Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I've been following the forum for over a year but never posted. I have a 2019 Kona EV and just this week I've noticed something strange with the charging port.

The white light is fine when you open the port, the green light is fine when it's charging. But sometimes I'm seeing both a green light but with a red light at the bottom??? I'm going to see if I can reproduce it - it doesn't seem to affect charging. I first saw it when using a Rapid charger and thought there was an error, but both the car and charger were charging fine.

I wonder if, with all this weather, water has got in it - or it's just gone faulty. Not sure why I've won a red bottom? It's doesn't always do it. Any one else seen this?

·
Registered
Kona Electric, EU base with heat pump
473 Posts
This defect has been reported about four other times. Just have the dealer repair it under warranty at your convenience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers - I've contacted my dealer - let's see what the response is. I've not had a lot of luck with the items I've reported so far.

·
Registered
2019 Kona 65Kw 2017 Outlander phev gx4hs
577 Posts
Hey all. I've been following the forum for over a year but never posted. I have a 2019 Kona EV and just this week I've noticed something strange with the charging port.

The white light is fine when you open the port, the green light is fine when it's charging. But sometimes I'm seeing both a green light but with a red light at the bottom??? I'm going to see if I can reproduce it - it doesn't seem to affect charging. I first saw it when using a Rapid charger and thought there was an error, but both the car and charger were charging fine.

I wonder if, with all this weather, water has got in it - or it's just gone faulty. Not sure why I've won a red bottom? It's doesn't always do it. Any one else seen this?

View attachment 127824 View attachment 127825 View attachment 127826
MMMMM a red bottom !

·
Registered
Kona Electric, EU base with heat pump
473 Posts
Yep, a very likely failure mode. I cleaned the area then finger-pushed silicone RTV into the fine gaps then wiped it down with a wet microfibre rag to remove that remaining on the surfaces.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I contacted my dealer via the Hyundai website and I've heard nothing back. Guess I'm gonna need to call them - I'm not conviced they will be able to fix it given the lack of any progress on a number of faults I've raised with them. Not very pleased with Hyundai dealers in London.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I contacted my dealer in London about my charging port light-show issues - in February - and heard nothing back. What with COVIDS, I've not chased them about it.

I'm going to call them tomorrow - anyone have any idea what the warranty period is on the charging port? My car is now over one year old (although the fault occurred after 7 months). I hoping it's at least two years warrantly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts