Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told my car is arriving in two weeks. Excellent. However I've booked a holiday cottage without a built in charger because I really wasn't expecting to get it for another month. How safe is it to dangle an extension lead out the window of the cottage and plug in the standard mains charger to charge? Is it waterproof?

Thanks

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've been told my car is arriving in two weeks. Excellent. However I've booked a holiday cottage without a built in charger because I really wasn't expecting to get it for another month. How safe is it to dangle an extension lead out the window of the cottage and plug in the standard mains charger to charge? Is it waterproof?

Thanks
Yes - it is waterproof, but its plug and your extension lead probably is not. In addition the extension lead is unlikely to contain anything to monitor the temperature of the socket you plug it into in the cottage. If the cottage socket is dodgy drawing 10 amps over a long period could overheat it and even cause a fire. Try to use the extension lead when it is dry and when you can keep an eye on the socket to make sure it is not overheating (so not overnight). You will also need to make sure that there is no other heavy current draw on the rest of the circuit in the cottage. It would be better to find a rapid charger if there is a convenient one nearby.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
You’d need a pretty robust extension lead too and fully extended, not wound up (y)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks, I will buy a waterproof extension lead and ensure it is fully extended. And also charge it when we're not asleep so I can keep an eye on the socket the first time.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Please be aware the 13A plug on the E-Niro granny lead is bigger than normal and might stop the extension’s waterproof socket to close. Try before buying. Also have a look at:-

Outdoor Exrension

·
Registered
4 Posts
I made a 10m extension lead from a heavy duty 13a plug, 10m of 3x2.5mm h07 trs rubber cable and a heavy duty hard wearing single trailing socket, as I found all extension leads cables were too thin to handle constant current for long periods, as the plugs would get warm and the cable too.Making my own lead the plug never got warm/hot at all I charged my phev this for months until I got my home charger installed. if you can get the eniro close enough to the window to keep the plug inside of the charging cable, but still keep an eye on it, that its not getting too warm/hot as you do not know the state of the cottages wiring.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I made a 10m extension lead from a heavy duty 13a plug, 10m of 3x2.5mm h07 trs rubber cable and a heavy duty hard wearing single trailing socket, as I found all extension leads cables were too thin to handle constant current for long periods, as the plugs would get warm and the cable too.Making my own lead the plug never got warm/hot at all I charged my phev this for months until I got my home charger installed. if you can get the eniro close enough to the window to keep the plug inside of the charging cable, but still keep an eye on it, that its not getting too warm/hot as you do not know the state of the cottages wiring.
This is way I would go.
Buy a single IP65 water proof outside box and a gland kit etc.
A quality 13Amp three pin plug and a length of 2.5 three core cable.
If exposing the “Granny” unit to the rain is a concern, buy one of them large plastic storage boxes from the supermarket.
Like the ones you can keep a large sliced loaf in.
Remove the clip on lid and notch out the ends slightly at both ends to accept the cables.
Refit the clip on lid - sorted !.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Thanks
Been there and done that. The control box is near the 3-pin plug end. If using an extension lead I put the reel (cable unwound) + plug + control box in a bin bag. Works fine. I also use a plug-through power meter so I can offer fair payment. Be aware that the charging loss is typically 25% on the granny lead.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is way I would go.
Buy a single IP65 water proof outside box and a gland kit etc.
A quality 13Amp three pin plug and a length of 2.5 three core cable.
If exposing the “Granny” unit to the rain is a concern, buy one of them large plastic storage boxes from the supermarket.
Like the ones you can keep a large sliced loaf in.
Remove the clip on lid and notch out the ends slightly at both ends to accept the cables.
Refit the clip on lid - sorted !.
There's technical. A bin liner works fine.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Is it waterproof?
It will be splash proof, but not capable of being immersed. So if you do use it keep it off the ground to avoid puddles and if in a box make sure that it is waterproof and not just going to collect water.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
As above. Key is to use a quality extension lead that is rated to carry the load for many hours. I then used a plastic 35-litre tote box and three house bricks. Two bricks on the floor to support the extension socket and the granny unit and keep them off the ground. Tote box upside down over them and the third brick on top to keep it from blowing over. I used that set-up at home in all weathers for some months before fitting the dedicated charger.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
We will be paying a visit to a family member, who will be staying in caravan in Harlech next Thursday.
Total round trip will be stretching the legs of the battery.
The charging infrastructure is pretty poor on route, so I would like to take the "Granny" just to grab a quick top up while we are visiting.
Have I started making an extension lead to take with us, just in case the "Granny" cable will not reach inside the caravan.
I already have the 2.5mm cable and a single IP65 rated out door socket.
Also, I have purchased "Dura Plug" ( MK ) heavy duty 13 Amp three pin plug from screwfix.
I am bit concerned it is not "Heavy Duty" enough ?.
Here is the link.
Can anybody recommend a better quality plug please ?.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought a 10m extension lead from tough leads. Comes with a waterproof socket protector and looks more than sturdy enough for the job. Seen a few other comments on here people have done the same With no issues. Also be aware of over-engineered cables using 2.5mm cable as it can cause issues with voltage drop. a 1.5mm cable should be ample over 10m or so and well within wiring regs.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Lol, why would an extension cord with larger conductors cause more of a problem with voltage drop than one with smaller conductors?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lol, why would an extension cord with larger conductors cause more of a problem with voltage drop than one with smaller conductors?
KiwiME, you’re right. Re-reading that after a coffee, not sure why I put that, completely counter intuitive :oops:. But that said, 1.5mm is more than enough for the purpose Of a continuous 10A draw. More likely for the house cabling showing its gremlins than the cable. Ultimately do what your comfortable with.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We will be paying a visit to a family member, who will be staying in caravan in Harlech next Thursday.
Total round trip will be stretching the legs of the battery.
The charging infrastructure is pretty poor on route, so I would like to take the "Granny" just to grab a quick top up while we are visiting.
Have I started making an extension lead to take with us, just in case the "Granny" cable will not reach inside the caravan.
I already have the 2.5mm cable and a single IP65 rated out door socket.
Also, I have purchased "Dura Plug" ( MK ) heavy duty 13 Amp three pin plug from screwfix.
I am bit concerned it is not "Heavy Duty" enough ?.
Here is the link.
Can anybody recommend a better quality plug please ?.

The thing only draws 10A in the UK. What 13A plug can't handle that?

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
The thing only draws 10A in the UK. What 13A plug can't handle that?
You are correct in that all three pin plugs are designed to carry 13Amp for use in the UK.
But like in a lot of cases, the quality of some of these items produced can vary a great deal.
If I was wanting to run a low load on a table lamp, protected by a 3 Amp fuse for 8 hours, then I would not be overly concerned about the quality of the three pin plug used to provide the load.
Running a “Granny” cable on a EV for the same given time however, does make me question the quality of the supply plug.
I want to use good quality cable that is correctly rated for both the load and distance covered also I am using the correct IP rated and load carrying outside outlet.
I don’t want the lead safety to be compromised by a “Cheapo”so called 13 Amp rated three pin plug on the supply side of the extension.
This is what is likely to get hot when charging over a long period of time.
To try and mitigate this, I am asking for help in trying to find a “Better” quality plug for my extension.
It may have 13Amp printed on every three pin plug that you purchase, but that really does not indicate the standard of its quality.
It says “Typhoo” on side of buses, but they don’t sell tea !.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You are correct in that all three pin plugs are designed to carry 13Amp for use in the UK.
But like in a lot of cases, the quality of some of these items produced can vary a great deal.
If I was wanting to run a low load on a table lamp, protected by a 3 Amp fuse for 8 hours, then I would not be overly concerned about the quality of the three pin plug used to provide the load.
Running a “Granny” cable on a EV for the same given time however, does make me question the quality of the supply plug.
I want to use good quality cable that is correctly rated for both the load and distance covered also I am using the correct IP rated and load carrying outside outlet.
I don’t want the lead safety to be compromised by a “Cheapo”so called 13 Amp rated three pin plug on the supply side of the extension.
This is what is likely to get hot when charging over a long period of time.
To try and mitigate this, I am asking for help in trying to find a “Better” quality plug for my extension.
It may have 13Amp printed on every three pin plug that you purchase, but that really does not indicate the standard of its quality.
It says “Typhoo” on side of buses, but they don’t sell tea !.
Cheap knock off plugs are a real menace - if you've ever seen one fail you'll always want to check that what you are buying is genuine. Here is some very helpfull advise from BSI:-

John.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Cheap knock off plugs are a real menace - if you've ever seen one fail you'll always want to check that what you are buying is genuine. Here is some very helpfull advise from BSI:-

John.
Thank you John.
After reading this article, I don’t think I need to say anymore on why I wish to install a quality plug on my extension lead !.
This piece speaks volumes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts