Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Bought a Nissan Leaf 2015 24kwh teckna on March 15th 2020.

When I bought it, it was on 43829 miles full service history Nissan and battery health was showing 92% SOH. I had it from a car garage and it was set to charge to 100% possibly by the previous owner as nothing else had been reset.

Following advice on the forums etc I set it to charge up to 80% on the charging timer. In the last month we've put a good few miles on it as my wife's been using it for work she's NHS so they're flat out with the corona virus. However I've been keeping my eye on the SOH using leafspy and here are the figures.

15th March - 43829 - 92.87%
28th March - 44369 - 88.24%
1st April - 44490 - 88.31%
5th April - 44696 - 87.31%
10th April - 44843 - 86.00%
14th April - 44959 - 85.65%
25th April - 45273 - 84.77%

Up until about 4 days ago I'd been charging using the 3 pin plug whilst I waited for my wall charger be put in. I don't know what I'm doing wrong for this to be plummeting down like this. I rarely drop below 20% and had been charging to 80% every night with that long life battery mode enabled and set to 80% on the charge timer. Car has only ever had 47 QC according to leaf spy.

Should I set it to 100% any advice greatly appreciated I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Car is still showing all its bars at the moment but how long that'll last I've no idea. Its not driven fast or hard either.

Thank you

·
Registered
431 Posts
80% was old advice when Leafs came out as nobody including Nissan knew how long batteries might last.

Most folk use 100% now and new models don’t have the option for 80%.

When it gets to 100% it also balances the cells for quite a while before it actually stops charging; at 80 it’ll never get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
80% was old advice when Leafs came out as nobody including Nissan knew how long batteries might last.

Most folk use 100% now and new models don’t have the option for 80%.

When it gets to 100% it also balances the cells for quite a while before it actually stops charging; at 80 it’ll never get there.

Thanks for the super fast reply. Do you think I'll of inadvertently done damage?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don’t pay attention to SoH or use Leafspy so I’ll leave that to other folk to reply. :)

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,157 Posts
SOH is regularly all over the place. All the dealer/seller had to do was rapid charge the car a few times before you bought it and that would artificially inflate the readout. Then, it would drop back down over the following weeks and finally rest where it really is.

You’ve not done any damage to it. Especially over such a short period of time. The damage will have been done by the past owner possibly by leaving it sitting with a very high or very low SOC.

It should flatten out soon. Or you can wait until the lockdown ends and take it for a long trip, get a few rapid charges in and see it magically return to around 90% again.

For the benefit of cell balancing as mentioned above me, I’d say just charge to 100 and don’t let it go below 20% much. Especially if the car is being used every day I see no issue with charging to full.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
So presumably you have lost your first bar now? Or was it gone when you picked the car up?
SoH can be boosted in the short term by rapid charges and charging to 100% for battery balancing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So presumably you have lost your first bar now? Or was it gone when you picked the car up?
SoH can be boosted in the short term by rapid charges and charging to 100% for battery balancing.
Hi no I still have all the bars haven't lost the first one yet but I'm guessing this is imminent!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SOH is regularly all over the place. All the dealer/seller had to do was rapid charge the car a few times before you bought it and that would artificially inflate the readout. Then, it would drop back down over the following weeks and finally rest where it really is.

You’ve not done any damage to it. Especially over such a short period of time. The damage will have been done by the past owner possibly by leaving it sitting with a very high or very low SOC.

It should flatten out soon. Or you can wait until the lockdown ends and take it for a long trip, get a few rapid charges in and see it magically return to around 90% again.

For the benefit of cell balancing as mentioned above me, I’d say just charge to 100 and don’t let it go below 20% much. Especially if the car is being used every day I see no issue with charging to full.
Thank you, that's what I'll do from now on. Just charge to 100, once it's charged should I leave it plugged in for a few hours still for the cells to balance out?

Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also when they say not too leave it at 100% for a long period of time. What do we mean? A few hours or just make sure you use the car the same day sort of thing.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
My regime, with an October 2014 Leaf 24 is to set it to charge on timer every night, with an end time of 07:20. I usually leave to head to work around 07:50 and "Economy 7" rates run until 07:30.

Tuesday to Sunday it's set to charge to 80%, with a charge to 100% on Mondays (i.e for 07:20 Monday morning).

So far I still have all 12 bars, so presumably SOH is above 85%. The weekly 100% charge allows it to balance the battery, and keeping to 80% most days minimises time spent at 100%. Having the battery sitting at 100% for a few hours a week will do no harm whatsoever. Sitting occasionally at 100% for a day or two is also unlikely to do any harm - but I wouldn't be keen to park up at 100% for a week.

This is assuming that your daily usage allows you to get home at > 20% charge. If your daily usage takes it regularly down below about 20% when starting out at 80%, I'd be more inclined to charge to 100% each day instead, especially if charging overnight (so not immediately when you get home). With my commute of about 20 miles each way, 80% is fine for everyday use.
If I go further than usual and return at <20% charge I usually set it to charge immediately rather than waiting for the charge timer (I normally just plug in when I get home, unless I know I'm going to be taking the car out again the same day).

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Hi Guys,

Bought a Nissan Leaf 2015 24kwh teckna on March 15th 2020.

When I bought it, it was on 43829 miles full service history Nissan and battery health was showing 92% SOH. I had it from a car garage and it was set to charge to 100% possibly by the previous owner as nothing else had been reset.

Following advice on the forums etc I set it to charge up to 80% on the charging timer. In the last month we've put a good few miles on it as my wife's been using it for work she's NHS so they're flat out with the corona virus. However I've been keeping my eye on the SOH using leafspy and here are the figures.

15th March - 43829 - 92.87%
28th March - 44369 - 88.24%
1st April - 44490 - 88.31%
5th April - 44696 - 87.31%
10th April - 44843 - 86.00%
14th April - 44959 - 85.65%

Up until about 4 days ago I'd been charging using the 3 pin plug whilst I waited for my wall charger be put in. I don't know what I'm doing wrong for this to be plummeting down like this. I rarely drop below 20% and had been charging to 80% every night with that long life battery mode enabled and set to 80% on the charge timer. Car has only ever had 47 QC according to leaf spy.

Should I set it to 100% any advice greatly appreciated I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Car is still showing all its bars at the moment but how long that'll last I've no idea. Its not driven fast or hard either.

Thank you
Battery NEEDS some Chademo high amperage charging to gain full health (like all those taxis) plus a balance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is lots of rapid chargers near me literally within 5 min drive would you let it run down to 20% and then go rapid charge?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My regime, with an October 2014 Leaf 24 is to set it to charge on timer every night, with an end time of 07:20. I usually leave to head to work around 07:50 and "Economy 7" rates run until 07:30.

Tuesday to Sunday it's set to charge to 80%, with a charge to 100% on Mondays (i.e for 07:20 Monday morning).

So far I still have all 12 bars, so presumably SOH is above 85%. The weekly 100% charge allows it to balance the battery, and keeping to 80% most days minimises time spent at 100%. Having the battery sitting at 100% for a few hours a week will do no harm whatsoever. Sitting occasionally at 100% for a day or two is also unlikely to do any harm - but I wouldn't be keen to park up at 100% for a week.

This is assuming that your daily usage allows you to get home at > 20% charge. If your daily usage takes it regularly down below about 20% when starting out at 80%, I'd be more inclined to charge to 100% each day instead, especially if charging overnight (so not immediately when you get home). With my commute of about 20 miles each way, 80% is fine for everyday use.
If I go further than usual and return at <20% charge I usually set it to charge immediately rather than waiting for the charge timer (I normally just plug in when I get home, unless I know I'm going to be taking the car out again the same day).
Thanks for all this advice it's really helpful. Charging to 80% is normally more than enough for the daily commute coming back on 30-40% but I wonder if never charging to 100% is not doing it any good at the moment.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rapid charge based on what is most convenient (and cheapest).
In all honesty I've no need to rapid charge but if it's going to help look after the batteries health then I'm happy to go to a rapid charger every so often and charge up

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
As you can see there's no consensus on the best thing to do. Personally I charge to 100% occasionally but only if the car is going to be used relatively (hours not days) soon afterwards.
I don't believe that Rapid charging is beneficial, and should only be done when the battery temperature has cooled.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts