Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My portable charger has suddenly started tripping out during charging, often after an hour or two. Not sure whether it's the cable, car or dodgy Devon electrics. Anyone had similar problems? I've been quoted a new one from VW at £788, which has set the pulse racing. Advice and comments most welcome

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you mean the granny lead charger? the one that goes in a 3 pin plug? Before i got my wall charger when i used mine it used to over heat the plug and cut out. Where in Devon are you? Im only in Taunton Somerset.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean the granny lead charger? the one that goes in a 3 pin plug? Before i got my wall charger when i used mine it used to over heat the plug and cut out. Where in Devon are you? Im only in Taunton Somerset.
Yes & Yes. Kingsbridge. Many thanks for the response. I'm not sure that the plug is overheating. The current is limited to 10 Amps, well within limits, and has been working OK for the last 3 years. I could reduce it further, though. Maybe I should also get a wall mounted socket.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I used mine overnight for a few weeks before getting a charge point fitted and it also over heated the house socket it was plugged into, it actually melted/burned some of the plastic of the socket and tripped the circuit breaker in the house. I was pleased to stop using it and that the Government gives £500 towards a charge point even on secondhand vehicles.

·
EV fan since 2001
33 Posts
Been using our granny cable most nights for the last 3 months, no issues thus far. It doesn't seem that reliable if a few members here have reported issues.

Could you cheaper to plug something else in for a few hours to discount the socket being the problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, I bought a 2nd cable from EV connectors I think there in the Uk when I first bought the car. I was really worried that somebody would steal it (the one coming with the car) or it could break and I would not have another cable. At that time, I was using the city parking which has free charing, but only the Shuko plug. The cable I bought has an adjustment for the intensity of the draw. At home, when plugging into the socket in the garage I noticed at times the pins being really hot when disconnecting. So, moving the selector down 2 notches solved that. Yeah, takes forever to charge, but when I do (rarely) plug in at home, it always is over the night.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My portable charger has suddenly started tripping out during charging, often after an hour or two. Not sure whether it's the cable, car or dodgy Devon electrics. Anyone had similar problems? I've been quoted a new one from VW at £788, which has set the pulse racing. Advice and comments most welcome
Problem now resolved; the lead was faulty and has been repaired (£50), and is now working fine. I'm not sure why you are all so disparaging about the portable charger. At a maximum of 10Amps for AC charging, it's well within the 13Amp limit for domestic plugs, and should not cause any overheating.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Stephen, I agree with you in theory, that is why I was very surprised when it melted my house socket! I wonder if they are rated at 13A but in reality very few appliances take that leave for hour after hour and it is pushing it to do so day after day ? I guess my socket could have had a fault but it seems a surprising coincidence if that is the case.

Pleased your repair was only £50

·
9,719 Posts
At a maximum of 10Amps for AC charging, it's well within the 13Amp limit for domestic plugs, and should not cause any overheating.
Is it, are domestic plugs rated for a constant 10a draw for several hours? Is there an example of another household appliance that would generate such a load?

Heat cycling a domestic socket will invariably loosen the contacts - generating more and more heat and making the problem worse etc etc. Whilst its perfectly safe to use a 13a socket you need to be mindful of this and check the socket regularly. Not all devices have a thermal cutout at the plug to protect against this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts