Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An interesting comparison of charging speeds, particularly when comparing km. per hour at 12:50 in the video:

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,867 Posts
Probably important to point out this is on an Ionity 350 kW charger, which are unlikely to appear in large numbers in the UK for a while yet.

The comparison is also with a Model X with a 90 kWh battery. Tesla are just about to up charging speeds to 145 kW and higher with the M3.

The general reality in the UK for public CCS chargers will be somewhere less than a 43 kw charging speed I’m afraid.

I’m sure someone can work out the equivalent km/hour for this. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Probably important to point out this is on an Ionity 350 kW charger, which are unlikely to appear in large numbers in the UK for a while yet.

The comparison is also with a Model X with a 90 kWh battery. Tesla are just about to up charging speeds to 145 kW and higher with the M3.

The general reality in the UK for public CCS chargers will be somewhere less than a 43 kw charging speed I’m afraid.

I’m sure someone can work out the equivalent km/hour for this. :)
Looks like we might get a decent network of 100kw chargers this year, going by current progress.

I am of the belief that due to the ranges required in the UK, 100kw will be plenty fast enough for the majority of uses.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Which one are you thinking of?
Can’t say as I’ve looked into it in much detail yet. Ionity, Alfa Power, Instavolt etc all see to be expanding their networks with 100kw capable chargers. Sure I’ve seen some Polar and Pod Point 100kw rapids being announced on twitter too

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,867 Posts
Can’t say as I’ve looked into it in much detail yet. Ionity, Alfa Power, Instavolt etc all see to be expanding their networks with 100kw capable chargers. Sure I’ve seen some Polar and Pod Point 100kw rapids being announced on twitter too
Ah. Well this is the problem. 100 kW charger doesn’t mean you’ll get 100 kW charging.
  • Ionity currently have three sites under construction with 175 kW chargers
  • InstaVolt are all 50 kW chargers, although good availability
  • Alfa Power are limited to 200 Amps with CCS, so that would work out about 70 kW with a Kona/Niro
Not sure about PodPoint, but expect they are limited to 200 Amps as well on CCS.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Ionity have 6 actual but only 3 listed.

Alfa have upgrade several to 250a now, but need to swap cables to get higher.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
I'd love Tesla charging speed, but as I'm unlikely to be buying a Tesla any time soon I'd be happier with 73kW than 43.
While sitting on a Polar charger at 43kW this evening I was saying it would be great to be able to charge at 75kW, 20 mins would have been plenty of time for what I needed to get home instead of having to wait for 35 mins.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,102 Posts
Maybe worth noting that Instavolt say:

"Our charging units can be upgraded up to 350kW as battery technology develops."

Instavolt CEO has also said (in Nov 2017):

"As battery range increases, you need to increase the charge rate which leads you to 50kw DC rapid chargers, which we want to increase to 350kw over the next three years.”

1 - 12 of 12 Posts