Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had the door on their charging port stick?

It happens most of the time now... I will push the open button in the drivers door and get out to plug in only to find the door still closed. Using the keyfob I can hear the release but the door does not oopen. I have to apply a little pressure with my finger to ensure that when the catch releases it actually opens.

It seems that the spring isn't strong enough or it is sticking in some way.

Yet another thing to get the dealer to look at. :roll:

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have similar issue with the button on the door, but on the key fob it works every time, if you keep the button on door pressed for a little longer that works as well

regards

Costas

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried holding the button pressed for longer and that worked for a few times but it doesn't open it at all now automatically.

I shall quirt something lubricating on it tomorrow and see it that helps :shock:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine has started to not open today.The solenoid is operating ok but the door sticks.I given it a squirt of 3 in 1 and will try again this evening

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine started working again this evening. I will have to give it a squirt of something tomorrow... good idea :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
sometimes if refuses to open, but pressing the button whilst giving it some encouragement with ones fingers does the trick. Next service, that will be on the list.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
So why does we all get the same problem at the same time? is it weather related? I just had to apply oil to the hinge to this weekend also.

I'm now curious as to how the flap will stand up to icing, could be a PITA if you cant open the flap to charge when you get home because its frozen solid, or cant close it in the morning...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I feel like a proper Ampera owner now - I've just had my charge port door stick :)

So as regards lubrication, I've seen both 3-in-1 and WD40 suggested in this thread - WD40 sounds easier to get inside the holes. But can those who've done this indicate where exactly they sprayed the stuff to get the desired effect? You can't see an actual hinge as its behind trim.. I don't want to just spray it everywhere and hope.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I used WD40 and sprayed into the recess that the lock tang fits.This is where the solenoid is but as you say you cant see it just spray and hope. It worked for me but seems to need a fresh squirt every 3 months

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Paul Churchley said:
I sprayed it with WD40 but as you say, it needs regular repeats.
You sprayed the same place as the previous poster Paul? i.e. the hole that the little locking tang comes out of on the right hand side?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Paul Churchley said:
Yes... and the hinge too... and the tang on the door.
OK thanks, its the first time its stuck today...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was having the sticking door for a few weeks ever since the "rains came" along with temperature reduction.

I've used a little smear of petroleum jelly on the "tounge" (top and bottom) on the door and the recess in the aperture around and about the release pin. Have had no further problems and I also think this fix will last a bit longer than WD40.

Big Paul

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Mine started happening within a couple of months. I have to apply slight pressure on the hinge side of the door when operating the solenoid. I have tried the slipperiest silicon stuff I know to no avail.

Happily the only thing on the list for the first service.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There are a number of discussions on the GM-Volt.com blog on this.

"White grease or any grease or oil based product will, as a previous poster pointed out, attract dirt, grime, etc...... the fix is silicone spray...... there are several close fitting parts on the door. Drag on any one or a combination can cause the door to stick. Spray, wipe, done, enjoy."

I'm in the larger group that has never had a problem, even with the charge door. Living in Colorado is perhaps the reason with low humidity.

Hope this helps.

Ross

1 - 20 of 81 Posts