooling though, we shall see indeed. i find when i drive home , 70miles, and plug in straight away to the 22kw charger , my Ze 40 is full after an hour or so.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
At this time of year in the Uk driving at around 65-70 mph for over 50 miles got my zoe temperature up to 24c
going slower than 60 mph for the same distance the battey hardly gets warm enough for a really fast charge on my Q90.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ze50 on CCS will peak at 45kW regardless of the battery temperature or outside temperature; the battery management system functions differently than in other EVs (lower peak charge rate, but consistent).

In a different thread, someone recommended A Better Routeplanner but I have not tried it myself; the website has a lot of variables you can account for in your route planning.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,576 Posts
Really? even at 3 deg it will charge at 45kW?
I wouldn't imagine the ZE50 is all that different to earlier models. If the Zoe has a cold pack it doesn't charge that quick. But....... it doesn't take much to get some heat into the pack. 10+ miles driving hard/breaking hard soon warms up pack. Once its into double figures you get rapid charging speeds, well over 30kW anyway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
At this time of year in the Uk driving at around 65-70 mph for over 50 miles got my zoe temperature up to 24c
going slower than 60 mph for the same distance the battey hardly gets warm enough for a really fast charge on my Q90.
Sorry to show my ignorance but does a Zoe battery have to warmed up to take a 50KW charge, (I have one ordered with a rapid charger) My closest 50KW charger is about 2miles away so no chance to warm the battery up from home!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
At the ecotricity charger on the M42 yesterday it was 5degC and my quick charge Z.E.40 only took 16kwh in 40mins.

that took me from 30miles to 100miles range (76%)

I’m only getting 110 miles around town at the moment on a full charge but that’s with heating and heated seats and stop start.

After the 180 mile round trip to brum and back yesterday it’s now showing closer to 150 miles range

I think going forward, EVs need rapid charge capability and universal charging standards across the industry rather than bigger batteries

JJ

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
450 Posts
The ZE50 hasn't been out in real use for the charging characteristics to be fully known.
This assumes the ZE50 is like the ZE40 + a bit more.
Don't go above 60mph, which should be no problem as that is the speed limit on most of the roads.
There's enough chargers to be able to pick the right place to stop.
The right time to stop is when the battery is low, but not that low that you can't get to the next one, when the battery is warm, and where there are good facilities, (Rheged is best, but only daytime !)
This assumes you'll have a home charger so leave with 100% and warm battery (finish charging just before you leave) and can get home with 1% if need be.
Wind strength and direction and standing water will reduce range so you need a decent buffer, but you will get to know what is possible. This journey will be OK for a ZE50.
You'll love electric, it's simply better than ICE.

·
Registered
277 Posts
all the principles that affect range on the combustion car affect the ev too. acceleration, high speeds, etc.
There's no factors that only affect one or the other. if you're going up a mountain on a combustion car, you also consume double the petrol compared to going downhill

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Sorry to show my ignorance but does a Zoe battery have to warmed up to take a 50KW charge, (I have one ordered with a rapid charger) My closest 50KW charger is about 2miles away so no chance to warm the battery up from home!
Can you not charge at home ?
In the UK the zoe comes with a Free Home Charger that you can arange to have fitted by BP Chargemaster a few weeks before delivery.

I find It's always best to fully charge if you can at home and use the rapid on route in winter

I know in my Q90 ZE 40 if i drove it say 2 miles to a Rapid Charger in winter the battery would still be cold and would not any faster than my home charger which is 7 kw
( I know because sometimes the EH moto service's near me is sometimes on Free Vend ) but in the sumer the charge rate would be a lot higher.

I Don't know if New ZE 50 with CCS will charge much faster when cold but it might as my Zoe has AC Rapid and the new one DC rapid

I paid extra for the AC Quick Charger on my Zoe and would pay extra again for the CCS on the new Zoe too.
So for me you made the right choice and with a bigger range you will love it ?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts