Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote a letter to Green Cornwall Team at Cornwall Council, which was subsequently passed onto
Drive EV Project, Development Team, Cornwall Development Company regarding future charging infrastructure. I thought I would share it as it looks good for Cornwall.

"I am responding to your enquiry received by the Green Cornwall Team at Cornwall Council.

I am pleased to confirm that Cornwall Council has been successful in securing Department for Transport funding to install a network of EV chargers across Cornwall. We are aiming to install chargers in strategic locations right across Cornwall and this will naturally include points along the A38, A39 and A30 corridors as well as key towns including Truro, Falmouth and Helston along with locations in rural areas. We will be able to announce specific locations once the host sites are contracted with legal agreements in place and site surveys have been completed satisfactorily (for 3 phase power supply and mobile reception for example).

The chargers will be publically accessible. The project must be completed next year so partners are working to urgent deadlines. We expect to begin to make announcements about this project in the coming weeks and will publish the location of the chargers during the launch of the network in 2015.

We could do with a couple of fast chargers in deepest Cornwall so fingers crossed!

Andrew

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate
2,632 Posts
Thankyou Andrew as a new owner in Cornwall we have looked at escaping from Cornwall in the ion and it really is a challenge at the moment. Lets hope something actually happens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all, we've had a LEAF in Falmouth for over 3 years. Don't worry about escaping from Cornwall, we went over the Tamar once, didn't see much of interest so came back ;)

3 or so well sited rapids will be very nice as and when they appear but if there are silly per kw/h charging costs I doubt they'll be used much as home charging so simple and for a lot of the year if you've driven more than 50 miles in Cornwall you're pretty bored of waiting in various queues and jams...

The Ecotricity rapid at Bodmin should be live soon apparently.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate
2,632 Posts
We are wanting to get to Torquay and back a few times a year and its looking like a long trip there and even longer to get back until a rapid goes in around saltash/Plymouth. Vospers is only for Leafs (Leaves)

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate
2,632 Posts
Ah there you go IF you buy the car from them.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Vospers Plymouth is a Renault dealer also and has a Renault AC charger. I am pretty sure it is the Renault charger that the Zoe would use as it cannot use the Nissan DC Rapid charger.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
The Renault charger is almost next to the Nissan one. At the front of the Renault showroom. The Nissan showroom is next door. :)

Vospers seem to sell almost every make of car!

Mr Vosper, the owner, drives a Leaf!

·
Registered
604 Posts
The chargers will be publically accessible. The project must be completed next year so partners are working to urgent deadlines. We expect to begin to make announcements about this project in the coming weeks and will publish the location of the chargers during the launch of the network in 2015.

We could do with a couple of fast chargers in deepest Cornwall so fingers crossed!

Andrew
Please God, not Chargemaster.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I have spoken to Cornwall council many times and it is like talking to a brick wall. They simply refuse to believe that there is a better way that their way. I have given up on them I am sorry to say.

I also believe that Chargemaster offer councils a turnkey, hassle-free solution. It is an attractive proposition for them and the poor old EV owner is not high on their priority list. I don't believe that lobbying or petitioning will have any impact unless it is done by an EV drivers organisation with a significant number of members (not 100's but 1000's or 10,000's)... then they might listen.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
As I am a greenhorn whats the problem with Chargemaster?

Also found this on a press release

The project will see Scottish and Southern Electric (SSE) install and
maintain the council’s network of an approximate 23 rapid charge
points (20-30 mins) and 22 fast charge points (1-4 hours). SSE
Contracting began site surveys in February 2014 and are hoping to start
installing shortly to provide a 24/7 publically accessible network by March

are Chargemaster related?

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
As I am a greenhorn whats the problem with Chargemaster?
What's right with them?

Can I suggest you do a few searches on the forum. There are lots of threads about it and it would probably be a good idea not to turn this into yet another one :eek:

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate
2,632 Posts
So charge at home and longer trips in the ice it is then. Mind you here in Cornwall we should be grateful we can charge at home seeing as we only got electricity recently.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Looks like Truro is going to get its first rapid charger at the ‘County Arms public house' http://countyarmstruro.co.uk/ which is being installed by Scottish and Southern Energy Power. (watch this space)

Also three fast chargers in the car park of the County Hall, all of which will be available for public use – probably by end Mar 2015

The County Arms pub will be getting my trade on the visits to Truro :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not a fan of their food, but I am surprised that someone like McDonald's hasn't jumped on the chance of offering charging points at all of its outlets I assume they must have a few........... fast food, fast charge?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50 2020, Volkswagen ID.3
406 Posts
Thanks for posting the latest news - that rapid in Truro could be a handy pitstop for me when coming back from a visit to the Falmouth area.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like Cornwall's Council chargers are being installed by SSE and will then be accessible through
ChargePoint Genie (Charge Point Services) for the next three years.

Throws information into the bear pit and stands back.........................

1 - 20 of 406 Posts