Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Charging port pins

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Greg Elmassian 
#1 ·
I had the car plugged in over the weekend for an over night charge, noticed in the morning the car had not charged. nothing to worry about still 40% left, went to work and back and a shopping run later on, decided
to use a destination charger while out shopping. I couldn't get a charge started here either, took the plug out and checked it. Plug looked ok on my lead and it is a tethered charger at home. thought this was strange even with turning off the scheduled charging. unplugged and had a look a the charge port and noticed one of the communication pins the right one had some how slid back into the port and is half the length on the left one. Managed to start a charge by holding the plug up a bit for the communications to work and the charge started and stayed charging. back at home later on and tried again to charge the car, would only start charging by holding the plug up a bit, and it charged to 100%. Anybody have this happen to them? car is going in for a service on friday anyway will get them to check/fix it. I did not think I had plugged it in any differently than normal for this to happen.

#5 ·
I had something similar happen, thought it was the pins in the connectror but it wasn't. I was fooled by rocking the handle, so couldn't figure it out. Then took apart the charging handle, found the microswitch in the mechanical latch had come out of adjustment, so it was not telling the system that the handle was mechanically engaged. A slight adjustment and it is fine.

Clearly rocking the handle agitated the locking lever assembly which also wiggled the microswitch inside the handle.

Greg

#9 ·
Sorry, type 1 handle, type 2 charger...

apparently the handles have a microswitch that stops the power from the charger if the handle does not sense the locking latch is fully engaged....

Do not think this is part of the socket standard, but an extra safety feature in the handle/charger (even though the charger is not a charger, but a power connection with some smarts as to current supplied)

Greg

#10 ·
Well I am back from service, they could not find anything wrong with the charge port, they called asking me what was happening within an hour in to checking it, as they could not find anything. let them know it did happen this morning as I got a message on the phone saying it happened again and 3 messages of charging complete, they would have another look at it. they did a software update and that should sort it? Did not do the infotainment update I asked for, and they checked the brakes as they were binding slightly on the rear making a noise while driving, raised a support ticket? changed the filter air? I guess the cabin filter at 42 euro ouch!! service, screen wash 2.50 and a wash, total 125.00 euro, will see when I charge it later on if its fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.