Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are loads of questions over the charging of Zoe's, but I would just like to relay (!) my experiences today and see if it's me, the car or the charge points that were the problem!!!

The zoe charges no problems at home on our 32a Chargemaster point.

I went to Asda at Mosborough in Sheffield today, so decided to make use of their Chargemaster points. After adding the £20 to my account (to use a free point ) I successfully set up everything, it all connected no problems and began charging.

It charged for two seconds, I got the whining noise from the car, then it stopped and the dash said something like 'power cut' and went red. The car stopped charging but the Chargemaster app said the point was still charging.

I unlocked (not a quick thing on the app!) and restarted it twice on the same point and got the same result.

I changed sockets on the point, same outcome.

I changed charging points, exactly the same outcome.

I rang Chargemaster and spoke to them, they had no record of any faults but said they would send out an engineer to look at them. He did ask how old my Zoe was as he said older ones had had problems. I explained mine was only 2 weeks old.

He suggested that I go and try a different charger, to make sure that it's not a fault wth the car, so I headed to Woodall services on the M1 (the nearest rapid) to find that out of service...

Anyways, the car charged fine last week at the charger at Crystal Peaks.

So, is it me, the car or the Chargemaster point?

I did feel a bit of a tit plugging and unplugging whilst people were asking me the benefits of electric vehicle use!!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fair point @Qdos, but it's where I shop on a regular basis (when I'm not overdosing on German bratwurst from aldi).

It just seemed strange it started charging, said it had sent 0.02kw...

Am going to try an ecotricity rapid near nottingham tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Fair point @Qdos, but it's where I shop on a regular basis (when I'm not overdosing on German bratwurst from aldi).

It just seemed strange it started charging, said it had sent 0.02kw...

Am going to try an ecotricity rapid near nottingham tomorrow!
I've had a problem like this before with an old elektrobay post that (in the end turned out to have a dodgy earth). @CYC explained that when Zoe charges the charge point and car agree what rate to charge at, then the charging starts with the charge point ramping up quickly to the agreed current. If there's a problem with the the supply, Zoe cuts off to protect itself. In my case this was after 0.07kwh.
My advice is that the car is fine, report the faulty units explaining that the Zoe doesn't like them.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Are you sure the French haven't shipped all their dodgy rejects over here recently now there is a big price drop?
Did anyone else get a different car spec to what was ordered?
Edit, just thought they would have to reverse the side of the steering wheel wouldn't they Duh!
Not impossible though...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I tried the same Chargemaster points at Asda Mosbrough today and got the same result - charged for a couple of seconds then cut off.

Is there any way of getting around this problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having EXACTLY the same problems with my Zoe at EXACTLY the same charge points!. Phew!. Thought it was just me. I've been in touch with Chargemaster numerous times re: The Asda Mosborough chargers. They just don't work at all. Last week when I called, they were completely dead - they had been turned off for some reason. I called Chargemaster (at 8pm) and they were quite helpful saying they would get the store staff to reset them in the morning. The lady did phone back the following day to say the staff on duty at Asda that day weren't able to reset the chargers but would do so the next day. Haven't dared to return yet in case I'm disappointed. I'm also having huge problems with several of the new N Power EV Inmotion chargers in and around Sheffield - most do not work consistently and are an absolute pain in the a--e to say the least. I've spoken to the area manager who insists it is the car at fault and NOT the chargers. I've had the car in at Renault and there are no faults. In my opinion it is definitely the chargers at fault - why on earth would I be able to charge at one charger fine on one day, and the next day it won't take a charge without cutting out. The N Power Area Manager states the Zoe is fussy with taking a charge (I'm glad it is with up to 43kW going into it!!). It seems every day I'm reporting faults with these chargers - mainly to Zap Map who have been a brilliant support. I arrived the other day at Bramall Lane charger (which I had been using with no problems for a week) with zero miles range and plugged in - guess what?? - charger cutting out and not able to charge.
I reckon we've just got to keep reporting these faults on a regular basis and something eventually will get done
Rant over!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm having EXACTLY the same problems with my Zoe at EXACTLY the same charge points!. Phew!. Thought it was just me. I've been in touch with Chargemaster numerous times re: The Asda Mosborough chargers. They just don't work at all. Last week when I called, they were completely dead - they had been turned off for some reason. I called Chargemaster (at 8pm) and they were quite helpful saying they would get the store staff to reset them in the morning. The lady did phone back the following day to say the staff on duty at Asda that day weren't able to reset the chargers but would do so the next day. Haven't dared to return yet in case I'm disappointed. I'm also having huge problems with several of the new N Power EV Inmotion chargers in and around Sheffield - most do not work consistently and are an absolute pain in the a--e to say the least. I've spoken to the area manager who insists it is the car at fault and NOT the chargers. I've had the car in at Renault and there are no faults. In my opinion it is definitely the chargers at fault - why on earth would I be able to charge at one charger fine on one day, and the next day it won't take a charge without cutting out. The N Power Area Manager states the Zoe is fussy with taking a charge (I'm glad it is with up to 43kW going into it!!). It seems every day I'm reporting faults with these chargers - mainly to Zap Map who have been a brilliant support. I arrived the other day at Bramall Lane charger (which I had been using with no problems for a week) with zero miles range and plugged in - guess what?? - charger cutting out and not able to charge.
I reckon we've just got to keep reporting these faults on a regular basis and something eventually will get done
Rant over!!
And breathe... ;-)))

It's still the same, although I haven't checked the Asda Drakehouse ones for a few weeks, they were completely dead when I went as well. Rang polar and they blamed the store as well...

With regards to the inmotion ones, I've just got off the phone with a bloke called Gary who is the npower rep for yorkahire I think. He knows of the problem (Meadowhall 22kwh were playing up again today, but rapid worked) and it is just Zoe's that are the problem.

Doesn't mean they can't/shouldn't fix it though!

He is on with it, apparently they are made in Germany so enquiries are ongoing with them.

It effects all their 22kwh chargers apparently, which includes Meadowhall, carver street, bramall lane and all others they have installed!!!

Not too good service for Sheffield I'm afraid...

·
Registered
964 Posts
Tweet Mr Nick Clegg, he has an interest both in the appointing of the UK EV Tsaar Elon Musk and Sheffield me thinks! Tory stitch up to cause the Lib Dems more grief pre-election, time they stopped falling for it isn't it?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
And breathe... ;-)))

It's still the same, although I haven't checked the Asda Drakehouse ones for a few weeks, they were completely dead when I went as well. Rang polar and they blamed the store as well...

With regards to the inmotion ones, I've just got off the phone with a bloke called Gary who is the npower rep for yorkahire I think. He knows of the problem (Meadowhall 22kwh were playing up again today, but rapid worked) and it is just Zoe's that are the problem.

Doesn't mean they can't/shouldn't fix it though!

He is on with it, apparently they are made in Germany so enquiries are ongoing with them.

It effects all their 22kwh chargers apparently, which includes Meadowhall, carver street, bramall lane and all others they have installed!!!

Not too good service for Sheffield I'm afraid...
Thanks for the info - I reckon I've got Gary Johnson's number on speed dial at the minute I seem to phone him that often. I know he is adamant it is the Zoe that is the problem but I tried the new N Power charger at Carver Lane, Sheffield centre last week and that was cutting out too. There was also a Mitsubishi PHEV at the side of me also unable to charge so it's not just the Zoe - just makes me more sure it is the chargers at fault. I do hope that with a bit of persuasion from we Zoe owners he can get a fix sooner rather than later.
Its good to know there's someone else out there with the same issues as me - was beginning to think I was a peculiar case!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts