Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

I hope it is OK to post a technical query?

I am a newcomer to the group, not yet owning an electric car but planning to. Am also an electronics engineer so planning to design and build my own charging station. I have done a lot of "googling around! looking for charging specifications, the most useful documents seem to be Wikipedia articles on the American J1772 connector (Type 1) and the IEC 62196 mostly about the Type 2 connector. The signals on the Contol Pilot line seem clear enough, if a little bizzare.
But the Proximity Pilot arrangements seem confused and contadictory
With J1772 , if I understand correctly Chargers usually use a captive lead*, (no connector at charger end) which is 150 ohms to ground on the PP line which will disable the car from moving whilst plugged in, when you wish to remove the plug from the car you must press a button which as well as mechanically unlatching the plug raises the resistance on the PP line to 480 ohms, this will maintain the vehicle disable but signals the car charger to stop drawing current, presumably to stop pin burning as the plug is removed. Fair enough but with Type 2 connectors which would normally have a seperate lead with connector at each end the IEC62196 article stipulates different resistor values (in the lead) presumably to ground to indicate the maximum capacity of the lead to the charger in the car, so is there any connection to the PP lead at the house end of the lead? if so, what? Does the the house end check this in any way? If tha car is type 1 connector and you are using an type 1/2 adaptor lead what do you provide?

If someone could assist or point me at an article which would give more info?

Thanks

Don Scott

* or a Type 1 to Type2 adaptor lead to a charging station with type 2 socket.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
It's probably best to get a copy of the actual J1772 specification if you are planning to build a charger - it goes into lots of detail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion I should obtain the original IEC document, sadly this is in 3 parts starting at 290 euros for the first document and ending up at 550 euros ! I was hoping to get the info rather more cheaply than that! And yes I am in the UK (North Wales).

·
Registered
647 Posts
The charging station ("house end") will also check PP in the cable so that it does not solicit more current on the pilot than for which the cable is rated. So, on one end you have the charger in the EV aware of the cable's current rating, and you also have the charging station independently aware of it at the other end.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
@Don Scott if you're in Europe then ignore the J1772 standard and purchase the IEC standards. They will answer your questions :)
Good point, however my consideration was that IEC 62196-1 is about £200, yet J1772 is only £40.

I only have J1772 so can't compare the contents - do you have both Kevin? If so are you able to let us know if the IEC version contains significantly more info?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts