Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Only Q-motor Zoes can draw 43kW. R-motor ones can only draw 22kW, even from a 43kW post.

Still being fairly ignorant of the terminology used on this site, I assume a "Q- Motor" has the rapid charger?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Only Q-motor Zoes can draw 43kW. R-motor ones can only draw 22kW, even from a 43kW post.

Still being fairly ignorant of the terminology used on this site, I assume a "Q- Motor" has the rapid charger?
Correct. The Q Zoes have a motor made (I think) by Bosch. The R Zoes have motors made in-house by Renault.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,565 Posts
Correct. The Q Zoes have a motor made (I think) by Bosch. The R Zoes have motors made in-house by Renault.
43kW Q motor was made by Continental and licenced to Renault. Renault made their own "superior" motor the R that has more range (but not really) and 22kW charging.

·
Registered
38 Posts
43kW Q motor was made by Continental and licenced to Renault. Renault made their own "superior" motor the R that has more range (but not really) and 22kW charging.
So the 52 KW motor in the GT-Line is a Q motor not manufactured by Renault? All very confusing!

·
Registered
181 Posts
The new Zoe has an onboard charger that can accept a charge up to 22kw (it is the chameleon charger found in earlier Zoes) but of course for most home charging (in the UK at least) you will only be able to charge at 7kw. Still being able to charge at 22kw AC, where available, is better than most EVs out there

·
Zoe Devotee
8,565 Posts
So the 52 KW motor in the GT-Line is a Q motor not manufactured by Renault? All very confusing!

As was said the 52 is 52kWh which is the battery size.

The Q motor is no longer used on the Zoe, now its only the 22kW charging R motor. The CCS side of rapid charging is unrelated to the motor.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,223 Posts
Sorry I mean in the context of this thread

when people are referring to 22kw chargers, are they actually 44kw ones only delivering 22kw?

JJ
Q90 will charge up to 43kW AC on a tethered rapid post.
R90 will charge up to 22kW AC on a tethered rapid post limited by the onboard charger.
R110 as above.
R135 as above and if equipped with CCS up to 50kW DC but average 44kW in reality.
All will charge at 22kW AC on an untethered 22kW fast post using the supplied 3 phase cable.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Q90 will charge up to 43kW AC on a tethered rapid post.
R90 will charge up to 22kW AC on a tethered rapid post limited by the onboard charger.
R110 as above.
R135 as above and if equipped with CCS up to 50kW DC but average 44kW in reality.
All will charge at 22kW AC on an untethered 22kW fast post using the supplied 3 phase cable.
Yeah understand that - but in the posts I’ve quoted below where people are talking about 22kw ac rapid chargers and Tesla chargers, are they meaning they are only delivering 22kw or that the Zoe can only draw 22kw?

I though ac was only 43kW but I only use 1 type of charger away from home and that’s Ecotricity ac rapid on the electric highway

JJ

So, err.... would it have charged faster on 22kW AC? I thought that was a 'solid' rate, so to speak, which will run to 100%?
I'm not so certain. My old Zoe was definitely not taking 22kW at 0C outside with a cold battery; The pattern I noticed with the old one was at 0C outside it was taking in 16-18kW, at -10C it was taking 12-14kW (for a week or two in the year, sheer pain). As Sandy mentioned in a previous post, the new Zoe is probably the same on AC as the previous generation.
Yes. Like most EV's, the Zoe uses Type 2 for AC charging at anything up to 22kW. As @cDy says, look for one with the white signage. However, I think the Tesla destination chargers will either be 7kW or 11kW, which will just mean you need to use one for a little longer.
Fortunately I am retired so I don't have a regular commute. We have 4 x 7KW chargers at our local Tesco, 4 x 22KW Tesla chargers all very close.
Thank you for your reply & advice.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,223 Posts
Yeah understand that - but in the posts I’ve quoted below where people are talking about 22kw ac rapid chargers and Tesla chargers, are they meaning they are only delivering 22kw or that the Zoe can only draw 22kw?

I though ac was only 43kW but I only use 1 type of charger away from home and that’s Ecotricity ac rapid on the electric highway

JJ
60274F76-7E34-464A-86E3-9A706B28AAA5.png

22kW Chargers are designated Fast by Zap-Map. They are mainly untethered and so require a 3 phase type 2 cable to get the full 22kW. There are quite a few on the Polar Plus network. Tesla often provide them as destination chargers. If there are two or less, they only work with Teslas. When there are three, the third can often be used by any EV.

Some rapid chargers provide DC at 50kW via Chademo and CCS, but AC at only 22kW via a socket on the side. So a Type 2 Cable would be needed.

6406F41A-1D37-4290-B19A-507E56C3EACD.jpeg

41 - 57 of 57 Posts