Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people!

My name is Koen Elands and I am a third year automotive engineering student at the Technical university of Eindhoven. For a project we designed an adapter on a charging pole which will be more energy efficient so it will reduce the costs of charging and it is better for the energy grid. I made a small questionnaire, could you please help me with filling it in? It will only take you one minute and it will help me a lot!

Link:
Electric charging poles

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Koen, good idea charging slower so less resistive loss. But integrating to car state of charge, departure time, and cheap overnight tarriff will be daunting with many ev types and changing web software, and a pain to do manually. I would think it more economic to just to sell and install a charge point with upgraded wiring for most consumers. So go for 10mm feed wire not 2.5mm, also this would still allow efficient chargeing, but allow grid management to interplay.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Hello people!

My name is Koen Elands and I am a third year automotive engineering student at the Technical university of Eindhoven. For a project we designed an adapter on a charging pole which will be more energy efficient so it will reduce the costs of charging and it is better for the energy grid. I made a small questionnaire, could you please help me with filling it in? It will only take you one minute and it will help me a lot!

Link:
Electric charging poles

Thanks in advance!
Hi Koen,

I'm not sure which countries you're running the questionnaire in but you might want to ask a native English speaker to review the wording. The phrase "charging pole" doesn't really mean very much; I think you mean "charge point".

Also you should be aware that most cars charge more efficiently at higher currents. The higher losses due to resistive heating in the charging cables are more than compensated for by the fact that the car's systems consume energy while they're powered up. For example when charging a Tesla Model S roughly 1A of the charging current is wasted by powering the car's systems. This means that charging at 32A is more efficient than charging at 10A.

Also in the UK specifically there are time of use based electricity tariffs that mean that charging in a specific time window overnight is much cheaper, so it is preferable to charge quickly during those hours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts