Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a Zappi charger installed for my new M3. After several weeks of use I notice that the Zappi does not always connect properly although it looks to be seated home correctly. The symbol on the Zappi turns red. If I leave it like that, charging does not take place. Sometimes the car displays a message (something like "charger not connected properly").
This happens 3 out of 4 times I attempt to connect. Sometimes I have to try 5 times, standing around and waiting for the connection to cycle and confirm success. Apparently just removing and re-insterting the plug, without any visible difference, sometimes it is successful and sometimes not.
I want to get the installer back to check the Zappi but thought I would check on the forum in case the problem is with the car rather than the charging unit, in which case I need to refer it to Tesla Service.
Anyone had similar experiences?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did but I'm not sure I'll be much help! I ignored the problem for a week or two because I was too busy to do anything about it and it suddenly seemed to start working properly. 6 months on I haven't had an issue since. Not sure how long you've endured it, but maybe give it a few more cycles and see if it beds in (not that that makes any technical sense I am sure, but it worked for me!). I too couldn't work out whether the issue was with the charger or the car and was not looking forward to being told by Tesla that it was the charger's fault and being told by my installer that it was Tesla's problem!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,715 Posts
The next way to check the car then is to go to a rapid charger that has a type 2 cable attached and use the AC cable (please don't leave your car there too long on the AC connecter and the 3 should really be using the CCS DC plug). This will let you know if the car behaves the same way as it does with your tethered cable.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Worth browsing the MyEnergi forums - they are quite active / supported by MyEnergi so if there is a compatibility issue between Zappi and M3 there will likely be a configuration setting / firmware update to fix it.

·
Registered
M3 LR+ AWD white/19" alloys/tow hook.
98 Posts
13 months with a 3 LR & 11 with a tethered Zappi 2. Charged every time I've used it exactly as planned on either Eco, Eco+ (solar) or FAST (for a timed charge).

I've always made sure I'm using the latest firmware for both Zappi & the hub so I suggest @gnomen calls Darren (tech) at myenegi to review the settings as he's very helpful and knowledgeable, more so than most installers (they have a Model 3 at myenergi)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts