Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the Park and Ride, Broxden roundabout at Perth there are 3 charging posts that I recognise along with a couple that I don't. They are not operational yet even although they are powered up and from what I have been able to find out they will be part of the Charge Your Car network. Can anyone tell me if I would be able to use the AC charging point on my Ampera that is on this point?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Can't say for certain without seeing the plug but I think that this is a rapid charger and similar to the Ecotricity ones although a different make. That would mean they are a type 2 plug and cannot be used by the Ampera/Volt.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The left hand plug looks like the type 2 but I did not remove it from the holster, the right hand one is a good bit larger. I have had another look at another photograph I took and it has 'Electric Vehicle Rapid Charger' on the right hand side of the unit, you can just see the tail end of 'Charger' in this photograph.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Only got my ampera 2-weeks ago and tried to, for the first time to use a public charger but the CYC ones in my area, port Seton -prestonpans seem to be the tempered type 2 type, I have a type 2 to type 1 cable and tried to fit it into the type 2 charge plug at the end of the tethered cable, but it wouldn't work, it fitted ok but the charge point wouldn't give me any power, Are all the CYC charge points tethered or is there any that just have a socket, still learning about this..... James

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Tethered type 2 plugs won't work with the Ampera. What you are looking for are type 2 sockets, these are much smaller units with usually two sockets, covered by flaps to keep out the elements. You can do a filter on the app to show you these ones. On the map the ones that are 'F' (22kW) or 'S' (7Kw or 3kW [rare}) will do for the Ampera. With these, I used to plug the cable into the car first, hold the card to the reader until it is authorised (flap will unlatch) and then plug the cable into the socket. If you have the car set to timed charging (for off-peak if you have an off-peak meter at home) then you will need to override it so that it charges immediately. When you press the door button to open the charge port then a message displays on the centre screen which allows you to charge immediately.

I've tried to put the link in for the map which shows your area with suitable chargers showing.

Edited again, to see that I started this thread not long after I bought my Ampera and found new chargers, just lets you know that we were all new once, had to learn and,, for me, I still am.

Edited again to say to stop the charge, I present the card to the reader again, it displays a message to the effect that charging has stopped. you can now remove the plug from the charger (you may need to push it in a bit to release the locking pin) and then unplug it from the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks Ian the chargers here in port Seton and prestonpans seem to be the same type CYC chargers one Chad, 1 CCS and 1 43 kilowatts type 2 port but they all have cables

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had been looking on the zap map but the charge map gives the chargers with much better detail, using the filter it gives me the type 2 with the port rather than the cable but there's none near me so would need to go to macmerry as opposed to the community centre 100 yards away from me. Thank you ...James

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's weird it doesn't come up on the charge map as being a socket it comes up on the charge map is being tethered just shows you you can't rely on these apps for accuracy, I'll go along there at some point tomorrow and check it out. thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts