Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... is still terrible.

I viewed two new, purpose built flats over the last couple of weeks - one of which was on a massive new complex, and the other a standalone unit in a city centre (directly next to a commercial building with a Polar rapid and multiple 7kW posts!).

Neither development had EV charging or even power to the indoor “underground” parking spaces.

Even the new build housing estates I’ve looked at recently are completely lacking charging, and most of the houses no longer have a driveway or physically attached parking space.

As I’m sure some people here know, although my current building has 4 RFID 7kW chargers, they’re run by a useless third party (who probably just exist to siphon off grant money) and none of them are still working after 12 months.

None of these places are particularly cheap or otherwise badly fitted out either - I’m pretty sure you could buy a farm for the same price in 75% of the country - so I don’t think fitting a £500 EV charger to a £400k 2-bed flat would kill the developer’s margins.

We’re meant to be solving the problem of charging availability as a nation, not making it worse. What happened to these “new homes must have EV charging” rules?

What with this and the state of public charging, widespread EV adoption is a long way off and getting further away!

/rant

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,162 Posts
The legacy of John Prescott ending the requirement for parking spaces for new build. The age of the car is over in the city.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The legacy of John Prescott ending the requirement for parking spaces for new build. The age of the car is over in the city.
Interesting you say that. A couple across the road built a new 4 bedroomed house, and because it has 4 bedrooms they were made to provide off road parking for 3 cars!

Do the relevant authorities just make it up?

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,743 Posts
Interesting you say that. A couple across the road built a new 4 bedroomed house, and because it has 4 bedrooms they were made to provide off road parking for 3 cars!

Do the relevant authorities just make it up?
I think that planning by-laws can vary from council to council. So, effectively, each authority does make it up!

Maybe the new national Building Regulations that are to forbid the use of flammable cladding (what a novel idea!) will also require a chargepoint to be provided for each car parking space and proper Pasivhaus standard insulation to be provided.

Then no-one will be able to afford a new build house unless the mortgage providers can decide a way of allowing for the long term fuel costs to permit a higher mortgage offer based on income.

Since every major housebuilder has Boris's private number, I wouldn't hold your breath.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
We're in the early stages of a house move to Dundee, which as we know is doing well on the transistion to EVs. While my wife loves period houses, it hasn't escaped my attention that every new-build says it has or has provision for an EV charging point. Since she's the one that has to charge the car every night, that might be my "in" to get a house that isn't riddled with dry rot for once! ;)

Early stages though, all just internet browsing. I'm assuming "provision" means a properly configured consumer unit and a cable to an external wall, but am prepared to be disappointed.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,743 Posts
We're in the early stages of a house move to Dundee, which as we know is doing well on the transistion to EVs. While my wife loves period houses, it hasn't escaped my attention that every new-build says it has or has provision for an EV charging point. Since she's the one that has to charge the car every night, that might be my "in" to get a house that isn't riddled with dry rot for once! ;)

Early stages though, all just internet browsing. I'm assuming "provision" means a properly configured consumer unit and a cable to an external wall, but am prepared to be disappointed.
I would hope that you are right.

Good luck with the hidden agenda to avoid dry rot!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,631 Posts

Fingers crossed that it is suitable although technically a waterproof external 13 amp socket will meet your description.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,743 Posts
Fingers crossed that it is suitable although technically a waterproof external 13 amp socket will meet your description.
Sadly, would expect just a biggish cable from the consumer unit to the position of a future chargepoint, since it's just a marketing feature at present.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
A small development went up round the corner from us. Barring three spaces at the front, all the car parking spaces were provided with a light on the wall, which stands away from the actual houses. But, of course, putting a charger in would be too difficult.

As for period houses, beware English Heritage and their obsession with preserving a house that was probably rebuilt in the latest fashion several times before the decree went out that no more changes must be made as it's now to be frozen in time.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,162 Posts
As for period houses, beware English Heritage and their obsession with preserving a house that was probably rebuilt in the latest fashion several times before the decree went out that no more changes must be made as it's now to be frozen in time.
@Harry_Zoe is in Scotland so has a different set of zealots to be aware of. After two bad experiences I would not touch a controlled property - stupidity is not making mistakes but failing to learn from them.

technically a waterproof external 13 amp socket will meet your description.
and meets the regulations in England. We have been around the discussion of the suitability of "granny" chargers many times but the legislation is inadequate in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then no-one will be able to afford a new build house unless the mortgage providers can decide a way of allowing for the long term fuel costs to permit a higher mortgage offer based on income.
The mortgage offer isn’t the issue, it’s the deposits. Unless you’re 1) a first time buyer using HTB or 2) someone who has lived in a house - not a flat - for years and it’s appreciated in value, you’re going to find yourself coughing up £50-60k of your own money to move to a modest new 2 bedroom flat, as the deposit is minimum 15%.

Yes you can get 5% on used houses and 10% on new houses and used flats, but if you want a new flat, you’re screwed unless you’re using HTB or Scam Ownership (sorry, shared ownership).

·
Registered
284 Posts
My daughter’s new build was sold with provision for EV charging. It’s not a charger but an outside electrical point with suitable cabling back to the consumer. The only issue is that their house is a double fronted semi with her two parking bays to the left of the house and the charge point under the right hand window.

To get to the best location for the charger would mean about 15m of cable going up to the tile level(tile hung at first floor level, running over the front door and sling the front if the house, round the corner, round a chimney breast and down to the standard charger height.

When asked if they’d reposition it they refused, stating that a charge point wasn’t yet a legal requirement.

Looking around at the whole estate, there are only two out of thirty properties where the charge point is in a useable position.

·
Registered
628 Posts
My daughter’s new build was sold with provision for EV charging. It’s not a charger but an outside electrical point with suitable cabling back to the consumer. The only issue is that their house is a double fronted semi with her two parking bays to the left of the house and the charge point under the right hand window.

To get to the best location for the charger would mean about 15m of cable going up to the tile level(tile hung at first floor level, running over the front door and sling the front if the house, round the corner, round a chimney breast and down to the standard charger height.

When asked if they’d reposition it they refused, stating that a charge point wasn’t yet a legal requirement.

Looking around at the whole estate, there are only two out of thirty properties where the charge point is in a useable position.
🤦‍♂️ even in Milton Keynes, I'm surprised to see very few chargepoints in new builds...

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
🤦‍♂️ even in Milton Keynes, I'm surprised to see very few chargepoints in new builds...
Funny you should say that... 😉

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
656 Posts
On flats though don't you have the issue of who is going to pay for the electric? Unless it's run by a third party (in which case the rates will be high anyway), every resident would be sharing the cost of people's car charging.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most apartment charging I’ve seen is third party. Which would be fine if they were competent, but they’re not.

It wouldn’t be a stretch to just meter each charge point and bill the flat that leases the attached space though.

My personal view is that it should be included in the service charge - elevator maintenance is included, yet ground floor residents don’t use it etc. Until very recently, it was standard for water to be included in service charge - but for some reason new builds have taken a step backwards and now meter it 🙄

Before you know it they’ll take the bin room skips away and we’ll have to sort our rubbish like house residents do ffs 🙃

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,162 Posts
Unbelievable. :mad:

It’s not a charger but an outside electrical point with suitable cabling back to the consumer.
Out of interest, what rating? My guess would be 13A from the RCD used for the ring mains, meaning that any fault will trip the other sockets. The law needs to be a 32A circuit to EV charge point standards.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts