Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Forum

With my first post I would like to report about my little summer project.

Together with a good friend of mine (he is an electrician) I set up a 380V / 32A Walther e-Boxx in my garden, here in D-85395 Thalham/Attenkirchen (Germany). The charging station can be used in exchange for an optional donation.

To give our visitors information about the charging costs we build a mini computer (Raspberry Pi) into the wallbox. This mini computer is connected to a digital power meter over a S0 bus. With this connection the Raspberry Pi can read the power consumption and calculate the costs.This information is then displayed on an also build in monitor. As the Pi is connected to the internet, it can also publish the charging status on a website and sent emails about the charging status.

The complete set up and software is published "open source" on our website. You will also find pictures and a video of the charging station there. Additional information on Thalham and further background infos on the box are also published there.

Link: http://www.arachnon.de/wb/pages/en/welcome.php

Have fun surfing the site ...

Questions and suggestions are welcome of course.

Greetinx

marxx

Attachments

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Sounds like an excellent project. Would be perfect for installation at my workplace.

The biggest problem why my workplace won't install a charging stations is the fact they want the user to pay for the power that they use.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I wouldn't mind to pay at work for a reasonable fee (shouldn't cost more than at home), but I've been told that my workplace uses massive diesel generators because for them it costs cheaper than to buy

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Same here - one of many objections was the desire to charge for the electricity. Sadly the FD saw it as a potential profit centre and was keen to bill 25-50p per kWh. Combined with all the other challenges, the 10 minute walk from the nearest public car park with charging points was far more attractive!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hey @marxx welcome to the forum.

That's a fantastic project! but it's clearly unfinished ;) When will the Pi Cam snap a picture of the charging car, perform character recognition on the license plate and log to an online database and send an email with charge details and attached image to registered owner?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Parax.

Yep, the sky is the limit with a Raspberry Pi :) Though I would have some data privacy issues with your suggestion :))

Greetinx

marxx

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hey Parax.

Yep, the sky is the limit with a Raspberry Pi :) Though I would have some data privacy issues with your suggestion :))

Greetinx

marxx
Yeah would have to be registered user to receive email, but logging your own post should not cause any privacy issues (like cctv) especially if you made it clear in some sort of Terms & Conditions of use of the charger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts