Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Yes... that is the normal way of charging... plug in at night and wake up to a fully charged car.

You can plug in whenever you want. There is no special requirements. It can be left plugged in all the time if you wish. There is no need to worry yourself about when to charge. I try to keep mine as fully charged as possible... you never know when you might need it.

Just charge and enjoy! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes... that is the normal way of charging... plug in at night and wake up to a fully charged car.

You can plug in whenever you want. There is no special requirements. It can be left plugged in all the time if you wish. There is no need to worry yourself about when to charge. I try to keep mine as fully charged as possible... you never know when you might need it.

Thanks for that, was concerned that it may overheat.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Yes... be careful of the cables but you shouldn't be trailing cables across areas with public walkway access anyway tbh. Even charging on public posts should mean the cable is not a trip hazard... if it is then I wouldn't charge there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes... be careful of the cables but you shouldn't be trailing cables across areas with public walkway access anyway tbh. Even charging on public posts should mean the cable is not a trip hazard... if it is then I wouldn't charge there.
No Probs with that, I have the car parked on the drive and charge with British Gas connection.

·
Super Moderator
7,460 Posts
Different cars are different, so this applies to a Leaf but not a Tesla....

Leaving the car plugged in overnight is absolutely fine. The car will charge to its 80% or 100% limit (if the 80% limit has been set) and then stop, it won't continue to charge beyond that.

However, if you are leaving the car for a few days, you should unplug it. There's 2 reasons for this, 1 is to make sure the car tops up it's 12v battery as needed which it appears not to do while plugged in, but also because if you use a charging timer the car -will- wake back up to charge again, so if you have it set to 100% it will wake every day and push the battery back up to maximum charge, which is bad for the battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Different cars are different, so this applies to a Leaf but not a Tesla....

Leaving the car plugged in overnight is absolutely fine. The car will charge to its 80% or 100% limit (if the 80% limit has been set) and then stop, it won't continue to charge beyond that.

However, if you are leaving the car for a few days, you should unplug it. There's 2 reasons for this, 1 is to make sure the car tops up it's 12v battery as needed which it appears not to do while plugged in, but also because if you use a charging timer the car -will- wake back up to charge again, so if you have it set to 100% it will wake every day and push the battery back up to maximum charge, which is bad for the battery.
Thanks for that, very informative.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anothher question (you can tell I am new at this) If i set the end timer only, will the charge begin automatically when the car decides how long is required in order to reach the full charge by the end time. (Does that make sense ??)

·
Super Moderator
11,700 Posts
Yes. That is how I charge our car in winter. I've noticed it sometimes starts a little too early.

If you do use the timer, be sure you don't plug in a car that is at or above 98%. Damage to the battery from charging when the battery is at or above 98% is not covered by the warranty!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Anothher question (you can tell I am new at this) If i set the end timer only, will the charge begin automatically when the car decides how long is required in order to reach the full charge by the end time. (Does that make sense ??)
With a LEAF yes.

PS You can add your EV make to your profile then we can respond accordingly.

·
Super Moderator
7,460 Posts
It does make sense, and yes it does :)

It will estimate the time needed based on how much power it was able to last charge at, so if you charged with the wall unit and then connect with the brick it might get the timing wrong, but if you always use the wall unit it's very good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes. That is how I charge our car in winter. I've noticed it sometimes starts a little too early.

If you do use the timer, be sure you don't plug in a car that is at or above 98%. Damage to the battery from charging when the battery is at or above 98% is not covered by the warranty!
Thanks for that, I think i will try that tonight.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts

I am not disputing that at all but I haven't seen it anywhere... where is that restriction?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,460 Posts
Halfway down the right column in the warranty book, section 4.10

image.jpg

Reactions: Colin

·
Super Moderator
7,460 Posts

I'd also point out in the Leaf manual you are told not to charge until the battery is below 80%, so keeping it as charged as possible at all times may be more convenient, but is not necessarily the best for battery health.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I agree... it isn't good for battery health but from what I understand it isn't particularly bad either if it only done occasionally. I accept that it may reduce battery life a bit but the inconvenience of not having a charged battery when you need it is worth it IMO. There is nothing more frustrating than needing to go somewhere in range of the car but it isn't charged enough.

To be honest, I say I keep it as full as possible all the time but I generally don't plug in during the day if I am over 80% nor do I plug in absolutely every night... if it is near full and I have no plans for tomorrow I often don't plug in at all. So on reflection, I probably don't charge very often when it is under 80% but I will certainly plug in if I know I will need 100% next day regardless of state of charge.

So, the warranty says "on a daily basis" and I certainly don't do that... I use it every day so it rarely gets plugged in when over 80% :)

Phew! You had me worried for a while ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
There seems to be much more of this sort of information on caring for batteries for the LEAF than the ZOE. Is this because the batteries are different, or because it's of greater interest and importance when you own the batteries?
What advice do other manufacturers offer?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts