Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few things about people having untethered cables locked to the home charger after charging. Seems to be conflicting advice on the order to connect. Is it connect car then wall box or wall box then car and is it reverse when finished?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,840 Posts
It doesn't matter as no charging starts until the car and charger have communicated.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
The same "locking cable to EVSE" has been known to happen on things like public Podpoints before now. And this has sometimes forced people to leave their cable behind when they drive off, hoping the maintenance team wll recover it. And that hasn't always heppened either. So I (for one) snip away the 3 locking tabs at the EVSE end of my Type2->Type2 cable, just in case I ever have this problem. There's no way I'm leaving my cable behind! Expensive items.

The car can usually lock it in at the car's end, some have settings to select this, so I'm not worried about theft.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Plug it in whichever way you want. But for unplugging do the car first. Some chargepoints like Pod Point and Ecotricity for example only release the cable after the car has been disconnected. So even if you stop a charge, you won't be able to pull the cable out of a Pod Point or Ecotricity AC Post until you have unplugged the other end first.

As for trapped cables, the only other advice is to push the connector further in, before pulling it out. Sometimes the locking pin can get stuck and this will help with it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Does a triple press of the unlock button on the remote unlock the charge port if it is still locked, I seem to have read that some place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts