Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still awaiting my home charge point so using nearby points. The first couple of times I plugged into a CCS Rapid and got around 43kW. Tonight the rapid was in use when I passed so I went to a twin outlet where both sockets are rated at 22kW. I thought I would be able to bump up the charge rate in the car from the 16amp showing to 32 amp but it was not for moving. This is using the Tesla supplied type 2 to type 2 cable which I thought was three-phase and could cope with 22kW/32amp but looking at the manual (page 129) it says the current is automatically set to the maximum current available from the attached cable.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scunner, I was hoping that it would charge faster at the 22kW post using the supplied cable. Rather than sit in the car, as I do at the rapid, I just walked home so will need to walk back in about 1 hour and 40 minutes (just checked the app).

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just check the Tesla app for a 360° live view from the car's 8 cameras to see if the rapid is already available.

wait, this update is not out yet.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,504 Posts
22 kW AC charging was only available on early Model S cars.

Even the current S and X cars can only charge at 17 kW.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,606 Posts
Text Font Line Technology Screenshot

·
3,606 Posts
I get 31 miles per hour with my Rolec home charger, sometimes 32, happy with that.
I guess your mph charging rate depends on what mpkWh you were getting during the preceding days.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, it kind of explains it to me in my non-electrical mind. It is because it was charging on AC that I was limited to the 16amp, is that correct? I had kind of assumed that because it was a 22kW unit that it would only be approximately half the speed of the 50kW rapid using CCS but I was only getting around 43 mph.

·
3,606 Posts
Ah, it kind of explains it to me in my non-electrical mind. It is because it was charging on AC that I was limited to the 16amp, is that correct? I had kind of assumed that because it was a 22kW unit that it would only be approximately half the speed of the 50kW rapid using CCS but I was only getting around 43 mph.
Using CCS you’re charging with DC so can go straight in the battery (That’s why the charger is so big, as it converts AC from the grid to DC for the battery).

Using an AC point means the car’s onboard charger has to convert AC to DC before it goes into the battery (That’s why AC charging posts are smaller).

In the i3, the onboard charger is rated at 11kW. This is the maximum you’ll get even if you use a 22kW fast charger (using a three phase cable), or a 43kW AC rapid charger.

Reactions: Squiff and h8ten

·
3,606 Posts
It will be interesting what I get when I have my new unit installed and can charge at home.
You will have the choice of installing a 16A unit or a 32A one. They will charge at 3.6kW (~15mph) or 7.2kW (~30mph) respectively.

Most go for the more powerful charging point in case they get a larger battery vehicle in the future.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I already have a 32 amp one but it is a tethered Rolec with a type 1, it is going to be replaced with a 32 amp zappi untethered. Then when my brother visits he can still get a charge as he currently does with my old Ampera.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Was the car quoting 16A? 43mph of range sounds like the full 11KW which is 16A per phase on three phases or 48A total.
the internal charger can manage 11KW from AC, but you will only get that from a 3phase supply. A home charger (or most basic public chargers) only uses 1 phase with a maximum of 32A or 7.2KW

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Was the car quoting 16A? 43mph of range sounds like the full 11KW which is 16A per phase on three phases or 48A total.
the internal charger can manage 11KW from AC, but you will only get that from a 3phase supply. A home charger (or most basic public chargers) only uses 1 phase with a maximum of 32A or 7.2KW
Aye, the car was quoting 16 amp which made me think I might only have a single phase cable. It was showing 43mph when I was getting around 165mph on one rapid and 135 on another.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I guess your mph charging rate depends on what mpkWh you were getting during the preceding days.
Maybe it does work like that, I don't know...

@Riz_Neo has the same charger as me, what's your miles per kWh Riz?

I'm consistently getting 31 miles per hour charging rate
(I'll need to look in my car tomorrow to get my average miles per kWh.)

·
3,606 Posts
Maybe it does work like that, I don't know...

Riz_Neo has the same charger as me, what's your miles per kWh Riz?

I'm consistently getting 31 miles per hour charging rate
(I'll need to look in my car tomorrow to get my average miles per kWh.)
If you put an @ before the username, they will be alerted.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts