Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I work in a company trying to map existing customer pains with charging so that solutions can be made to solve these pains. What are things that annoy you before, during, or after charging your EV? It could be undesired costs and situations, risks, missing features, or big issues regarding charging. If you could take a minute to answer it would be really helpful, thanks!

Best regards
Daniel Johansen

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Apps, not wanted at all. Solutions pointed out many times is multiple chargers so some are working and contactless card payment.
Myself I'd like to see the implimention of ccs2 done properly so the car communicates with the charger and the billing is done to the user. CCS supports this in theory. Not seen any sign of the charger manufacturers or the ev makers sorting this out.
Tesla implemented this on their superchargers from the start.

·
Registered
16,760 Posts
It shouldn't be too hard:
  1. Make sure you install the chargers in easy to get to locations just off the main highway
  2. Make sure they have close to 100% availability and reliability. (Even 98% is too low)
  3. Don't just install one or two on a site. Make sure there are 4-6 stalls at least/
  4. Don't insist on the customer registering or a subscription model. Life is too short. Let people pay with contactless debit or credit card. Make it frictionless.
  5. If you want people to sign up to an app or service, offer a decent incentive such as a discount on charging.
  6. Install high power chargers >150 kW to future proof it.
If you don't understand any of this, just borrow a Tesla and try the Supercharger network for a week. Then go copy that.

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
981 Posts
Cah197 has done a good job at listing thoughts similar to my own already, but I'm just going to post here myself to emphasise how much I'm against any network that has an app-only or subscription-only model.

Until we see all chargers being as easy to use as a self serve fuel pump where you can just pay with your credit card everywhere, charging networks will get hate, and will add an extra barrier to deter the average person from wanting to switch to electric. Take a look on these forums at the general thoughts people share about Ecotricity for example. That basically sums up everything you shouldn't do with a charging network.

Apps, not wanted at all. Solutions pointed out many times is multiple chargers so some are working and contactless card payment.
Myself I'd like to see the implimention of ccs2 done properly so the car communicates with the charger and the billing is done to the user. CCS supports this in theory. Not seen any sign of the charger manufacturers or the ev makers sorting this out.
Tesla implemented this on their superchargers from the start.
Take a look at Fastned Autocharge. Some companies are already implementing it. While I'm personally not a fan of Fastned it's good to see they're leading the way with some technology like this.

·
Registered
109 Posts
As a new user to EVs, I absolutely agree that app/subscription models are horrible.

all I want to be able to do is turn up, plug in, and pay with my debit card.

We may have gone over the top but to ensure a reasonable coverage of public chargers (which will be rarely used), last night both SWMBO and I had to download and register for the following apps

Polar Instant

Ecotricity (Electric Highway)

Shell Recharge

apply for a £20 per year RFID card from Charge Your Car ( so we can access Scottish network when we go on our regular trips there)

Register with Genie Point

Some apps needed us to register a credit card with them. Some have taken a £10 deposit. From each of us, as we might not be travelling together. Some also want us to have an RFID card..some of which are free, some of which have cost us money.

Frankly this is utter rubbish. I don’t have to register my card details with multiple oil companies just to be able to refuel the ICE.

if people are serious about encouraging a mass change to EVs then the ability to turn up to a reliably working charge point, plug in and swipe debit/credit card to get the charge started is I think critical.

to have to have a handful of RFID cards with you, and needing a reliable phone signal to make a charge point work is utterly ridiculous.

#Rant mode off!

·
Registered
565 Posts
All the information you could ever want is on this site, and is regurgitated time and time again. Please search and read, if this is important to you the time to search is worth it.
One for starter here...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
1) I need chargers like Instavolt, contacless on major routes, at least 2, for long distance travel.
2) I am fortunate and have home charging, others need local rapid / 7kW easy access on street chargers for regular charging for people in apartments / terraced housing.

Lidl are a good example of an App based charging structure that works, Pod-point is ok, I can live with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts