Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an ev ( a renault zoe) since August. I use it to go to work every day (60mile round trip) and - in the middle of winter - obviously i'm charging it every night. From early on, there were times when it just randomly stopped charging after charging up about 20% more than when it started. I called Renault. They told me to talk to chargemaster. I did and chargemaster came out and found no fault - but changed the unit 'just in case'. The issue continued. Renault took the car to do checks - and I don't think did much except to say it charged fine on their charger. The issued continued. They took it away again. The courtesy Zoe they left with me mostly worked fine - then experienced the same problem - just once. Renault updated the software and tested it again - they found no issues and returned the car. The issue continues. It's happening most evenings now. If I get home at 6pm, I always nip out at 10pm to make sure it is charging. Mostly it isn't now - it displays 'on-going checks'. I unlock and open the door - it thinks for a bit then starts charging again and charges up overnight to 100%. If I get home at 10pm I can't do this, so wake up to a partially charged car which might not get me to and from work. All massively frustrating. I've gone back to chargemaster - but they are dragging their heels.

Anyone experienced this? Would be helpful to get some advice if you have. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you got any charging schedule set, Sarah?
I don't, no. I plug it in and leave it on until it's complete. Would that make a difference? Actually - the chargemaster charging app still thinks i have the old machine anyway - so whilst there's no timers or schedule planned, it's the wrong machine anyway so wouldn't work I don't think.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I don't, no. I plug it in and leave it on until it's complete. Would that make a difference? Actually - the chargemaster charging app still thinks i have the old machine anyway - so whilst there's no timers or schedule planned, it's the wrong machine anyway so wouldn't work I don't think.
What old machine is that?

I think you need a basic non-smart charger without Apps or wifi.

BTW, have you looked at Emma Jackman's video series? Not sure if it would help with your present problem, but you might find it interesting. Emma Jackman

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So they installed a type two charging unit in August. When they came because it wasn't working, they replaced it with another (identical but different serial number) machine. Neither work. I'll check out Emma Jackson - thanks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Why not try using the 13A plug in / granny charger (assuming one came with the car) - this will allow you to determine if it's the car or the charge point.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Like @G.a.r.y I'd hazard a guess that it's an earthing problem especially as it's happened with two different Zoes and the dealer can't find fault. Have you tried charging at a public charge point?

Reactions: Neilew

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,502 Posts
It is probably not an earthing problem. ZOE checks earth resistance at the start of a charging session. Your complaint is random charging stops, which is a different beast.

As you've experienced, this is a hard to debug problem. Don't assume either Chargemaster or Renault are just faffing around. I am assuming here that you are not that much interested in what could be technically wrong (but if you are, please indicate). Here is what I would do:
  • start calling Renault CS and have them open a case. Of course the dealers are their eyes and ears, but in my experience they are less likely to just let go with the issue unsolved.
  • is your chargepoint tethered? If not, borrow another cable from your dealer or elsewhere. Yes, they do break.
  • check for dirt in the cable and chargeports. Q-tips work wonders.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,219 Posts
Just had my BP chargemaster home charger replaced for a new one ( Still worked but had stopped senting any home charging info to the webpage )
New one is a Smart Charger.
The installer told me they now always install earth rods on all new home Charge boxes.

Going a bit off thread for a moment.
My son's electric's kept cutting out for a few hours a week just after he moved into his new home plus sometimes his neighbour was affected , he then found that the electric company had changed his meter 6 months before he purchased the house.
but they had not tightened up the Mains cable coming into the meter and the cable was loose that's why the power kept going on and off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like @G.a.r.y I'd hazard a guess that it's an earthing problem especially as it's happened with two different Zoes and the dealer can't find fault. Have you tried charging at a public charge point?
So Chargemaster have been back. Reconfigured the wiring and reinforced (added another) earth connection. So the earth is far better than it has to be. They’ve checked the power too. And replaced the unit again. So a third unit. Same problem. Car simply stops asking for a charge. And nothing changes until I open the car (wake it up). It then resumes charging to complete.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why not try using the 13A plug in / granny charger (assuming one came with the car) - this will allow you to determine if it's the car or the charge point.
They didn’t supply a granny charger - just one for my charging unit. So I can’t test this.
I’ve used it at public charging points four times (since august). Any issues I put down to my inexperience. But I think they all worked.
Problem is, it doesn’t work at my house. Charge master have looked at their analytics. Nothing their end. Three different units. Same problem.
Renault say it’s not the car either. But I gather it is the car that “asks for” the charge. And at some (random) point it simply stops asking. Sounds like the car has “issues” to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is probably not an earthing problem. ZOE checks earth resistance at the start of a charging session. Your complaint is random charging stops, which is a different beast.

As you've experienced, this is a hard to debug problem. Don't assume either Chargemaster or Renault are just faffing around. I am assuming here that you are not that much interested in what could be technically wrong (but if you are, please indicate). Here is what I would do:
  • start calling Renault CS and have them open a case. Of course the dealers are their eyes and ears, but in my experience they are less likely to just let go with the issue unsolved.
  • is your chargepoint tethered? If not, borrow another cable from your dealer or elsewhere. Yes, they do break.
  • check for dirt in the cable and chargeports. Q-tips work wonders.
Thank you! I have now opened a case. I’ve told them I want to reject the car. Charge master have replaced twice now. So three different units two different cables. Same problem. I’ll try the q-tips on the car end though.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Occam's Razor. Is your charge point tethered or untethered? I was talking to an installer recently about an issue that I have with my Rolec charger. He came back with two possible problems: one, an intermittent comms mode in the charging point or, two, a damaged comms wire in the untethered cable. This is a thin wire that runs alongside the main power wires. I am told that it can snap giving an intermittent connection.

You may struggle to reject the car if it has changed fully on A N Other charger.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,386 Posts
If the car and charger were essentially a package deal then it must be possible to reject both of them combined as one needs the other. It's not as if charging problems with a Zoe are unusual.

Without working home charging EVs are useless to a lot of people. If the OP said 'I have to be able to charge this at home every night' as part of the buying process then again it should be possible to get the car rejected if the supplying dealer can't or won't fix the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My thoughts exactly. Renault arranged for the charger to be installed as part of the deal. They knew how long my daily commute is. I told them very clearly what I needed it for. And it’s just not working. I’ve been very patient. Now I’ve had enough.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts