Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you look at page 12 of the attached document you can diagnose where the issue is. You'll need to put a multimeter between Gnd and the Control Pilot pin.
The car signals to the charger via applying resistor values on the Control Pilot line.

You could have an issue with the control pilot wire being intermittent.

Don't test if you're not comfortable with electrical equipment, as it needs to be turned on to test.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Buy a 2nd hand podpoint from ebay & fit it in place of the Rolec IIWY.
Did Rolec send you their own brand replacement RCBO? If so, I'd ignore it. Get a decent Garo and fit that. There are only 3 electrical items in the Rolec than can go wrong, plus the cable & cable-connections. I'm assuming your 240V supply is okay, and isn't dropping below whatever's the min voltage that EVSEs want to begin with. But GTE only charges at about 3 kW, so that shouldn't be the problem, I'd have thought.
You could swap out your Rolec ECU for a Viridian Mainpine one, available on eBay £88.
EPC - Viridian (Mainpine) 32A EPC Electronic Protocol Controller EVSE 0.15kg | eBay
It can't drive the Rolec LED lamp, as polarity is wrong, but you can put clear plastic window in and look through at the built-in LED on the Mainpine ECU.
There's only the contactor itself left... wouldn't surprise me if that's a real cheapo one as well. Shouldn't cost much tp swap in a known-good one of those, before trying the ECU.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Be reasonable but ultimately your contract was with the installer.
You have a 3 year warranty.
If they are not prepared to fulfil that warranty give them warning that you will get someone in to sort it and will persue them for the cost regardless of how far you have to go.
I had the threaten a MCOL but they folded even though I was outside of the 3 year warranty.

I am prepared to fight if I believe it is right. They obviously weren't prepared to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Latest Update. 18th February.

Thanks for the latest contributions, especially Philtrick123 for the technical manual. Unfortunately such testing is beyond my capability.

But it shouldn't be my responsibility to try to diagnose the problem, let alone start replacing parts, or to liaise between the installer and the supplier. I realise that legally speaking my contract might be with the installer, but that doesn't help me if he doesn't answer my messages. I believe that ultimate responsibility lies with the supplier, particularly when they supplied the original contact with the installer. And what happens if the installer ceases trading? Does that invalidate the warranty or absolve the supplier of any responsibility?

Fortunately, Rolec are still being helpful so I haven't given up hope. I spoke to somebody there this morning and they are arranging for a different installer to come to look at it.
Fingers crossed again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As was mentioned previously. Drive your car to another charge point and test there. You can use the battery hold feature on the car to maintain the charge while you're driving.
I wonder which battery the telemetry electrics car use when it's locked
We had a GTE previously, and I seem to remember that I could hear the contactor activating randomly when I was working in the garage. We can't hear the contactor in our house.
The Rolec contactor is noisy- a thunk each time it activates.

If it turns out everything is operating correctly, then you might need to change the contactor to a 'silent one'.
Something like this Hager Silent Contactor . Please seek advice before buying.

·
Registered
970 Posts
But it shouldn't be my responsibility to try to diagnose the problem, let alone start replacing parts, or to liaise between the installer and the supplier. I realise that legally speaking my contract might be with the installer, but that doesn't help me if he doesn't answer my messages.
Here is what you should do if you cannot make progress:
  • Write a stern but polite letter or email detailing the issues you are having (if a letter, get proof of postage)
  • Detail the installers obligations under the OLEV Contract
  • State that the contract is between you and the installer, not Rolec.
  • Note that you would prefer to resolve this matter amicably, but if the installer is unable to repair the installation to your satisfaction, that it may be necessary to pursue further action, possibly including involving OLEV and/or a small claims court. Note that this is your least preferred route and that you would prefer to resolve the matter without involving a third party.
If you paid for the installation on a credit card, the credit card provider may have an obligation to cover you in the event of contract failure by the third party.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As was mentioned previously. Drive your car to another charge point and test there. You can use the battery hold feature on the car to maintain the charge while you're driving.
I would do this basic test and that will be conclusive where the fault lies. If you go to another charger and its stop/start charging then you know its the car. Gives you more weight when contacting the Rolec installers.
Could you also use the plug in charger to test with? Charger on Rolec until the clunking, then swap over to the 13A plug in charger. Not sure if the plug in charger shows charging status??

BTW- is the installer an official Rolec installer. If so send a copy of any chase letter to Rolec as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
LATEST UPDATE
Rolec now seem to have gone back on their offer to send a different installer to look at the problem. I'm increasingly frustrated with them.
In the meantime I'm unable to get any reply from the original installer, Aero-Holdings of Boughton Industrial Estate, Newark.
Does anybody know if they still exist? I've emailed OLEV to ask them to help.
If Aero-Holdings no longer exist, can I take legal action against Rolec in order to get them to honour the 3 year warranty which is fast reaching the end?

PS. I'm certain that the charger is at fault (not the car) because none of the other chargers I have tried has given the same problem.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I think the issue may be - you do not have a contract with Rolec, but with the installer. Rolec do not provide the 3 year warranty (unless otherwise stated), but Aero-Holdings do.

Unfortunately if Aero-Holdings are not replying, all you can do is attempt to pursue legal action, which could be costly.

OLEV may be able to advise -- I would suggest phoning them if possible?

Did you pay for the install on a credit card? A contract failure like this is covered under the Consumer Credit Act. The credit card company would be jointly liable, and in the case of Aero-Holdings ceasing to exist or becoming insolvent, would cover the cost of the install. They would not cover the OLEV grant payments, though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
LATEST UPDATE 25thFeb.

As I had feared the installer, Aero-Holdings or Aero-Charge, now seems to have gone into liquidation.

I finally managed to speak to OLEV today. They confirmed that in such circumstances the manufacturer, Rolec now have to honour their warranty.

Unfortunately Rolec have now become utterly unhelpful, failing to return calls or answer emails. The end of the 3 year warranty period is very close so it is now time to send them notice of intended prosecution if they fail to rectify the situation. I'm starting to look at alternative home chargers to have fitted. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I'm surprised that OLEV are willing to let Rolec hide from their responsibilities. They should be threatening to remove them from their list of approved manufacturers which would focus their attention.
In terms of units to consider now, EO, ChargedEV and Zappi in ascending price order. It does depend on what features you need / want.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
LATEST UPDATE 25thFeb.

As I had feared the installer, Aero-Holdings or Aero-Charge, now seems to have gone into liquidation.

I finally managed to speak to OLEV today. They confirmed that in such circumstances the manufacturer, Rolec now have to honour their warranty.

Unfortunately Rolec have now become utterly unhelpful, failing to return calls or answer emails. The end of the 3 year warranty period is very close so it is now time to send them notice of intended prosecution if they fail to rectify the situation. I'm starting to look at alternative home chargers to have fitted. Any recommendations?
Sorry to hear your installer has folded but good that OLEV are saying Rolec are now responsible. I am a little surprised though I will be honest.

As I have said earlier, even after my warranty was over I was able to bully/cajole Rolec into supplying a replacement RCBO.

Just a bit of heads up, using terms like Notice of Intended Prosecution won't serve you well. You can not prosecute them, it is not a legal matter. It is a civil matter. You can issue a Money Claim Online. MCOL, to recover your losses. But you will have to have engaged someone to repair your unit or replaced it that has incurred your costs.

Not looked recently but it used to be £25 to start an MCOL.

Much better to threaten it but as a means to "focus" their attention.

Even at court it is a human and is not a guaranteed win so carefully consider your options.

Best of luck with your outcome.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hi Electrician

Yes, you're right, I should have said "Court Claim" rather than prosecution!
I've used the procedure in the past, either through the County Courts or MCOL, and nearly always successfully.
The fee is still fairly low, depending on the amount of the claim, and is fully recoverable.
If it should come to that stage, and I hope it won't, I'll need to decide whether to claim for a new charger and fitting,
or just the cost of a repair by a qualified engineer.

I did manage to persuade Rolec to send me a new RCBO some time ago but it didn't cure the problem. I suspect
that the contactor could be at fault, but it shouldn't be my job to diagnose or repair a product which is still under
warranty.

Regards
Mike

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Hi Electrician

Yes, you're right, I should have said "Court Claim" rather than prosecution!
I've used the procedure in the past, either through the County Courts or MCOL, and nearly always successfully.
The fee is still fairly low, depending on the amount of the claim, and is fully recoverable.
If it should come to that stage, and I hope it won't, I'll need to decide whether to claim for a new charger and fitting,
or just the cost of a repair by a qualified engineer.

I did manage to persuade Rolec to send me a new RCBO some time ago but it didn't cure the problem. I suspect
that the contactor could be at fault, but it shouldn't be my job to diagnose or repair a product which is still under
warranty.

Regards
Mike
Good to hear you are familiar with the process. I have threatened but never had to enact it.

·
Registered
970 Posts
It's not a NIP. That's what you get for speeding. And with very few exceptions, you don't prosecute someone. You are making a civil claim.

What you need to send is a politely worded letter setting out your concerns and what OLEV have told you. It needs to give Rolec a reasonable amount of time to respond (14 days) with what they are going to do to rectify the situation. You have informed them of the defect prior to the warranty expiring, so there is no need to rush.

Should this fail, you should then send a second letter, a "Letter before Action", which will tell Rolec you are planning to take them to court. At this point most companies settle. It is up to you whether you are actually prepared to take them to Small Claims court. The cost of doing so is around £35 ~ £50 (depending on the amount), but you would ultimately not plan to take them to court because it will take many hours of your time to do so.

It continues to boggle my mind that small companies (Aero Holdings in your case) can simply go insolvent with the director running away from the business, if they have failed to perform work to a reasonable standard. A friend of mine had his house rendered, and 3 years later tried to claim on the so-called warranty. The company went into liquidation the next week. Thankfully, as he paid the £500 deposit on his Barclaycard, it meant Barclaycard were liable for the full £8,500 job.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
PROBLEM SOLVED? After a lot of pressure Rolec have finally sent an engineer from Boston armed with a car full of components in order to finally sort out the problem.
The charging lead and RCBO had already been replaced so he fitted a new "brain" and a new quieter contactor. So every component except the outer shell has now been
replaced and hopefully the problem has been solved.
Unfortunately we haven't discovered which component was causing the intermittent disconnection problem, and it's possible that the problem is still there but we don't
notice it because the new contactor is a lot quieter and we might not be hearing it from inside the house.
And of course it's still possible that the problem was related to the car's software rather than the charge point despite VW's insistence to the contrary.
The car is going back to VW for a service and recall check for a battery related issue very soon, so it will be interesting to see whether it has stored any more charging related
fault codes.
But well done to Rolec for finally accepting responsibility and sorting out the problem.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
PROBLEM SOLVED? After a lot of pressure Rolec have finally sent an engineer from Boston armed with a car full of components in order to finally sort out the problem.
The charging lead and RCBO had already been replaced so he fitted a new "brain" and a new quieter contactor. So every component except the outer shell has now been
replaced and hopefully the problem has been solved.
Unfortunately we haven't discovered which component was causing the intermittent disconnection problem, and it's possible that the problem is still there but we don't
notice it because the new contactor is a lot quieter and we might not be hearing it from inside the house.
And of course it's still possible that the problem was related to the car's software rather than the charge point despite VW's insistence to the contrary.
The car is going back to VW for a service and recall check for a battery related issue very soon, so it will be interesting to see whether it has stored any more charging related
fault codes.
But well done to Rolec for finally accepting responsibility and sorting out the problem.
Glad to hear Rolec stepped up.
Wish you well for future charging.

·
Registered
660 Posts
We had a GTE from new from September 2015, alongside a Rolec tethered charge point one month later.
Replacement RCBO as part of the course, initially a different B to D curve, then the newer style green type, due to being unable to reset after stupidity using the "Test" button.
At no point in the 4+ years of GTE ownership did the Rolec ever fail to charge our car.
Upon ordering our Tesla in July, an order was placed for a Zappi2. Unfortunately due to both changes of installer, revisions to prices, the Zappi2 was only fitted two months ago four months after the Tesla arrived.
In this time, the Rolec soldiered on feeding the Tesla, my son's Leaf2 and my daughter's Zoe; without so much as clunk.
Rolec is generally a simple and reliable, but cheaper unit; apart from the well known RCBO issues.
Given that OLEV state as part of the install, 3 years warranty is part and parcel; you'd expect exactly that, 3 years trouble free use.
If you are going to replace this unit, best advice is look for recommendations from other customers and get at least three quotes.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts