Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe, ZE40 Q90
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone advise how to tell what rate a public charger is delivering?
Attached is a picture of a recent charging session at an Ecotricity charger (AC).
How i see it is the charger was charging st 25kw and not the 43kw the Zoe is capable of?
14.1kwh in 34 minutes gives 0.414 kwh per minute, multiply by 60 gives 24.8.
Cheers

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
566 Posts
The user interface varies from device to device, it's pretty inconsistent. I can't get the live KW reading on some chargers either and my car does not report it so I have to calculate it based on the predicted time-to-full.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,277 Posts
On AC you just have to work it out for yourself (or use an OBD dongle) only DC commonly shows the rate of charge.

What the screen tells you is what the unit is outputting, not what is going into your battery. There are losses. If your calculation says 25kW its probably more like 22kW for example.

These DBT units definitely can supply up to the full 42-43kW. It's your car that's taking less. To charge a Q90 Rapidly you need to have a very warm battery and a very low state of charge. You'll then charge faster, but even at full speed you're looking at 38kW as your max in terms of what actually goes into your battery.

·
Registered
993 Posts
With the 22 kWh battery Zoe, each 1% of battery charge should take about 20 seconds to add when the car's taking 43kW, On a 41 kWh battery it should be about 35 seconds for a 1% change. I've not allowed for charging losses so it might be a couple of seconds longer. It can be useful to time the charging when you are getting to higher battery percentages to work out when the charge rate is being throttled back and it's time to move on.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe, ZE40 Q90
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the 22 kWh battery Zoe, each 1% of battery charge should take about 20 seconds to add when the car's taking 43kW, On a 41 kWh battery it should be about 35 seconds for a 1% change. I've not allowed for charging losses so it might be a couple of seconds longer. It can be useful to time the charging when you are getting to higher battery percentages to work out when the charge rate is being throttled back and it's time to move on.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,663 Posts
For MG EZS owners, with the ignition on (it won't drive away with the plug in(don't try it, just in case your car is the exception)) scroll down 3 times from the speedo screen and there you will find the power out/in screen. Multiply the volts by the amps (minus figure whilst charging) and you'll get kWs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts