Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well do you think you understand the difference charging terms and technologies? The card and payment systems, the benefits and incentives?

If it's not great, how easy (or otherwise) have you found researching and learning about these things to be?

Also, who do you think should be spreading this knowledge most?

For me, even now I own an EV, it's a bit confusing, I'm getting there, but it could be better. I'm not sure on the answer, but overall I feel that Tesla appear to have the right approach, in keeping everything in-house and simple for their customers.

I'd be interested to know others' thoughts on this, either newcomers or more experienced EV owners.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 30kwh Tekna (2016)
113 Posts
I thought there was one-fits-all? Do i need to be concerned about whether a charge point fits my car?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A little, although not as much as I thought. Main issues in the UK appear to be if it'll be a domestic plug-type charge point or not. I still need to learn more about the terminology, but I have two charging cables in my car, and rapid chargers have the charge cables wired to them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We've come across the cable issue already. Went to the Hub in MK last weekend and thought we'd take advantage of a free charge but all the posts nearby were 32A and we only have the 13A plug cable. So we just parked in Sainsbury's instead.
So has anyone found a cheap supplier of 32A charging cables? Most of the ones I've seen add up to £200 after VAT and delivery and that seems awfully steep - and this coming from a man who sells hifi cables (and the sky really is the limit with those).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks like that's the going price for them. Back to MK for lunch today and all the 13A charging posts had ICE cars in them and all the empty ones weren't working. A moan to the council beckons I think.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 30kwh Tekna (2016)
113 Posts
complex stuff to keep in mind. perhaps every ev driver should receive a welcome pack, with maps, adapters and cables... and a big boot to keep them in ;p

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The ZCW type 2 to type 1 charging cable is down in price, btw. Plus of course they have the DIY kit for those who want to make their own portable charging station. Watch the video to learn more ( I filmed and edited it ) links from their website Shop or visit their YouTube channel. Kevin explains what the innards of all EVSE charging stations do.
Link to video:

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
About 18 months ago I set up a web site to explain all the charging technologies, cables, speeds of charge, everything really about charging. I stopped because I thought that others would probably be doing it and so I went on to other things but I am surprised that there is still so little info on all this. There are some bits around but there still isn't a single place you can go to to get all the info...

So I am resurrecting this site...

evcharging.org.uk

It is in build now and I hope to have at least some info up by the endo f the week. A site like this will be quite big as there is a lot of information and some of it is difficult to explain... perhaps more difficult to explain than to actually understand funnily enough :)

When the site launches I will want as many experienced EVers out there to read it and point out the mistakes... I hate giving incorrect info & I want the site to become a centre of excellence for info on charging an EV... all EVs, not just the ones I have... so I will need input from owners of other EVs if the site if to be all encompassing.

Watch this space... well, watch the evcharging.org.uk space!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's cool, I am hoping to put together a sort of "visual guide" to the basics (if that's possible), an "infographic" if you will... make the complex stuff simple, but I do think more in depth - single point of reference - information is needed. Needs to be for a global audience too I feel, so we all know where we're coming from.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Why do the dealers not let every one know about the charge cables, type 1 13amp for eg nissan leaf you can upgrade to a 32am cable, so you can charge on a 32amp post, Renault Zoe type 2 only no 13amp charge cable.

13amp charge post compatible with nissan leaf (Zoe incompatible) slow charge 10 mlies for every hour
32amp compatible with nissanleaf with type one cable upgrade. Compatible with Renalut Zoe from standard. 30 mlies for every hour
AC rapid charger compatible with the Renault Zoe
DC rapid Charger compatible with nissanleaf and most vehicles with the DC rapid charge port.
I learnt most of this from Paul_Churchley's. I might of got some of this wrong but I alwas follow this basic set of rules

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Why do the dealers not let every one know about the charge cables, type 1 13amp for eg nissan leaf you can upgrade to a 32am cable, so you can charge on a 32amp post, Renault Zoe type 2 only no 13amp charge cable.
I know there are some excellent dealers out there and I wouldn't want to damn them all with a generalisation but the truth of the matter is that not many dealers or their sales people know any of this stuff.

There really isn't any excuse in my opinion. The dealers should be taking on the responsibility of training up potential and new owners. Instead, they seem to be selling an EV and just handing it over with little or no extra regard to the fact it is an EV.

Even the good ones only know about their cars and have little knowledge of public charging or planning long trips etc.

I am hoping that the Wiki will pull together the info people need into a single place. As it grows it will become a fountain of knowledge for owners and dealers.

If anyone wants to add anything please go right ahead. Once the info is there we can always do the formatting for you.

If you want us to add anything then don't say on this thread. Instead I will start a new thread for Wiki requests.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts