Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
I notice the Kona EV has a CCS plug, but I have never seen a CCS charger, although they must be out there.
I assume the other plug is a type 2.
As motorway services are a great place for travellers, and I have never seen a CCS, how do you fast charge?
Loads of CCS all over the place ...! Possibly currently slightly out-numbered by CHAdeMO but varies across the country.

According to Zapmap at June 2020, for the UK:
"there are 2696 devices with a JEVS CHAdeMO 50-100kW connector, 1795 devices with a Type 2 Mennekes 43kW connector, 2465 with a CCS Combo 50-350kW connector and 454 Tesla superchargers (Type 2 & CCS). "

·
Registered
359 Posts
I notice the Kona EV has a CCS plug, but I have never seen a CCS charger, although they must be out there.
As motorway services are a great place for travellers, and I have never seen a CCS, how do you fast charge?
If you have been charging at home, you will have only used the round connector. CCS uses the extra two connections at the bottom of the socket. you have to remove the small protective cap to access them. A lot of chargers need a phone app or RFID card to use them. If you set the filter in Zap-Map to "contactless payment", you will be able to pay by debit card. Instavolt, Engenie, BP/Polar, Shell all allow contactless payments. The motorway chargers need an app to allow you to charge.

Andy on EVM has a down to earth approach on his channel.

Hope that helps.
Have fun. :)

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,098 Posts
Other than a small few Ecotricity chargers at the quieter motorway service stations and IKEA stores, and obviously the Chademo only units at Nissan dealers I haven’t really seen any rapid chargers that DONT have CCS.

As mentioned take a look at Zap Map. There are loads of suitable rapid chargers all over the UK that a Kona will happily charge at.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
468 Posts
Only an issue for journeys greater than 250 miles. Granted we took delivery of ours just before lockdown, but we've only charged at two places - home and our son's home (100 miles away). Never needed to use a public charger. yet.

·
Registered
Kona 64
556 Posts
In happier times I would be looking for free places to charge whilst out and about. At the Park & Ride car park for instance a free 7kw charger. But the Park & Ride is closed and In any case who wants to use public transport at present.?
I am only doing a small mileage so all the charge I need I can get by slow charging at home for free off the solar panels . It hasn't cost anything to charge at home since March.

Looking forward to life after lock down.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
468 Posts
So jealous. I so wish I had solar panels esp with battery backup. If I had say £20k that is what I'd like to put it towards.

• solar panels
  • battery storage
  • wizadry to tie it all together (incl zappi)
  • 3 phase supply
  • installer fees

I say £20k. I've not priced this up, so that is a number completely off the top of my head. (Obviously everyone's costs are different...)

I know this is not a cheap project. But it increases resilience. Given pandemics, brexit and whatever else is going on a I consider this kind of resilience very appealing.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
A) try using any connector lying around in the 2 holes and see if they work
B) don't try any msa as they are not great places for Kona EV travellers.
C) many authentic travellers have 1hp power supply which can recharge satisfactorily overnight on the grass verge.

·
Registered
Kona 64
556 Posts
So jealous. I so wish I had solar panels esp with battery backup. If I had say £20k that is what I'd like to put it towards.

• solar panels
  • battery storage
  • 3 phase supply
  • installer fees
I say £20k. I've not priced this up, so that is a number completely off the top of my head. (Obviously everyone's costs are different...)

I know this is not a cheap project. But it increases resilience. Given pandemics, brexit and whatever else is going on a I consider this kind of resilience very appealing.
Have you watched Robert Llewelyn’s latest video? A battery back up is on my wish list but the numbers do not quite stack up to make it a good investment. However living in a village and being used to the odd power cut (always at the most inconvenient time), the battery back is very tempting.

·
Registered
359 Posts

• solar panels
  • battery storage
  • 3 phase supply
  • installer fees

I've had solar for about 5 years now and it saves me around £800 a year on the electricity bill. Last year I used some of my retirement lump sum to invest in a Powervault 8 kWh battery. Over the 12 months, with the solar, it has saved me over £1,000. As for charging on solar, when I got the Kona, I started logging the charging. In April I charged 61 kWh (280 miles). In May, I charged 84 kWh (390 miles), and so far this month I have charged 31 kWh (150 miles).

I would say, "shop around" and get some quotes and definately go for it. The satisfaction of seeing all that sunlight go into your car and battery is unbeatable. Set faces to smug. :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Many thanks.
With Ecotricity chargers I have seen you have the option of Chademo and an AC Type 2 socket.
Can you use the AC charger with the Kona?
Yes if you want to be there all day. It will charge at a rate of 7kW (regardless of the power available from the charge point) - its limited by the car's onboard ac-dc rectifier capacity.

Reactions: henryv

·
Registered
60 Posts
Many thanks.
With Ecotricity chargers I have seen you have the option of Chademo and an AC Type 2 socket.
Can you use the AC charger with the Kona?
You can use an AC type 2 but it will only charge to a max of 7kwh. The rapid charging needs to be done on DC, hence the CCS
the CCS is just as easy to use on the Kona as type 2

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes Bluelink Europe. I think it is very good, but can only compare it to Nissan EV which I had for the Leaf. Which was OK when it worked?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Is there an app for the Kona EV?
I use Bluelink all the time to keepan eye on the solar charging. Great little app. Also noticed before lockdown when I left it on the free charger at Tesco, that it showed where I was and where the car was. I can imagine that would be useful if someone knicked the car.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
75 Posts
I have had my Kona since mid February this year, 2200 miles, charging on solar panels (installed Jan 2019), cost of charging so far £4.40 mostly in February / March before my Zappi home charger was installed. The Zappi being one of the chargers that allows you to choose only use solar PV power and then only when it is spare, i.e. not being used by the house. Solar PV is paying for itself in about 9.5 years which is in line with the quotes / sales pitch and excludes the car.

I haven't yet worked out my fuel savings, currently around £300 IIRC, but this year has been a bit different from usual hasn't it. I am working on the idea that the extra cost of the battery should be repayable from the fuel savings. Putting it simply if you intend to live in your current property for over 10 years, it is worth trying to get solar panels installed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts