Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I test drove an i3 and noticed that you can change to charging level. I can't remember exactly what options there were but think it was Max/low/min or something like that.
Does anybody know what the actual charge rate is in kW or amps? I know the car charges at 32amps on max but how low does it go on the others?
Also I think it has an option for rate of charge when a slow charger is connected, is that giving you the option of 6 or 10 amps perhaps?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can give an insight.
I'll get mine next week and am curious :)

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Jack, that's good to know. Interesting to possibly issues as well.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Its not US only, its part of the August Service Bulletin. It seems to be more pronounced in america, probably due to climate.

There is currently no way to see what rate you are charging at nor SOC %, this is rumoured to be fixed in a further Service Bulletin later this year early next.

I have the latest SB, but only notice the curtailing of charging when its really warm 25(I have another issue with my EVSE that means I can use MAX charge on L2 charging but thats another story and hopefully should be fixed soon)

Its only a rough guess though as I can only read the power from my smart meter...

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Its not US only, its part of the August Service Bulletin. It seems to be more pronounced in america, probably due to climate.
That does seem to be the case - I've not noticed any drop off at all since the update here in the UK - still a solid 7.4kW until it tapers at the end.
There is currently no way to see what rate you are charging at nor SOC %
I've never really understood the concern over SOC % - the bar showing SOC has pixel accuracy and provides vastly more resolution than the Leaf. If SOC % is added I hope it's optional and not cluttering up the display all the time.

It seems to me that showing someone a big % remaining display is a sure fire way to encourage range anxiety.

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
It seems to me that showing someone a big % remaining display is a sure fire way to encourage range anxiety.
How can knowing you have X% of charge left encourage range anxiety. I would much rather know I was about to run out with plenty of notice.:confused:
The whole reason I have gone down the REX route is that my wife refuses to suffer ANY range anxiety, with her saying the car can only tavel another 50 mile is a no go. I tried to get her to test drive a LEAF when they first came out and she was only then driving a max of 70 miles a day. You would have thought I had told her I was selling one of the kids. Now after living with the Volt for nearly 2 years she has much more confidence, the car only ever has 60 miles of petrol in it unless she is going on a very long trip.:)

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
How can knowing you have X% of charge left encourage range anxiety. I would much rather know I was about to run out with plenty of notice.:confused:
You keep looking at it. You obsess over it.

This is fine if you like that kind of thing, but for people who just want to drive a good* range estimation and a SOC bar makes more sense. I understand that early tech people like %ages and to fine tune their driving skills, but most people will freak out when they see it drop.

* Ie., not the one in the Leaf.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Doesn't the i3 have a % age SoC indicator within the iDrive eDrive display? I'm sure I saw one in there - the Active E definitely had one in the same place.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
The rex lets you see the % SOC, on the REX activation page. Not sure the BEV has it though, I really have never bothered with it, the GOM is good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Thought I'd tack this on here rather than start a new thread. Seems apposite - my i3 REx has gone in today owing to an airbag / safety restraint system warning coming on every time I start up, and although I have not had a problem with the KLE yet BMW are replacing it with the redesigned unit. I'm using their identically equipped REx while this happens.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Cool good to know new KLE's are out in the wild now. You don't know if they are doing anything with REM modules, theres supposed to be a new REM module coming soon as well.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
REM - range extender emachine for the uninitiated. Some REMs have too much moisture trapped in them due to a manufacturing issue the part and factory are being redesigned. When running the rex for long periods the moisture evaporates and condenses in the top of the REM and it registers as a current leakage fault due to higher resistance and you get a service light.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow @Jack you know your stuff! Sounds like exactly what happened to me :)
I took it in a few weeks ago as it was doing my head in saying it needed a service when I used the REx for a while.
They claimed they put a new controller box in...
Seems though that I now have reduced charging speeds which is annoying. 5 or so hours for a 'fast' charge is tedious.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Golden rule always speak to the tech :p Also having access to some service training manuals also helps :p http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11837#p11837

The November software does make the temperature dependant charging less aggressive, I have noticed mine now charging close to the max, but the proper solution is the new KLE. It also stops the immediate charge behaviour when SOC < 20% and off-peak charging is set - however it does stop off-peak charging working with BMW branded EVSE.

I have had no confirmation on this, but it seems like North America was prioritised for KLEs as they had the problem most frequently ( I suspect 110v vs 240v ), and far fewer incidents in the EU, they were/are massively supply constrained so only people who had issues with KLE or pre-delivery i3's have been getting new ones.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts